RVC reversing camera installed

kurylo

May 18, 2015
How to unclip the quadlock plug from the media unit? There's some black lock on the bottom of the quadlock that frees some big lever that seems to be the part of a quadlock, but I was not able to progress further... And the photos from this topic show that the whole lock is detached from the media unit. I'm just curious what have I missed there. There is not enough space to move around as cables are too short, but I was able to make some sort of a photo...
23tqrd5.jpg

kurylo

May 18, 2015
Also I want to ask you a question anout coding... For some reason the VCDS was not able to enter the block 76, why that could happen? I was trying to replicate the post #32 here. The second step was OK though.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
How to unclip the quadlock plug from the media unit? There's some black lock on the bottom of the quadlock that frees some big lever that seems to be the part of a quadlock, but I was not able to progress further...

The lever is they key to undoing it, in your photo lever it from bottom right up and towards the camera that took the photo, so its against the cables. The pulls out. Install is reverse.

EDIT: You probably could have looked at the video in my post number #68 on previous page, shows exactly how it unplugs :)

Last edited:

kurylo

May 18, 2015
I've read your comment and watched the video. I think that will help me a lot! I have no idea how I did manage to skip such a valuable video on this thread... Anyways, seems like I just was too gentle with the lever, since I did not want to break anything. So, basically, I just should open it as a, umm... soda can. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
Also I want to ask you a question anout coding... For some reason the VCDS was not able to enter the block 76, why that could happen? I was trying to replicate the post #32 here. The second step was OK though.

Look at post 43 - it has screenshots. While not the best, you can work out each section by the heading. Think one is 5F and the other is 10 off the top of my head.

kurylo

May 18, 2015
Weird enough, but I was not able to access block 10. Found a printed screenshot of mine of a guy who did it on ST, and he was messing up with block 76 AFAIR. Mine is ST too, but nor 76 neither 10 are answering.
BUT! I was able to make changes in clock 5F (byte 19 bit 4). After saving the settings and switching to the reverse gear, it showed the black screen with color settings in the corner and a safety message on the bottom. Tomorrow I will try to fit the camera and see what will happen. Maybe changing 5F will be enough.

kurylo

May 18, 2015
Nice one. Moving grid/guide lines?
Nope. From what I've researched, seems like the head unit itself should support it, and of course it should know how to draw the lines taking into account the camera's distortions that take place, so it should know some parameters of the camera that is attached. But nevertheless I'm not disappointed :)

Last edited:

kurylo

May 18, 2015
Update: seems like a camera control module is needed, something like this: 5N0 907 441A
Actually there's a lot of buzz around it, here's one of the links:
http://furmanka.blogspot.com/2010/07/mk5-kamera-cofania-rear-view-camera.html
That module seems to be responsible for moving guide lines. It even has two modes of operation!
I have no access to car parts therefore can not experiment on this, so to progress further it should be somehow sorted out by someone who has more possibilities than me.

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
To me it seems like the camera is set up at an angle that is too low

The original poster seems to be absent from the forum now. The camera won't show higher than where it is mounted. They are obviously better on a Golf for example where the camera is in the boot badge/handle but seat don't offer this.
I might try to angle my camera but it will only be by a bit.
The camera is a compromise but with looking first and parking sensors it should be ok.

kurylo

May 18, 2015
The camera is a compromise but with looking first and parking sensors it should be ok.
Regarting the boot handle camera, seems like a few people have done it by themselves, please have a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ3ESP8tpg0 but it seems to be a lot of pain, since these are mods done totally by hands of the car owners, not something we can buy.

I'm thinking of finding a camera that will have less tilt from a factory. Seems like that Ampire camera the original poster has used is tilted at 45°, and I'm thinking about possibly finding another one with a lower degree of tilt (with FOV more parallel to the ground), and possibly with a wider vertical angle (so that it would cover more space on the top).

The problem is that I don't know if the setup other people have (like yours) is OK. Maybe it is even not worth making any issue out of it...

Can I ask you to create a video that will show how does parking next to another car's bumber looks like with your setup? What camera did you use?

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I used the camera on post #17. Modifying a handle can be done if you know what your doing obviously.
You might be able to find another camera. Mine isn't fitted yet as i said. I can do a video when i do fit it but it won't show any higher than the point it is fixed to.

kurylo

May 18, 2015
You might be able to find another camera.
The camera I have tested says it is PAL/NTSC. But this is a 'straight' camera that cuts into the vertical bumper parts. I don't want such approach since if something happens with that camera, there will be a huge hole in the bumber at the most visible place.
The cameras I'm currently looking at are 'angled', such as Ampire, that are inserted into horizontal parts of the bumber. But the variants I'm currenly looking at have separate PAL and NTSC variants. I'm not sure what variant should I go with.
Can you tell if the car handles both formats?
If you don't know that, then which format does your camera use?
Thanks!

Last edited:

kurylo

May 18, 2015
What do you think about such way of tilting the camera upwards?
35a964g.jpg

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members