Help im loosing pretty much all power!!!

CupraDerv-chris

Hi guys & gals! Im new to this site ;) been reading a few topics on here for a while and think its about time i got some advice from you lot.

I bought a leon mk1 1.9tdi 150 around 4weeks ago now,love the car far better build quality then my vauxhall i use to own anyway,
I personally thought there was a boost leak when i bought the car so i took it to AMD last week and they replaced two boost pipes either side of the intercooler but my turbo's still making a really loud whining noise :confused: never heard a turbo diesel like it, i was booting it last night when all of a sudden pretty much all the power from the engine dissapeared,every gear i tried it felt slower than a 1.0 corsa :( and i could barely get up a hill.I managed to pull over turn the ignition on & off and straight away the car was back to its normal self??? its done this 4times now and every time i switch the car back on its fine?
Anyone have a clue to my problem?

CUPRA Rach

the car is going in to limp mode. there is a fault thats causing this, problem is it could be a multitude of things.
you need to get it vag commed to find out the prob.

CupraDerv-chris

okay-but the engine light hasn't popped up? will it still have codes on it?

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
the PD150 has a loud whistle, it does sound like limp mode. vag com should pick up the problem... (even if the light doesnt show)

my car lost some power but it was random. it felt like the turbo wasn't being told to boost even at high revs. (sounds like the same problem you have)
sent it to seat, couldnt find any fault codes, but advised changing the fuel filter as history showed it was over due...

sure enough fixed the problem. its a cheap job to do yourself (if you can) so i'd start with the little fixes before jumping to major expensive parts!

good luck!

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
try unplugging the maf, and going for a SHORT road test, see if that fixes it, if it does you can be sure its the MAF

i dont see the point of this? its a random problem the OP has, how does this cross the MAF off the list?

(not criticizing, just would like to know how this rules it out? as in my head running without a maf, doesnt the car run like a shitter?)

CupraDerv-chris

well i put my code reader on it tonight but there wasn't any codes stored my freind who's a mechanic seems to think its the maf-How much do these cost?

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
my mate, has a cupra tdi ibiza, unplugged the maf but it ran terrible like that. plugged in and was bit better.

i have a leon r and car started running crap , unplugged the maf and it ran better. maf wont show itself on vag com or throw up any faults if i remember correctly. you can however log maf flow rates on vag com if its performing right. there are threads in the search option.

i personally think its one of two options, the map might be too aggressive so car recognises that the boost is too much so pulls it into limp mode to protect itself.turning on then off resets this.

i'd probably try a new maf or swap with someone to rule that out then get the tuners to check map.

dont quote me on it. i hope either way it gets sorted for you matey. good luck.

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
my mate, has a cupra tdi ibiza, unplugged the maf but it ran terrible like that. plugged in and was bit better.

i have a leon r and car started running crap , unplugged the maf and it ran better. maf wont show itself on vag com or throw up any faults if i remember correctly. you can however log maf flow rates on vag com if its performing right. there are threads in the search option.

i personally think its one of two options, the map might be too aggressive so car recognises that the boost is too much so pulls it into limp mode to protect itself.turning on then off resets this.

i'd probably try a new maf or swap with someone to rule that out then get the tuners to check map.

dont quote me on it. i hope either way it gets sorted for you matey. good luck.

v0id

Apr 21, 2009
Leeds
hi mate I had the same problem on my 1.9 110 tdi
vag-commed it and got overboost faultcode. ended up replacing N75 solenoid and that improved it but it still happened rarely (uphill at high revs). stuck in some injector cleaner and changed filters and havent had limp mode since..
solenoid cost me about 30 quid from dealer (w/discount).
if it turns out to be your MAF, dont buy a cheapy one. go for oem.

rallynut

Dec 25, 2008
sticky turbo vanes could be do a search
causing it to go into limp mode,
give it a good belting to clean it out

Bigbhp18t

well i put my code reader on it tonight but there wasn't any codes stored my freind who's a mechanic seems to think its the maf-How much do these cost?

You can try to unplug the connection from the MAF and take the car a drive to see in there is any difference in power, By disconecting the MAF from its 5v supply will put the ecu in a generic sensor mode, and produce a maf scale based on other sensor input values.

If there is a gain in performance with the MAF unplugged then I will it is 98% going to be your problem.

If your car still pulls the same with the plug off, I would look into the tupbo intake pipe check from splits or poor connections. Plus while you have your head under the bonnet check the VTN shaft for movement and spin the turbo shaft to see it itis spinning free.

Do you have any black smoke?

Ben

CupraDerv-chris

You can try to unplug the connection from the MAF and take the car a drive to see in there is any difference in power, By disconecting the MAF from its 5v supply will put the ecu in a generic sensor mode, and produce a maf scale based on other sensor input values.

If there is a gain in performance with the MAF unplugged then I will it is 98% going to be your problem.

If your car still pulls the same with the plug off, I would look into the tupbo intake pipe check from splits or poor connections. Plus while you have your head under the bonnet check the VTN shaft for movement and spin the turbo shaft to see it itis spinning free.

Do you have any black smoke?

Ben

ill give this a try in a minute-i always thought you couldnt drive around with out the maf plugged in?? well at least you couldnt on my vauxhall astra mk4 turbo :confused: i use to have quite bad black smoke before the two leaking boost pipes where changed now i only get a bit here and there?

Thanks for everyone's advice so far [B)]

ill give this a try in a minute-i always thought you couldnt drive around with out the maf plugged in?? well at least you couldnt on my vauxhall astra mk4 turbo :confused: i use to have quite bad black smoke before the two leaking boost pipes where changed now i only get a bit here and there?

Thanks for everyone's advice so far [B)]

you can, just dont do it too long, or boot it too hard...

CupraDerv-chris

So how can i see if there's any gain in performance if i cant boot it too hard??

CupraDerv-chris

well just took it out on a test run with the maf unplugged and it ran just like it was in limp mode with no power at all so i pulled over in a lay by and plugged the maf back in and it drove fine for around a minute,was flooring it in fourth up to 4000revs up a hill and it went straight into limp mode [:@] it never use to do this

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.