Arosa 1.4 16v Sport - My Trackday Project - '09 End of Season Report from Page 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Yup, I've bought another Arosa!
Having previously owned an Arosa 16v Sport back in 2002 (my 'old' 02-reg car is still in the family and is actually parked next to my 'new' 52-reg one as I type!), I've been longing to get another 1.4 16v as a track project for quite some time now.

Yes: to all the 'old-timers' on here, I've finally stopped talking about doing this and am actually DOING THIS - a proper track bitch project :D

Hopefully all will be ready in time for my monster year at the Nurburgring in 2008 - starting at Easter.

So, here it is, my project for the Winter.. a 2002 (52) silver SEAT Arosa 16v Sport with 31K on the clock:

ad01.jpeg

ad02.jpeg

ad03.jpeg

The Plan:
  • Strip out interior
  • Fit custom FIA spec weld-in cage - Recommendations on where to get done?
  • Uprate brakes
  • Suspension
  • Manifold
  • BMC CDA
  • Buckets & Harnesses
  • Bodywork bits and bobs
  • Rear spoiler - (I know, but I like them)
  • Relocate battery to boot
  • Remove airbags and fit nice steering wheel
  • Replace wheels with lightweight options - Any suggestions?
  • Sell whatever I can off the car to save my kidneys..!

..Oh, and I hope to make the SCN Cadwell park track day in early Feb for a shakedown test before I drive all the way to Germany..

Yikes!

Wish me luck, lots of time, think about my knuckles and join me in hoping I get my xmas bonus! ;)

Ian

Last edited:

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Crumbs seems like a tall order for February - although anything is possible and you have a nice basis there :D Good luck with the project and keep us posted.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Cool project.

what width are the OE wheels?

You can easily disable the passenger airbag, so saves removing it (a pig of a job)

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
your cars are getting smaller and smaller mate.i remember seeing one at alconbury ,being driven on its door handles for most of the day.fun little chariot.you know where i am if you need a hand,taking things apart ;)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
just look at the arosa projects 'racer' was the best one imho

cracking little car

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
hi, thats a smart little project you got there, i'm in the middle of doin a bare shell rebuild with my mk2 polo G40 to be used in exactly the same way:thumbup:, with regards to some of the parts your after (track wheels, rollcages etc) have a word with Erick at advanced autosport technologies, he has always been good to me and has a backround in rallying and other motorsport.:)

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
:lol: yer i know wot you mean, but i've dealt with him quite a lot, give him a bit of time and he is spot on and usally offers very good prices (from my experiance), also he has some good conectoins in germany which for me running a G40 is very usfull:)

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Ian Carvell on club gti knows more about race prep lupo's than most - having won vw cup in one !
Cheers mate, I'll look him up at the weekend. The cage is the first thing that needs to be sorted, most other stuff can be done in my garage :)

your cars are getting smaller and smaller mate.i remember seeing one at alconbury ,being driven on its door handles for most of the day.fun little chariot.you know where i am if you need a hand,taking things apart ;)
Thanks mate, I'll give you a shout! A mate of mine is popping round at the weekend (who has a lupo gti) to help remove the interior.. can't afford to waste any time!)

Driving it back from London reminded me just how much fun these little cars are, the engine is a cracker considering it's only pulling 946Kg around as standard.. I wonder how much I can remove!

just look at the arosa projects 'racer' was the best one imho

cracking little car
Thanks again mate, this may end up looking a little 'arosa racer' stylee ;)

hi, thats a smart little project you got there
I certainly hope so :p

I'm fitting a cage to an Arosa over the Christmas period:)

Ahh.. is this ArosaRacer's?

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Mark Fish motorsport is where my mate just a got a very nice 6-point roll cage for his Reno 5, its a 6-point one and i believe its a weld in one, but can also be done as bolt in. Made by safety devices and has about 100 or so options for extra bits to add to it

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Update 23/12/07

One Busy Weekend!

Well, to begin with the 'new' car received a decent exterior and interior clean which even included some clay-bar action to remove some engrained tree-sap from the roof (don't anyone say this car won't be loved!):

clean1.jpg

Note the gap between rear wheel and arch in this pic for later :p
clean2.jpg

clean3.jpg

intstd1.jpg

intstd2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.