Locking wheel bolts - what's best?

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
I've just got some new alloys and have ordered a set of McGard locking bolts. Now on my old car I had a set of McGards plus anti-theft bolts all round that looked a bit like the pic below, but my new alloys were supplied with regular hex head bolts. Is there any benefit from replacing hex head bolts with anti-theft bolts? I've come across a few things online saying that they are pretty easy to remove anyway :confused:

What does everyone else have fitted on their aftermarket alloys?

And does anyone know where I could buy 16 anti-theft bolts? I've tried ebay and google but can't find anything.

wheelbolts.jpg

Last edited:

JamJay

California Bound
Is there really any point in buying these? I mean are your wheels made from precious metal? :D One normal locking wheel bolt per wheel will do the trick, McGuard or EVO make good ones with a large head that's hard to smash a socket over.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Theres not a set of lockers out there that can't be removed in minutes by someone wanting your wheels.

I wouldn;t even bother with lockers these days. Alloy wheel theft stopped about 1990 :lol:

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
Looks like I'll probably just go for one McGard per wheel then.

vroomtshh, fair enough it may not be a huge problem but I don't want to take the risk after forking out for a nice set of alloys. Plus it would probably void any insurance claim if they did get nicked and I didn't have any locking bolts.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Plus it would probably void any insurance claim if they did get nicked and I didn't have any locking bolts.

When you let your insurers know about your new alloys, ask them if locking wheel nuts are required. I wasn;t being funny about it. I was just pointing out that your as well getting any ones that are available, as they can all be removed very easily if someone is that desperate for your wheels

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.