"VW scandal": 1.4 ACT PETROL ENGINE

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
That means a 2 band jump now for mine (ST ACT DSG) between order placement and current brochure although mine is still registered as 111g. I'm still waiting on word from SEAT UK on this. I'm already £100 a year out of pocket on my company car tax due to the first rise - good job the new figures won't be retro-applied otherwise that's another £100 jump..

Beginning to wish I'd gone for the Octavia now...

EDIT: SEAT UK website now showing 114g for the ST manual and 117g for the ST DSG

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Mpg is down to 57.6 combined, the same as the 1.2 right? Incidentally has anyone else noticed that quoted Mpg's (amongst all manufacturers) always fall into a predetermined number? I.e. 74.3 47.9 55.4 51.4 etc. I've never once seen a 63.9 or 51.8. It does seem like they just pick the number they want that's realistic from a certain set.

Also now the new Act has revised figures and a higher tax band I wonder if this will bode well for future resale values of the same car in the lower tax band?

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
The "odd" mpg figures will be because it's a conversion from the metric l/100km figure which only ever seem to be 2 significant figures (5.1, etc).

Mk3 Se

Dec 1, 2015
Our 1.4 TSi is up for replacement in April/May next year and already starting to look at our options.

Don't want the SE again because I do not particularly want to loose 15 PS but I definitely don't want to loose 35 torques.

But I don't really want the FR because of the sports seats and lowered sports suspension.

As I see the figures the FR has risen from the £20 a year VED to £30 a years VED. If that is correct would it really stop anyone buying the car. Its about 450 miles of petrol. If that is a deal breaker you should stop driving.

Been doing some internet pricing research over the weekend. The best price I found for the 1.4 TSi FR was £15683, a brilliant price, little more than I paid for the 1.4 SE and it has loads more kit, shame about the seats and suspension. But we have looked at the Nissan Pulsar 1.6 DIG-T which has more space, equal kit and 190 PS, (plus the seats are higher so its better for getting in/out) best price we found was £14150. That's a saving of £1500 and 0% and 2 years free servicing seems to be available on that price. That would more than make up for the £130 a year VED.

Need to drive both now.

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Need to drive both now.

Good luck with your search.

The Pulsar 190 is a decent car for the monies and as you indicate the spec is good. It lacks a little excitement and can be a bit boring compared to the Leon.

Least both choices are built in Spain so keeps them happy.

100andthirty

Mar 19, 2004
Our 1.4 TSi is up for replacement in April/May next year and already starting to look at our options.

Don't want the SE again because I do not particularly want to loose 15 PS but I definitely don't want to loose 35 torques.

Need to drive both now.

I wondered why you don't get another 1.4tsi SE which seems to be available in 5 door and ST, but not SC

srytter

Oct 22, 2015
Denmark
Just got off the phone with my dealer.

My Leon 1,4 TSI ST FR DSG will be delivered in about a weeks time, and he told me, that the fuel consumption has been lovered from 20,8 km per liter to 20,0 km per liter. This has happened after I signed the contract back in october. In Denmark the tax will increase when the cars fuel consumption goes below 20,0, so it looks like I am safe in that area. But my fuel consumption will be worse. The dealer said that this is an issue between me and the import Company, and he mentioned that it is up to me if I want to do anything about it, and he didn't mention if I have a solid case or not.

Any advice how to react to this?

Mk3 Se

Dec 1, 2015
I wondered why you don't get another 1.4tsi SE which seems to be available in 5 door and ST, but not SC

Thought I had covered that earlier.

My car is a 140 PS and the current SE is a 125 PS. Doubt if I would notice the lack of 15 PS at max revs very often but I would without doubt notice the lack of 35 torques in the part of the rev band where we drive virtually all the time i.e. 1500 - 4000.

Came to the Leon after 20 years of diesels and love the torque and flexibility. There is no way I am taking a step back.

The 140 PS Leon engine is without doubt the best I have in the 42 years I have been on the road and I want something at least as good next time.

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
I got the V5 for my new car in the post yesterday(which was quick since I picked the car up on Monday) and the co2 is still 110 on mine

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
That means a 2 band jump now for mine (ST ACT DSG) between order placement and current brochure although mine is still registered as 111g. I'm still waiting on word from SEAT UK on this. I'm already £100 a year out of pocket on my company car tax due to the first rise - good job the new figures won't be retro-applied otherwise that's another £100 jump..

Beginning to wish I'd gone for the Octavia now...

EDIT: SEAT UK website now showing 114g for the ST manual and 117g for the ST DSG

Bit of an update - I've had an offer of vouchers as a "goodwill" gesture which nearly covers the difference caused by their failure to keep the dealers correctly informed of the change from 109 to 111g. I'll wait until they are in my hands though...

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Doesn't quite match the additional tax I'll be paying, but it's about 80% of it. It seems they are offering a standard figure to those affected (which will probably cover 3 years' worth of VED increase). Better than a simple "sorry" although not the whole amount.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Doesn't quite match the additional tax I'll be paying, but it's about 80% of it. It seems they are offering a standard figure to those affected (which will probably cover 3 years' worth of VED increase). Better than a simple "sorry" although not the whole amount.

£100? Why that's a whole £1.92 a week, at current prices you could get nearly 2 litres of fuel for that ......

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
For 3 years...

I'm still a bit annoyed as if it was 111g at the time I ordered it, I would have had another Octavia instead - TBH, I only went with the Leon because it was a cheaper tax bill due to the lower emissions. That's now out of the window.