"VW scandal": 1.4 ACT PETROL ENGINE

Doc-Holliday

Aug 10, 2015
There have many posts about the Diesel engine, even though the mark 3 isn't effected.
However the German transport minister stated that irregularities were found in the petrol engines. This is the 1.4 COD/ACT engine. Wonder if people realise this?
Am due to finally receive delivery of my fr and instead of being happy am annoyed and apprehensive!
What's other people's thoughts?

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Likewise.

I think people are aware that there's an issue with the 1.4 petrol engine but there's no information beyond that at the moment. [See press release below].
It appears to be that the CO2 figures and consumption have been fiddled.

"Wolfsburg, November 5, 2015
...In the press release entitled "Internal investigations at Volkswagen identify irregularities in CO2 levels" issued on November 3, 2015, the CO2 values and therefore the fuel consumption data published by Volkswagen for some models are incorrectly stated. We are currently reviewing which models are specifically affected.
Please take into consideration that the CO2 emissions and therefore the fuel consumption data published ... are therefore subject to reservation...

Volkswagen Group Communications
"

The issue for those about to take delivery is resale values/residuals IMO, particularly for private buyers. Residuals are taking a dip and until there's some clarity on the issue then the dealer won't be getting my signature on the paperwork, they are going to have to sweeten the deal somehow (discount/servicing/warranty extension etc) or I'll walk away from my deposit.

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
Well you can reject the car from your garage and would be due full compensation under the sale of goods act or take delivery as the car itself is great. The only negative I can see at the moment is resale values plummeting

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
am annoyed and apprehensive!

Why?

its the car you wanted it has the spec you wanted power and economy etc!

just because they have cheated the emissions doesn't mean its a bad motor!!

IF it affects the value then you will be able to claim compensation

but in the mean time accept your car drive it be happy and dont worry!

if a recall comes out you dont HAVE to go in and get it done its not a safety recall

Last edited:

KenTT

Lets face it, all manufacturers specify CO2 figures that bear no resemblance to real life use. I purchased the 1.4 ACT Leon FR nearly a year ago now and couldn't be happier with the fuel economy (Avg: 46.4mpg).

When you compare other petrol cars with similar engine outputs I don't think you can beat this 1.4 unit.

Add to this the build quality of VAG group cars and the anti-corrosion levels, I still would not change my buying habbits any time soon (although I'm sorely tempted by an AMG A45 next :))

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Well you can reject the car from your garage and would be due full compensation under the sale of goods act or take delivery as the car itself is great. The only negative I can see at the moment is resale values plummeting
WRT sales made/agreed since VW's press statement (see above) then you'd have great difficulty in getting any compensation IMO based on the vehicle not being "as described", simply because they are stating that any figures are subject to "reservation" (I'm assuming they mean revision), that in itself is a dubious practice and may even be unlawful. Not taking delivery and demanding a full refund of your deposit should be more clear cut.

Fully agree with you regarding resale values. That's where the concern lies.
A local dealer last week didn't have any definitive information :whistle:, in 3 days they'd not had one customer in the sales area. Business has not just declined, its vanished. That will feed through to resale values, a quick glance at Autotrader will show you most nearly new Leon models are down £500-1000 already. Less of a concern for PCP buyers with GMFV's already agreed in the contract presumably?

Private buyers: If you've not taken delivery/paid then it's time to renegotiate.

[As an aside The Sale of Goods Act 1979 has been replaced by the Consumers Rights Act 2015, there are some important differences. The earlier legislation applies to contracts made before 1st Oct, the latter for those on or after that date. There's a simple guide to the new legislation here. ]

...IF it affects the value then you will be able to claim compensation...l
Genuine question, from whom? I can't see that being probable or straightforward.

FamilyGuy

Apr 1, 2015
As my car is leased I couldn't give a fig about residuals. However, while all cars have "optimistic" Mpg figures, I don't think they can get off scot-free for deliberately mis-stating the fuel consumption numbers.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Doc-Holliday

Aug 10, 2015
Why?

its the car you wanted it has the spec you wanted power and economy etc!

just because they have cheated the emissions doesn't mean its a bad motor!!

IF it affects the value then you will be able to claim compensation

but in the mean time accept your car drive it be happy and dont worry!

if a recall comes out you dont HAVE to go in and get it done its not a safety recall

The issue is stu that it won't have economy as stated, also if remapped then power is also as not stated.
CO2 emissions therefore may be inaccurate and so will affect running costs potentially.

Your comment surrounding compensation is making it sound as if will be immediate and full. While actually VW have not openly stated that compensation will be made available.

