Cooling fan issues

reidy4040

Jan 12, 2015
Corby
Hi everyone,

I have the fan problem where the low speed fan isn't coming on. When the aircon is switched on the high speed fan just kicks in and out so I know I have a problem.

Which fan do I need to replace, or is it both? I take it the fans come out of the shroud somehow? The radiator needs replacing as I have a leak so doing this at the same time.

Also some part numbers for the fans and the rad would be very helpful if anyone has any.

Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reidy4040

Jan 12, 2015
Corby
Yeah I have read this about fitting my own resistors, but just thought as I am stripping the front to change the rad I might aswell just replace the fan or fans if I need to replace both.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
If it's just the classic 'slow speed fan problem' then there is no need to replace either of the fans, just fit the resistors. Replacing the whole fan unit is around £500!

If you want the part numbers then they are all listed here for you. http://www.oemepc.com/seat

Last edited:

reidy4040

Jan 12, 2015
Corby
Cheers mate, I just thought that as I was having the whole lot out to replace the rad then I might aswell just change them.
But now seeing the cost I might not bother.

Thanks for your help tho

Cuprar72

Aug 29, 2017
East sussex
hi can someone help please, ive noticed when my aircon is on the fans dont run in slow speed but kick in every now and then in full speed, fans work when temp gauges reaches between 90 and 120, what part do i need to replace to fix this and where is it please? also if i dont use air con do i need to fix this?

andymc

Mar 20, 2017
Is this all I need for both fans? I’m still confused having read loads about this problem?
I used two of these units (or similar) and both times it only temporarily fixed it until the unit got water ingress into them and we are talking weeks, I eventually went to Farnell and got two large high power resistors and put them in the circuit instead and 3 years later no issues. The power resistors were like £13 each from memory. I am not usually a fan of big fat capacitors or resistors but in this case it’s the most effective solution imho.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74

andymc

Mar 20, 2017
I used two of these units (or similar) and both times it only temporarily fixed it until the unit got water ingress into them and we are talking weeks, I eventually went to Farnell and got two large high power resistors and put them in the circuit instead and 3 years later no issues. The power resistors were like £13 each from memory. I am not usually a fan of big fat capacitors or resistors but in this case it’s the most effective solution imho.

Thought I would add after looking up what I have, they are 'hsc200 1r0' so thats 1 Ohm resistors rated at 200W and RS Components want £30 per resistor currently.

However using the rs components resistor selector I found 'hs200 1 Ohm' at £19.09 each.
200Watt is overkill for each but for me the biggest downfall in the original resistors was the heatsink setup inside the motor casing and the larger resistor footprint gives some bulk to dissipate heat especially as I've mounted on plastic rather than the chassis or front panel and a decent balance on price as my pennies are better spent on faster parts instead of clever unreliable ways of fixing an old problem.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
On my cupra r I replaced both the fans with ones from Eurocarparts back in 2013. Still running fine now. Part number from euro were "Fan & Motor Various Vag/ Seat Cross Dock" part nums: 213440640 currently £48 and 213440630 currently £58. Hope this helps :)

Reactions: andymc
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.