Please Help - Blue Smoke!?!?

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
My LCR went in to have it's MOT this morning and it failed on a couple of VERY stupid things which can be sorted in seconds but it also came back with one very concerning advisory.......small amounts of BLUE SMOKE appearing!!! :(

Now from my limited amount of knowledge l'm asuming that the blue smoke will be caused from worn rings or worse....a damaged cylinder head! Any ideas or thoughts guys?

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
Blue smoke is normall caused by oil and white smoke by water.

It could possibly be Rings or turbo seals?

How serious are these and should l stop driving it until its sorted?

Now l'm assuming both of these would have to be done by a garage? Any ideas how much l'd be looking at?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Have a look for the smoke yourself. Warm her up and let her idle for a few minutes, get a friend to rev the engine whilst you watch.

Search the forum for "blue smoke" youll find a few threads on this which should help

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
:( :( :(

BALLS!!! A couple of friends have said they think it will be a new turbo too (which l REALLY can't afford at the minute!) but l was thinking/hoping it might just be the seals of the turbo that need replacing :confused:

Does anyone know of any tests l can run to figure out what it might be? l'm guna run a compression test later to establish whether its the rings or not, but l'm lost as to what else l can do to figure it out!

Last edited:

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
There is a place in Derby that does Turbo Repairs, they may even have a 2nd hand one?. I think it's called The Turbo Centre. Not used them myself, but have seen them advertised before.

Ken

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
Is this not an excuse to get a bigger turbo :D

This is true, but l've just thrown out loads of cash on a holiday for me and the misses and l can barely afford to replace the wiper blades let alone put a bigger turbo on! :happy:

That said.......l might just take a cheeky look at the price options anyway...:whistle:

filbro

Jun 23, 2008
Derbyshire
£700 exchange 12 months ago

I think Backdraft are similar.

Std turbo was around £450, again based on exchange unit I think.

Hope you get sorted :)

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Do compression test done 1st to check piston/rings. Could be stem seals as well. Have you oil and water level checked as well.
Have ic pipin inspected for excess oil.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.