Engine temperature gauge

iandjm

Nov 23, 2007
Isle of Wight
Hi,

One question. is anyone else concerned at the fact the car does not have an engine temperature gauge? It would be nice to see if things were going wrong, rather than having to wait for the engine overheating and stop engine light to come on. Maybe the centre display could have scrolled between fuel gauge and temperature gauge?

Ian

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
I am also concerned about this. The engines are reliable but i still want to know what is going on in there. There is a trick to see the temp through the clima but i don't know how to enter this mode on the mk5. I will try.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
I asked this to SEAT, they said there was no need for one. If it overheats you get a warning through the warning lights on the dash !. That was their explanation anyway !

Regards,
Andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
I am also concerned about this. The engines are reliable but i still want to know what is going on in there. There is a trick to see the temp through the clima but i don't know how to enter this mode on the mk5. I will try.

Hi there, if you do manage to get the codes up on the climate control for the MK5 please let us all know !! - i want to be able to do this too.

I know how to do it on the old Leon Cupra, but it doesn't work on the MK5 Ibiza in the same way :(

Andy

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
Hi there, if you do manage to get the codes up on the climate control for the MK5 please let us all know !! - i want to be able to do this too.

I know how to do it on the old Leon Cupra, but it doesn't work on the MK5 Ibiza in the same way :(

Andy

I am trying to find them. I know how to find them on VW and on older seats but not on the mk5. When i find something i will let you know.

I asked this to SEAT, they said there was no need for one. If it overheats you get a warning through the warning lights on the dash !. That was their explanation anyway !
Yes that is true, but the warning lights appears when the temp has reached a critical point and you have to stop the car immidietly.

yusuf_1977

the hyundai getz has a blue light on the dashboard and when stg is hot it comes red. i think the solution is better without having even a blue one on my mk5.therefore one can guess seeing the blue colour everything is ok.

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
the hyundai getz has a blue light on the dashboard and when stg is hot it comes red. i think the solution is better without having even a blue one on my mk5.therefore one can guess seeing the blue colour everything is ok.

1) When you see the blue light you don't know if the car is still cold or has reached 90 C.
2) The red light comes on when the engine is too hot which means you have to stop immidietly.
But if you had a gauge you could always know what is happening in the engine.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
In the new Golf GTI the computer has a read out of the oil temperature, does the new Ibiza not have this feature? The oil temp is far more useful than water temp. for knowing when you can bury the accelerator pedal. My mk2 Ibiza has the old VW MFA which also shows oil temp.

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
No, it does not but you can see all the info through the clima. (has anybody tried this trick ? I always forget)

WozzaM

Sep 16, 2009
Malta
Maybe having a sticky thread where people can put codes when they find em will be a good idea.

elronzo66

I was told by my Seat dealer a warning light would illuminate on the instrument panel should it overheat even in the abscence of a temp guage.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
It will do, but its still no indication of when that tdi power is warmed up enough to be unleashed

I totally agree !. However, i have a digital temp gauge fitted in there and find it gets up to 87C (pretty much as high as it gets) after around 2 miles of steady driving (when cold).

Regards,
Andy

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
I totally agree !. However, i have a digital temp gauge fitted in there and find it gets up to 87C (pretty much as high as it gets) after around 2 miles of steady driving (when cold).

Regards,
Andy

Could you post a pic of it ? I want to install one.
Thanks