HiD's problem (not the usual)

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
I don't have ballasts from hids-direct but I have regular ones with decoders and I have tried the radio a few ago with HIDs on and off and there's no difference.

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
That's an interesting point. My ballasts aren't secured to the car, they just dangle, maybe not causing the interference that others are experiencing?

When I first got the ballasts I had them mounted but now they are just hanging under the hood and I have had no issues. I actually am going for 55W 4300K or 5000K (will try both) either tonight or tomorrow because I don't like the slight blue tinge I get from the 35W 6000K HIDs I have.

chrisf1903

Sep 16, 2012
Aberdeen
My ballasts are mounted on steelwork under the front wings using industrial strength sticky-backed velcro and the cabling is all cable tied to existing cabling/fixings which is where i think the issue may be arising. Will have a play at the weekend and see if i can cure it.

I may be speaking rubbish here but i believe the antenna is a powered one which means interference on the power cables (most likely earth/negative) could lead to a poor/distorted signal.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Adman77

Audre Est Facre
Feb 13, 2012
Hertfordshire
One side is mounted to the side of the headlight unit and the other side is on the side of the battery cover. Maybe it's too near the battery?

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Mine are just cabled tied mine tothe side of the engine bay and it is actually the problem why. Will have to see what response we get back off them!

ahadugen.jpg

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
I installed 55W ballasts today but they kept turning off and giving errors even with the decoders installed because they're not canbus. So I chose the best 35W ballasts available in the market and they actually have the same light output (just very, very slightly weaker in terms of distance) of the 55W ballasts I have tried, and 6000K bulbs with no blue tinge whatsoever. Oh and I should mention that the 35W ballasts I installed today are canbus therefore I threw the decoders I had into the trunk of my car. :D less wires = I am happy.

Last edited:

gh.fr

Leon FR CR TDI
Dec 20, 2007
Bradford
I had this problem with hids on my mk1. It is caused by interference in the 12v supply to the ballasts. I cured mine with a pair of ferrite cores which absorb the interference.

gh.fr

Leon FR CR TDI
Dec 20, 2007
Bradford
Search ebay for ferrite core, you want the type that hinge open. Disconnect the 12v ballast wires from your car, pass them through the ferrite core, wrap them once around it, then back through a second time, snap the core shut, and finally reconnect to the car. Repeat on the other ballast. Make sure the core you buy have a big enough internal diameter to feed the wires through twice. Think I used tdk ones, but it was 3 years ago...

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
What ballasts do you have?? There really bright!

Yeah, mate, I think so too, although I did not really feel its brightness when I was driving last night. I was going to a mall and I parked in its garage and decided to remove the new ballast and install the older one to compare and the new one is definitely much stronger, so I don't know why I feel like it's not bright perhaps I am being paranoid about it, or maybe it's because it turns out the bulbs I had before I purchased these ballasts and bulbs were 8000K so I was used to seeing a bright blue light output compared to a bit of a yellowish one.

Adman77

Audre Est Facre
Feb 13, 2012
Hertfordshire
I had this problem with hids on my mk1. It is caused by interference in the 12v supply to the ballasts. I cured mine with a pair of ferrite cores which absorb the interference.

Like these?

(I'm guessing it's 5mm from memory but shall check in the morning)

But that's what I need?

Adman77

Audre Est Facre
Feb 13, 2012
Hertfordshire
Good news to report!!

So I ordered the little thingys the gh.fr kindly suggested.

They took about 4 weeks to come so as you can imagine I'd completely forgot about them so was a nice little suprise when it landed on the door matt.

I put a radio station on that I knew was fuzzy. Clipped them on and didn't seem to work. Just thought oh well was only a few quid, worth a try. However...

Driving along today (first time in about a week since I put the thingys on) with lights on and every station was crystal clear!!

One other thing I found, when moving the ballasts around the radio went clearer and fuzzier so it would appear the position of the ballasts do effect it

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
Just installed 55W ballasts last night. I believe radio signal got worse but it's alright since I never really use it anyway. There's a huge difference between 35W and 55W ballasts as far as I can tell, though, and there's no real glare that bothers people so I am happy. When driving at night and switching the HIDs on, it's like driving in day light!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members