finally I picked my leon up

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
What Jarre said would be a clear abuse. If Grandma only makes one journey every 6 weeks she clearly doesn't need a motability car.

Exactly! If he can use the car for his DAILY trips to work and back his mother cleary doesn't get out the house, and therefore doesn't need a car, does she?

If he's out on his 9-5 job car won't be there for 9 hours a day probably.

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
Right, so since my grandmother is disabled, i can have a car through motability, use it to take her to te hairdressers once every 6 weeks and use it for myself the rest of the time?! And my only cost is fuel? Thats seems fair!

yes, provided your Grandmother is receiving full DLA component & that the payments are paid direct to Motability and that they feel you are eligible
Motability is a charity run operation, NOT a gov't scheme so you choose how you spend the allowance.
don't forget you hand the car back after 3 yrs and any Advance Payment is lost so it's not all rosy

if anyone feels aggrieved by all this 'cars for nothing' nonsense you could always apply for free car tax via the Blue badge

just remember some people have suffered & this is one way of being mobile again regardless of what cars people choose.

our first Ibiza Cupra was an ex-Motability car, 2.0 8v, definitely not driven by anyone with a gammy left leg!

funny how no-one has congratulated the OP on choosing a SEAT over Vauxhall?
he'd be quick enough to get flamed if it was the other way round

Last edited:

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
"Back in 2009 I got rid of the Ibiza and my mum who is disabled let me have an Motability car through her (1.6 Astra Sport Hatch) The Astra is due to go back in July of this year and I have been looking at an replacement
To cut a story short Motability have changed all the rules young drivers who are under 25 (like me 24 in 2 weeks) can only have cars with no more than 115BHP

So the car I was looking at was the new Astra 1.7 CDTi elite but this has 125bhp

I went to Stoke Seat by Stoke Britannia Footie Ground on Saturday and I didnot know hiw much it the SE copa came with and I was amazed I could get an 1.6 TDI

So today after much pestering my mum, myself, mum and my daft old nan went to Seat sat in it and after a good test drive I decided to put an order in and be put on the waiting list and wait untill they can order the car in May

Its going to be murder untill July when I can get my hands on the little baby

"

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3767624#post3767624

Whoops Richie...

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
yes, provided your Grandmother is receiving full DLA component & that the payments are paid direct to Motability and that they feel you are eligible
Motability is a charity run operation, NOT a gov't scheme so you choose how you spend the allowance.
don't forget you hand the car back after 3 yrs and any Advance Payment is lost so it's not all rosy

if anyone feels aggrieved by all this 'cars for nothing' nonsense you could always apply for free car tax via the Blue badge

just remember some people have suffered & this is one way of being mobile again regardless of what cars people choose.

our first Ibiza Cupra was an ex-Motability car, 2.0 8v, definitely not driven by anyone with a gammy left leg!

Motabily as a Scheme is not in question, its people who abuse the scheme who are

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
"Back in 2009 I got rid of the Ibiza and my mum who is disabled let me have an Motability car through her (1.6 Astra Sport Hatch) The Astra is due to go back in July of this year and I have been looking at an replacement
To cut a story short Motability have changed all the rules young drivers who are under 25 (like me 24 in 2 weeks) can only have cars with no more than 115BHP

So the car I was looking at was the new Astra 1.7 CDTi elite but this has 125bhp

I went to Stoke Seat by Stoke Britannia Footie Ground on Saturday and I didnot know hiw much it the SE copa came with and I was amazed I could get an 1.6 TDI

So today after much pestering my mum, myself, mum and my daft old nan went to Seat sat in it and after a good test drive I decided to put an order in and be put on the waiting list and wait untill they can order the car in May

Its going to be murder untill July when I can get my hands on the little baby

"

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3767624#post3767624

Whoops Richie...

Another nail hammered in

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Sums it up in one. There is clear evidence that the car is obtained through the scheme for his use. He pesters his mum, he chose the car, he ordered it, he drives it. He thinks its his!

window60

Feb 19, 2008
Worcester

I'm sorry but I would consider this very rosy, paying the advance fee off £0-£1000 is no loss at all to be getting a brand new car every 3 years. Any normal person would loose multiple times that advance fee through depreciation.

Rich

TomH01

Dec 30, 2011
A couple of years ago I was talking to a dealer who had just received a motability car in, I think it was a Honda Civic, the car was absolutely mint was 3 years old and had 1000 miles on the clock and it was a diesel, he told me it was an old lady who had on Motability and she used it once a week to go to the post office a few hundred yards down the road, now she definately didn't need a motability car and certainly not a diesel, but she received the mobility component of DLA so was entitled to spend the money as she wished.

TomH01

Dec 30, 2011
I'm sorry but I would consider this very rosy, paying the advance fee off £0-£1000 is no loss at all to be getting a brand new car every 3 years. Any normal person would loose multiple times that advance fee through depreciation.

Rich

So you would begrudge a disabled person being able to afford a car for 3 years then and as you put it any NORMAL person would lose out.

Hockey Guy

Oct 16, 2006
Consett, Co. Durham
I've been reading this thread now for a couple of days, and whilst I'm not going to comment on the morality of what's been done yadda yadda, could people just GET A LIFE and move and discuss something else.

I mean, 8 pages worth of self-righteousness, criticism, moaning, berating and it's not showing any signs of stopping! It's disappointing to see that mods are letting this continue because it somehow fits in with their own personal view, whereas they should be impartial and at least call a stop on it if not just maintain some sort of order so things don't get out of hand.

The fact that there are people on here who have let slip that they break the speed limit on a regular basis, modify their car and not declare it to the insurance, and all this costs Joe Bloggs millions every year, yet it doesn't get anywhere near the attention that this has, even though it is all on an equal stance from a moral perspective.

I don't want to sound like a teacher controlling the class (cos that's the mods' job!), but how about people just let this one move along - there can't be any benefit to anyone letting this go on forever.

So I'm making a plea to the mods to at least lock this thread, unless they can give reasonable justification for letting it continue. It effectively amounts to a lynch mob, and that wouldn't be acceptable in any other walk of society.

There, my 2p worth.

window60

Feb 19, 2008
Worcester
So you would begrudge a disabled person being able to afford a car for 3 years then and as you put it any NORMAL person would lose out.

Not at all, I was clearly stating that losing £0-£1000 over 3 years is no financial loss at all compared to the deprecation of privately funded cars.

DerbyForget

Apr 1, 2012
Burton on Trent, Staffs
just read this entire thread :) LOL the funny thing is if the OP had just started it with 'heres some pics of my new car etc etc' nobody would have batted an eye lid... when i first joined i think i got one welcome message aha. he has brought it on his self by mentioning just how he has acquired the car and of course the majority of people on here do have to work really hard and pay thousands to afford a car like the one hes got. so obviously there are going to be some irate people :O maybe he should join a motorbility members forum?? might get a more welcome reception hahaha

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members