Keep SEAT Leon Cupra 290 or upgrade to Audi S3 or even Golf R

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I’d love a Golf R but I can’t get past how common they are and I don’t want to follow the sheep. I like to be the odd one out, hence ordering the Cupra :)

Better not go read the cheap lease thread on Pistonheads then. Plenty of people on there just ordering them because they are cheap.

Reactions: Bucksssss

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
Better not go read the cheap lease thread on Pistonheads then. Plenty of people on there just ordering them because they are cheap.

That’s where I found out about the deals lol

I’ve yet to see a Cupra (see plenty of FRs) but I do see a lot of Golf Rs daily.

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015
I’d love a Golf R but I can’t get past how common they are and I don’t want to follow the sheep. I like to be the odd one out, hence ordering the Cupra :)

I think you might miss the Golf R's traction in the winter months. If my Cupra was AWD i certainly wouldnt even consider getting rid. In the summer months it is incredibly fun to drive which is what i am looking forward to now the weather is improving. No doubt come novemeber/december i will be fed up with that blasted traction control light and wheel hop despite fitting a dog bone mount!

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
I think you might miss the Golf R's traction in the winter months. If my Cupra was AWD i certainly wouldnt even consider getting rid. In the summer months it is incredibly fun to drive which is what i am looking forward to now the weather is improving. No doubt come novemeber/december i will be fed up with that blasted traction control light and wheel hop despite fitting a dog bone mount!

Yep, damn shame the hatchback cupra doesn’t have Haldex

Reckon the next cupra may have it?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello

Common as hell here, when I had mine, I went the gym last night, the car park takes about 12 cars and 3 of them were Cupra excluding mine. None of them were SEAT UK cars either as all had lease companies at bottom of number plates haha.

I seen 3/4 on the road daily, mixture of Estate and 5/3 door.

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
In a similar situation myself, got 6 months left on the lease of my 300 so been looking about, however there is literally nothing out there that can compete with the value of a Cupra, £253 a month is madness for this much car!

Wouldn't mind the Golf R next, however, it doesn't look as good, and there is just no way I can justify the extra £100+ a month over the Leon! So, either gonna extend my current lease or jump to a new Cupra ST for the AWD, just a shame all the new ones sound dreadful!

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
In a similar situation myself, got 6 months left on the lease of my 300 so been looking about, however there is literally nothing out there that can compete with the value of a Cupra, £253 a month is madness for this much car!

Wouldn't mind the Golf R next, however, it doesn't look as good, and there is just no way I can justify the extra £100+ a month over the Leon! So, either gonna extend my current lease or jump to a new Cupra ST for the AWD, just a shame all the new ones sound dreadful!
Do some shopping about, plenty of deals if you time it right, I took delivery of a audi s4 saloon in October for £280 a month with about £40 a month in options included

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Thanks for the replies. I could sell my Cupra privately and use the money from the sale ~£4-5k and put it into my next car. So what would you guys go for Audi S3 or Golf R?. I know the standard answer would be go drive them but i thought the difference was small therefore any advice would be helpful!

Before my Cupra R -18 I had a Golf 7 R for 4,5 years. Great car! In Sweden they are rather rare. Very high resale value.

I have driven two S3:s during the time I had my Golf R. S3 feels heavier, therefor I would choose R before S3. I fancy the design of Golf, it’s classic! Nobody can say the are right or wrong regarding design :), it’s up to you.

/Peter

Deleted member 103408

One other thing to consider, is the S3 more likely to get stolen or broken into than the others you are looking at.

I only raise that as I suspect they are more interesting to that sort of person.

Reactions: Seastormer

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015
3k deposit, 8k a year, with daytona paint, virtual cockpit and extended light pack

That is a very good deal. An audi S3 with minimal options is probably close to double the monthly payments than what you are paying with a similar deposit

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Common as hell here, when I had mine, I went the gym last night, the car park takes about 12 cars and 3 of them were Cupra excluding mine. None of them were SEAT UK cars either as all had lease companies at bottom of number plates haha.

I seen 3/4 on the road daily, mixture of Estate and 5/3 door.

I went to the supermarket last night and the car park didn't have any Cupras in it . True story.

Reactions: Bucksssss
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.