I think the topic is more complex than you have laid out, although I appreciate that is just my opinion.

Doc-Holliday

Aug 10, 2015
I saw this, VAG are offering $1000 discount sweetener to US owners.
As pointed out, this is NOT happening in the UK!
Once again I feel that any compensation will not be forthcoming in the UK.

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
The issue is stu that it won't have economy as stated, also if remapped then power is also as not stated.
CO2 emissions therefore may be inaccurate and so will affect running costs potentially.

Your comment surrounding compensation is making it sound as if will be immediate and full. While actually VW have not openly stated that compensation will be made available.

I think the topic is more complex than you have laid out, although I appreciate that is just my opinion.

how do you know all this? who said you will be losing power?

no car gets the stated MPG

the running costs will not be affected by the CO2 emissions the government/DVSA has already stated no VED brackets will change so if your car is £20 a year in VED it will stay £20 a year

I think the topic is made more complex by the media when in reality its not as bad as the media is making out!

this sort of thing has been going on for years right under peoples noses!

I used to have a 1997 TL1000s (motorbike) some models had what they call a PAIR system fitted what it did was take fresh air out of the air box and put it directly in to the exhaust to weaken the emissions to pass Swiss and Californian standards! the bike I currently have has a similar system

its all been blown out of proportion if you ask me! VAG group will not be the only company doing these tricks and more will come out

personally I think the fix will just remove the cheat software but leave everything else alone so you will still have the same power and economy

as for the compensation yes it won't be an easy task but it won't exactly be hard either but if your thinking of sticking with the VAG group for many years then you will probably find you could use it to your advantage to get a good deal on your next car

I think there is too much speculation going on at the minute no one knows for certain what is going to happen a lot of it is fuelled by the media as they love to paint everyone in a bad light as thats what sells!

I aren't worried about it! so much so that I traded my Ibiza 1.2tsi in for a Leon 1.6tdi this was before anyone knew what models would be affected! I knew the 2.0 and the 1.6 where affected but didnt know if it would be my new one

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I think the point Stu is trying to make, which he has so eloquently thus far, is that many people are being cry babies/ compensation wanters/ unrealistic over the whole fiasco.

I agree with him. Enjoy your car - nothing more, nothing less.

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
Mine does and actually I can better it if I take it steady.

picture.php

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
I think the point Stu is trying to make, which he has so eloquently thus far, is that many people are being cry babies/ compensation wanters/ unrealistic over the whole fiasco.

I agree with him. Enjoy your car - nothing more, nothing less.

Something like that!

All these people bleating on about loss of power mpg and compensation have scared a lot of people in the thinking the cars are all screwed and that vw has screwed them over

When in actual fact the only people been screwed over is the government's we have actually gained from it with the low tax brackets!

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
...about loss of power mpg and compensation have scared a lot of people in the thinking the cars are all screwed and that vw has screwed them over

When in actual fact the only people been screwed over is the government's we have actually gained from it with the low tax brackets!

I agree largely. Regarding petrol cars it looks like they'll just revise the stated MPG (which we all know is irrelevant) and the CO2 figures.
- VED won't change, the Govt have already made that clear. BIK rates may change, but it's unlikely that will be done retrospectively.
-If you've already got the vehicle it is largely academic, if anything you'd be best served by telling everyone it's nothing to worry about.
- PCP/company deals then it doesn't really matter, most hand the car back at the end of term and the GMFV is already agreed.

-The original question related to an imminent delivery. For a private buyer then it bears thinking about owing to the unexpected and avoidable reduction in residuals. Options are:
1. Don't complete on the agreement. You'll have good reason to expect your full deposit and associated costs back.

2. Renegotiate (price/add-ons etc).

3. Complete as agreed and accept the reduced residual.

Doubtless there'll be a class action against VW group, recent legislative changes make this easier as well, so you may get some form of compensation. That's not really my style, if the deal is not yet completed then now's the time to renegotiate, not wait for a payout from the "ambulance chasers".

Doc-Holliday

Aug 10, 2015
I don't think assuming these threads to be about "ambulance chasers" is helpful. Reality is that this has had an influence on sales ("Sales of VW branded cars fell 9.8%, Skoda dropped 3% and Seat sales sank 32.2%. However, sales of Audi, Porsche and Bentley cars all rose."- reported from BBC)
Seat sales have had a disproportionate drop, likely as it's on the budget end of the VAG spectrum.
So whilst there are people that are not bothered by the finances of what is a significant purchase, there are others who have balance a family car with costs and consider residuals.

Ultimately I will likely be stepping away from the new car, which is a shame cos it's a great car.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.