shortened rear shocks?

ibizaneal

need more mods
Jun 7, 2007
Annan, near carlisle
hey folks,

as the title suggests, does anyone know where i can get a set of shortened rear shocks for my 1.2? iv tried the search function but had no joy :(

cheers neal

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
when you say shortened shocks do you mean shortened dampers to fit lowered springs or are you after a complete setup for the rear only.

I say this because lots of people find the rear too high and the front ok

ibizaneal

need more mods
Jun 7, 2007
Annan, near carlisle
i think your probably right, i only bought them because i took my car in for some warrenty work and they phoned me up and told me the rear springs were dangerous as when they took the weight off the back end the springs fell out of their seats! i got the rear dampers for £30+VAT

ibizaneal

need more mods
Jun 7, 2007
Annan, near carlisle
i thought they'd have been shorter but apparently not, according to the place that is doing warrenty work on my motor they're dangerous, because if you ever jump a bridge (as if we'd do that) or something like that then the the spring could fall out of its cup and cause you to crash! i dont know if this is true at all though, maybe some one could confirm this??

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
i removed the adjuster completly out the back the shocksarent whats making your car too high its the adjuster cup that sits under your spring

and as for the gargage saying your springs "fell out" this is normal if you have lowered springs as they are shorter they just sit between the axle and the chassis ;) unless rusted through or snapped or twisted the spring never needs to be replaced! (unless standard1's fell out

anyway they done you a favour making you buy coilovers heres my rear end without adjusters ;)

PA200009.jpg

IMG_7553.jpg

IMG_7546.jpg

does look so much better, but if you like country roads like me then iadvise youmodify the adjusters as the springs COULD jump out if you went over a big bump fast enough :doh:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
yep its gone! just sits in axle seat. like standard setup does. nice tosee some1 else has painted their jabba rear arb :D

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
i thought they'd have been shorter but apparently not, according to the place that is doing warrenty work on my motor they're dangerous, because if you ever jump a bridge (as if we'd do that) or something like that then the the spring could fall out of its cup and cause you to crash! i dont know if this is true at all though, maybe some one could confirm this??

If the springs can fall out when the car is jacked up for its MOT inspection then it will fail it's MOT.

Springs must be secure at ANY point in the suspension travel.

The only way to cure this correctly is to use shorter shocks so that the springs stay located at full travel or progressive springs that are longer to start with but close quickly to get the correct ride height.

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
So if i understand correctly then, (which i never do :doh: ) i have a set of v-maxx coilovers, in oder for my car to be MOT worthy i need to get shorter shocks than the ones already provided or else the shorter spring will come out of the spring cup??? even if i havent taken out that adjustable cup (purple thing ) as shown in the above pic

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
i have a set of v-maxx coilovers, in oder for my car to be MOT worthy i need to get shorter shocks than the ones already provided or else the shorter spring will come out of the spring cup??? even if i havent taken out that adjustable cup (purple thing ) as shown in the above pic

YES - you are understanding it correctly.

Check with an MOT station if it helps.

The springs must NOT be able to fall out at ANY point in the suspension travel.
They can become loose ( a couple of mm ) as long as it is not possible for them to dislocate from the spring cups.

I had nightmares trying to get my Nova GTE through it's MOT with lowered springs on the back. I ended up buying a cheap pair of shocks from another car with the same fitting but shorter just for the MOT.

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
the V-maxx dampers i got supplied in the kit are surely different to the standard ones ont the ibiza?? surely v-mxx must have taken the spring movement into consideration. i wont be taking the adjuster cup out, i will just be leaving everything as its supposed to be.....

i cant believe that i need to get shorter shocks aswell! :cry:

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
the V-maxx dampers i got supplied in the kit are surely different to the standard ones ont the ibiza?? surely v-mxx must have taken the spring movement into consideration. i wont be taking the adjuster cup out, i will just be leaving everything as its supposed to be.....

i cant believe that i need to get shorter shocks aswell! :cry:

Take you adjuster cup out and leave the spring in the axle seat. Then jack the car up..... If your spring falls out, then it's a MOT failure, therefore you'll require shorter dampers to compress the spring into the axle seat abit more so when you jack the car up it doesn't fall out.

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
thanks guys but the thing i just want to confirm, i think people are thinking im talking about the spring falling out with the adjuster cup taken out....im talking about having the cup in and then jacking the car up...will the spring fall out then...on a v-maxx kit.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
they defo wont with adjuster in as the adjuster is quite tall but without adjuster definatly do :D
YOU DONT NEED SHORTER SHOCKS :ban: :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.