Please Help - Blue Smoke!?!?

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
Yeah, l'm going to do a compression test later to check piston rings etc and if that comes through ok then l guess l'd best start pricing up a new turbo... :cry:

Anyone changed a turbo them selves before? ls it do-able yourself or would l be better off getting a garage to do it for me?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Yeah, l'm going to do a compression test later to check piston rings etc and if that comes through ok then l guess l'd best start pricing up a new turbo... :cry:

Anyone changed a turbo them selves before? ls it do-able yourself or would l be better off getting a garage to do it for me?

Just stick a 2nd hand tubby if money is a issue. :rolleyes:

I done my ibiza cupra, it hard and time consuming, hardest part were getting exhaust bolts off, On a LCR may be different as the space in the engine bay varies:headhurt:
If new turbo gaskets come around 24quid for me.
Cost me around £90 for tubby,fitting inc gasket.

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
Hummmmmm......l'll have to check out my options and go from there.

Gavin - Do you recommend that garage then? l might pay someone to have a look over it to try and figure out exactly what it is before l start throwing cash at it!

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Easy way to check its the turbo is by taking an intercooler pipe off and checking if there is heavy oil deposits in the pipe. Mine is caked in oil due to the turbo only recelntly being replaed cleaned most hoses and pipes but one on the instercooler is perished. I was told its normal for them to get a small ammount of oil build up in the charge system but ive never know it on turbo cars.

bertrum

Sorry to hear bout this dude! There is a turbo place up at Blenhiem Ind. estate (bulwell), on the same site as TPS.

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
Sorry to hear bout this dude! There is a turbo place up at Blenhiem Ind. estate (bulwell), on the same site as TPS.

Cool, l might have to pay them a visit then.

l'm going to follow the advice of people on here when l get back after work and do the compression test, check the intercooler pipes for oil and take it from there l think.
Just need to keep my fingers crossed that l figure out what's wrong first time round instead of ending up throwing loads of money at trying to fix different issues and getting no where! Thats the reason l got rid of my Golf Rallye aka THE MONEY PIT!!!

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
Cheers Gavin..

Ok, update -
I've just collected the car from the MOT station and I questioned the guys about the 'blue smoke' and he said that after the engine had been running a while the smoke turned white and that they actually nearly didn't get it through the emissions check because of it!?!? That can't be good...right!? :(

He said he thought it was the head gasket that had gone and couldn't see it being anything to do with the turbo. Any thoughts guys???

filbro

Jun 23, 2008
Derbyshire
How is it running when you drive it??
Is there any noticeable whining noise, more than before you had the smoke??

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
I dbout the head gasket has gone, is it overheating atall? You cant have blue smoke where the turbo has gone, then a while later its turned white and the HG has gone doesnt add up.

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
How is it running when you drive it??
Is there any noticeable whining noise, more than before you had the smoke??

No, no noise at all! Well.....nothing new! :happy: The only difference (which has only really just clicked since the MOT station has said about the smoke and I've started panicking and paying more attention to things) is that I think I'm losing a bit of power and I seem to occasionally get a 'limp mode' type judder every so often.

I'm now starting to get REALLY confused because the more posts I read on here about blue/white smoke the more different views and opinions I seem to be getting!

- I've just read a load of posts that have said when their turbo's were shot, they got loads of white smoke pump out the back, to the point where its filled the road. I've not had that...
- I've read other posts that have said if I'm getting blue smoke then it must be my turbo related, but how can that be going on what I've just wrote above???
- I've then read other comments that have said from my symptoms it points towards the piston rings being shot which could turn in to bigger issues such as rods etc being damaged too?
- And then....the MOT guys said its my head gasket thats gone!?

:cry: HELP HELP HELP !!!!!! :cry:

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
I dbout the head gasket has gone, is it overheating atall? You cant have blue smoke where the turbo has gone, then a while later its turned white and the HG has gone doesnt add up.

No, it doesn't ever over heat. So based on that, you don't think its the head gasket gone then? What's your view on what it might be then?

Sorry to keep asking question after question but the thing is, I've experienced this sort of scenario before with my Golf Rallye and it just gets to the point where you're throwing money at it left right and center and you never solve the problem.....and I just don't have the time or money for that! :(

JONNY9182

:)Hi guys new to all this just bought myself a k1 about 4 weeks ago and lovin it.

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
Update

Ok, so l've just been checking my engine etc over and with the engine running there doesn't seem to be much smoke of any type coming out the exhaust...until you rev it! Once you increase the revs hard, you get a load of misty white smoke come out with a faint blue tinit to it and a little moisture builds up just inside the tail pipe. l also took the TIP off and there seems to be some oil build up inside, which l'm guessing isn't good!?

Also, there now seems to be a strange ticking noise coming from something under the bonnet but l duno a) Whether its even linked to the rest of the issues or b) even what the hell it is!

vbnm.jpg

Any ideas anyone???

Last edited:

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
No idea, but looks like there's some kind of sensor on it, so if you want to borrow my laptop to see if the ECU's logged anything then feel free. If not, then if I remember correctly, VAGCAT has diagrams which might help you find out what that part is?

Cheers Gavin! Now this may be a very silly question, but will VAGCOM pick up faults etc even if the EM light hasn't come on?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members