Locking wheel bolts - what's best?

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
I've just got some new alloys and have ordered a set of McGard locking bolts. Now on my old car I had a set of McGards plus anti-theft bolts all round that looked a bit like the pic below, but my new alloys were supplied with regular hex head bolts. Is there any benefit from replacing hex head bolts with anti-theft bolts? I've come across a few things online saying that they are pretty easy to remove anyway :confused:

What does everyone else have fitted on their aftermarket alloys?

And does anyone know where I could buy 16 anti-theft bolts? I've tried ebay and google but can't find anything.

wheelbolts.jpg

Last edited:

JamJay

California Bound
Is there really any point in buying these? I mean are your wheels made from precious metal? :D One normal locking wheel bolt per wheel will do the trick, McGuard or EVO make good ones with a large head that's hard to smash a socket over.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Theres not a set of lockers out there that can't be removed in minutes by someone wanting your wheels.

I wouldn;t even bother with lockers these days. Alloy wheel theft stopped about 1990 :lol:

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
Looks like I'll probably just go for one McGard per wheel then.

vroomtshh, fair enough it may not be a huge problem but I don't want to take the risk after forking out for a nice set of alloys. Plus it would probably void any insurance claim if they did get nicked and I didn't have any locking bolts.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Plus it would probably void any insurance claim if they did get nicked and I didn't have any locking bolts.

When you let your insurers know about your new alloys, ask them if locking wheel nuts are required. I wasn;t being funny about it. I was just pointing out that your as well getting any ones that are available, as they can all be removed very easily if someone is that desperate for your wheels