Launch Control on FR DSG?

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Hi,

Ordered my FR DSG on Friday... Can anyone with a similar car confirm whether Launch Control works?

According to the GTi guys on UK-mkvs.net this is the procedure:

Select S
Disable ESP
Foot on Brake
Foot on Accelerator
Revs will spike then settle down to 2500rpm
Then wait for the green light and take your foot off the brake

There have been videos posted showing stock GTi's getting 0-60 in 6 seconds but I'm not sure I believe that... Almost a second faster with the DSG?!?!

But this was v. interesting: http://www.thenet.eclipse.co.uk/images/GTIDragTest.zip

The VW boys all seem to be paranoid about using Launch Control, apparantly one of them was told that using it too many times invalidates your warranty but others have sought confirmation one way or another from the $tealerships and have been told that they aren't told to look for Launch Control usage with VAGcom.

Anyway, has any one with a DSG tried this? If so - does it work?!

TIA

fM

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I was in an FR DSG and I mentioned it to the driver, we couldn't quite remember the procedure, but what you've posted seems to ring a bell.

He tried it and it didn't work :shrug:

G!zmond0

I have a friend who has bought a c 320 MB with 7g tronic which also was faster than the manual.
The thing that bothers me with the fr is that the engine that goes with the DSG is 140 hp.
Can it be boosted to 200 hp and more,or it will cause probs to the dsg ?

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
I have a friend who has bought a c 320 MB with 7g tronic which also was faster than the manual.
The thing that bothers me with the fr is that the engine that goes with the DSG is 140 hp.
Can it be boosted to 200 hp and more,or it will cause probs to the dsg ?

The FR DSG is only available in Petrol guise and is 200 bhp.

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
So something as highly sought after as launch control on the 2nd hottest Leon in the range is kept a secret by all the dealers.

Sounds like cr*p to me.

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
It isn't in the Golf GTi manual either, but its there... It is in the GTi 30 manual but apparantly says something like "don't use it too much"

andycupra

status subject to change
The VW boys all seem to be paranoid about using Launch Control, apparantly one of them was told that using it too many times invalidates your warranty but others have sought confirmation one way or another from the $tealerships and have been told that they aren't told to look for Launch Control usage with VAGcom.
fM

i heard if you open the glove box too many times or get the car dirty this also invalidates the warranty... ;)

however, seriously, as its not in the manual im sure they could get shirty. but if your not changing anything i cant see what your doing wrong...

Last edited:

pr0ton

May 28, 2006
If some function is in the car, they can't deny warranty, even if you use it a million times. Otherwise they should leave that function out completely.

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
@ pr0ton - exactly the kind of discussions that have raged on the Dub forums.

@ andycupra - lol! I had to gaffer tape my glove box shut as the wife was so close to invalidating the warranty on my Golf - she kept her sweets in there...

ents

Jan 12, 2007
Tallinn - Estonia
If some function is in the car, they can't deny warranty, even if you use it a million times. Otherwise they should leave that function out completely.

well... under VAG COM there are also many features you can switch on-off. That does not mean you can do it yourself.
You can ofcourse say that you found it by mistake :)

pr0ton

May 28, 2006
well... under VAG COM there are also many features you can switch on-off. That does not mean you can do it yourself.
You can ofcourse say that you found it by mistake :)

But if it's on by default, there is no way they can deny the warranty. I'm pretty sure they didn't put it there just for NOT to use it. Especially if you can use it without entering any codes or other mumbo-jumbo.

ents

Jan 12, 2007
Tallinn - Estonia
But if it's on by default, there is no way they can deny the warranty. I'm pretty sure they didn't put it there just for NOT to use it. Especially if you can use it without entering any codes or other mumbo-jumbo.

just messing with you but... To Launch Control you have to push 2 pedals at the same time. Thats not allowed in normal circumstance and may brake the transmission. The warranty may be voided for that reason.
Of course the reality is that probably theres no problem with the system or the dealer