"VW scandal": 1.4 ACT PETROL ENGINE

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
Surely Seat did not think I would believe a shade under 50 mpg average for my 1.8 Leon SC FR.
That is at least 15 mpg overstated with normal road driving.
But the question is,did it achieve these figures under the legitimate test without cheating?
I await the answer with interest.
Tony

MrP

Formentor VZ Edition
May 15, 2015
Guys,

Looks like I'm about to purchase a Leon FR 1.4ACT - They want me to sign the letter on the previous page. Should I?

bjh_101

Sep 18, 2015
Guys,

Looks like I'm about to purchase a Leon FR 1.4ACT - They want me to sign the letter on the previous page. Should I?

New or used? I'm in a very similar situation waiting for delivery of my new Leon - due in the next week or so.

I've recently been emailed the letter from the dealer. My order was placed back in August before any of the emissions scandal even started.

I have mentioned to the dealer that a discount should be in order. But they aren't budging. Neither they nor SEAT Customer Services seemed to know what the outcome was going to be once revised CO2 figures come up.

I really want my new car - but I'm worried about it hurting resale values in the long term (I've gone for the HP option as it was through drive the deal) so future values is a consideration for me.

Any advice would be appreciated too.

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
me personally as long as power figures etc didnt reduce due to them making changes on the cars (if they need to make changes) i wouldnt be too bothered about the higher emissions or tax brackets or whatever higher they will be.ive had mine on order for a month now and im just really looking forward to getting mine.yes i think this scandall will hurt the vw group initially but i think in the future all this will be forgotten.as ive said before they are still 1 of the top manufacturers in the world.to be honest ive not really read too much too into it.yes ok vw shouldnt of done what they done but i think people are making it sound a lot more worser.

MrP

Formentor VZ Edition
May 15, 2015
New. Although It's a stock car so likely to be registered in the next week or so.

Well the dealer said the letter doesn't affect my statuary rights and I mentioned if it refrains me from any action down the line. I.e. payouts later on if the car is adversely affected down the line - he couldn't say. As far as I can see the letter is a way of the dealer saying there are known issues and we are letting you know - I.e. Not being miss-sold. I'm going to try and not sign it, I'm not comfortable with it.

However, it's any ones guess what will happen in the future. Worst case situation I can see is the the engine in question is found to be so poor it's discontinued which'll make the car highly un-desirabled. Best case is this all blows over and in a few years no one will care or even ant the earlier cars as the tax will be cheaper. It's a risk either way.

Short term, doesn't bother me. If the car is registered now Tax stays as it is, if the Tax changes before it's registered it'll go up £100, meh.

We all knew MPG and emissions was a fiddle anyway. It's been confirmed now and everyone loses their mind. Shame.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I have mentioned to the dealer that a discount should be in order. But they aren't budging.

You might like to point out to the dealer that it is fraud that's been committed by Volkswagen AG no matter what it's been dressed up as. Falsifying emissions is misconduct, akin to forgery. I have no doubt it will result in criminal proceedings.

Should you get a discount? Ethically yes, legally no. It's important to remember that companies like this have policy that's akin to their Bible. They won't bend a policy unless significant pressure is put upon them, which sadly cannot be achieved by one man and his HP. If you are so concerned, cancel your HP now if you are able to do so, or enjoy your car.

Last edited:

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
... They want me to sign the letter on the previous page. Should I?
IMO, definitely not.
The emissions figures stated when you made the decision to buy form part of the vehicle description. By signing the letter you are tacitly agreeing to a change in that description and hence may limit your right to redress.

...I really want my new car - but I'm worried about it hurting resale values in the long term (I've gone for the HP option as it was through drive the deal) so future values is a consideration for me...

As a private buyer that's the concern, the downside is potentially quite large, Glasses figures are down 2%, and that only covers October's figures before this debacle really got going, looking at local dealers there's some significant discounting going on, 5% seems typical and reducing the purchase price is one way of insulating yourself from that risk.

Run your figures through DTD again to see if the same spec vehicle is still being priced the same. If they are discounting further then you may be able to squeeze a few hundred quid from their dealer, not much but it might make you feel better?! Suppliers often try to hide any discounting as it quickly becomes regarded as normal, tweaking finance etc is a bit more discrete.

There's no requirement to sign the letter, it's at the dealers discretion.

Well the dealer said the letter doesn't affect my statutory rights...
Fine. If he's said it then he won't mind stating it on the letter if he insists you sign it?
If he refuses to do that then you've got your answer.

Last edited:

bjh_101

Sep 18, 2015
Thanks everyone for the advice everyone.

DTD has gone down by £50 - pretty insignificant.

I guess I will have to either not sign the letter, or only sign it on the proviso of some additional discount, one of which seems the most sensible option.

My alternative is to cancel the order - but the Leon was really the only car I wanted, so that choice would probably only be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Anyway, I'm just off to contact the dealer again to try and find out more. Thanks.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
DTD has gone down by £50 -.

I guess I will have to either not sign the letter, or only sign it on the proviso of some additional discount, one of which seems the most sensible option.

My alternative is to cancel the order - but the Leon was really the only car I wanted, so that choice would probably only be cutting off my nose to spite my face...

I ran a few examples and asking prices were down a bit (£60-180) as you say pretty insignificant.

I chose to cancel my order, I'll seek one out elsewhere ,might need to be a little bit flexible on spec but there are some good deals out there now, typically £1-1.5k down on prices a couple of months ago.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. :)

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Odd that the one car NOT listed on that document of affected cars that's floating around happens to be the one I took delivery of 4 weeks ago and also the one that has already had a (slightly) revised CO2 figure between my ordering and it arriving - although information is still contradictory.

Leon ST FR 1.4 EcoTSI DSG - only VAG car with the ACT engine not on the magic list, and there are 2 versions of the June 2015 brochure (I have both :)), one showing 109g (as does the website) and one showing 111g (which is what the V5/DVLA say).

Something tells me it might not stay at 111g either - already that 2g jump has put me £100 a year out of pocket for the next 3 years but at the moment, no answer from SEAT (rather the dealer) why they confirmed 109g at the time of ordering when someone knew something they didn't.

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Looked last night at German configirator, ACT as it stands is 110 co2 on 17 wheels and 113 on 18, the new figures on German site show 117 not sure if 18s will be a tad higher, i do have some sscreenshots and i havent worked out if the mpgs have changed on the German site.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
18's will add a few grams to the figure over the standard 17's, I'm sure.
Yep. The 2015 SEAT price list gives CO2 figures for 17s and 18s, the latter are +3g/km higher on all the 1.4 petrol variants.

Whatever figure they magic up I suspect it'll be no more than a 9.99% increase. Because VW Group indicated that they'll buy back all cars whose figures increase by 10%. :whistle:

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Of course...which sort of implies they know what the difference is before they committed to that.. Mine's already jumped 1.83% over the "as ordered" value so only another 8.18% to go.. If it becomes 120g, in my case (and also for the rest of the 1.4 ACT DSG Leons).

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
... If it becomes 120g, in my case (and also for the rest of the 1.4 ACT DSG Leons).
Looks like you should be ok.

"All SEATs:
-Up to and including Week 49 2015: Maintain existing published CO2 and fuel consumptions figures. [Includes previous model years].

-Production Week 50 2015 onwards: Some Ibiza and Leon MY16 derivatives will have slightly updated CO2 and fuel consumption data.

There is no longer any need to use the customer declaration letter".

Looking at my car the recommended tyre pressures are much higher than those mentionned by some other owners, 2.5/ 2.3 BAR ( Front/rear mod load figures for 17" wheels).

Perhaps that's one way they've kept the figures down?!:whistle:

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Argh thats good i suppose, mine was built 7 november so week 45, i collect it on Friday

Coincidently i spoke to the busines manager at my dealer, they have only lost 1 order from a customer who cancelled because of the diesel scandal and it wasnt a Leon but an Alhambra

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
So latest german brochure / Pricelist has new figures, figures are for 1.4 ecotsi manual old ones were 110 and 113 for 17 and 18 respectively new figures are 114 and 117 again 17 and 18 respectively

DSG equipt cars old were 109 and 112 the new figures are 115 and 118 so before the DSG cars were better but now they are worse.

Mpg is stated in l/100 km but for reference both Manual and DSG were 4.7 (17) and 4.8 (18) and now 4.9 (17) and 5.0 (18)

I have PDF copies of brochure / Pricelist from September and a newer one from November, whats the best way to attach to post?

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise