Breaching into the MK3 world...

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Morning All,

Now I think I know the answer to this but i'll ask anyway lol

My brother is about to buy a Seat Leon 1.4 TSi 125 FR Titanium Tech 3dr in midnight black with 13k on the clock with an 18 plate (05/2018).

As it's such a new car is there anything that needs checking when purchasing this car apart from the usual walk round?

I only really know the MK2 issues which there are many when buying a 2nd hand one lol

I assume all issues are still under warranty with SEAT but just wanted to be safe as i'll only get blamed if something goes wrong lol

Cheers

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Morning All,

Now I think I know the answer to this but i'll ask anyway lol

My brother is about to buy a Seat Leon 1.4 TSi 125 FR Titanium Tech 3dr in midnight black with 13k on the clock with an 18 plate (05/2018).

As it's such a new car is there anything that needs checking when purchasing this car apart from the usual walk round?

I only really know the MK2 issues which there are many when buying a 2nd hand one lol

I assume all issues are still under warranty with SEAT but just wanted to be safe as i'll only get blamed if something goes wrong lol

Cheers

The only thing I’d say is make sure the SatNav card is present and up to date and also make sure Full Link is enabled.

Lots of questions about both on here and not sure if Full Link is enabled as part of Tech Pack but worth checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
The only thing I’d say is make sure the SatNav card is present and up to date and also make sure Full Link is enabled.

Lots of questions about both on here and not sure if Full Link is enabled as part of Tech Pack but worth checking.

From the picture they have I assume Full Link is on... haha you what happens when you assume
A508696-004.jpg

Cracked rear lights
Cracked high level brake light
Is this a visible crack or just seeing water in the unit itself?

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Is this a visible crack or just seeing water in the unit itself?

Jumping in on this one... but a very common issue with the mk3 has been water appearing in the rear light clusters (especially the outside rear lights). While there is sometimes a visible crack, I had to have 2 rear lights replaced under warranty on my first Leon because they had water in them but I couldn't see any damage. Best to check very carefully that there's no condensation in them. I now have a facelift mk3 and no visible condensation in them yet... not sure if they've improved this as part of the facelift or it's just too early to say.

Not an issue I've ever had, but I know the auto-levelling function of the LED headlights has been floated around as fairly common before. That's where the mechanism that moves them up and down when you turn the ignition on fails so one or both of the lights end up pointing straight at the ground!

In general, rattles are a very common complaint. When doing a test drive, try to get the salesman to shut up long enough over some rough, low-speed road surfaces to make sure there's nothing too obnoxious.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Jumping in on this one... but a very common issue with the mk3 has been water appearing in the rear light clusters (especially the outside rear lights). While there is sometimes a visible crack, I had to have 2 rear lights replaced under warranty on my first Leon because they had water in them but I couldn't see any damage. Best to check very carefully that there's no condensation in them. I now have a facelift mk3 and no visible condensation in them yet... not sure if they've improved this as part of the facelift or it's just too early to say.

Not an issue I've ever had, but I know the auto-levelling function of the LED headlights has been floated around as fairly common before. That's where the mechanism that moves them up and down when you turn the ignition on fails so one or both of the lights end up pointing straight at the ground!

In general, rattles are a very common complaint. When doing a test drive, try to get the salesman to shut up long enough over some rough, low-speed road surfaces to make sure there's nothing too obnoxious.
Thanks for the info, something worth looking at!

Would the auto leveling throw an error on the car MFD?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Sadly the icon isn't enough, going into it, it may still say it needs to be enabled.
After a quick search if Full link isn't enabled it's £199 for the activation CD/key? Is it that the person who bought didn't select it as an extra?

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
After a quick search if Full link isn't enabled it's £199 for the activation CD/key? Is it that the person who bought didn't select it as an extra?

It may be activated as standard on the car but depends on spec. If not I’d get it activated as part of the deal. Costs the dealer nowt really and well worth it for your brother.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
It may be activated as standard on the car but depends on spec. If not I’d get it activated as part of the deal. Costs the dealer nowt really and well worth it for your brother.

Good shout, Ta muchly

Reactions: Maypack
Apr 29, 2019
Hi All. Just joined. I've just gone from a 2015 184 ST FR with tech pack to a brand new 2019 190 FR ST.

On my old car I kept having issue with the rear load cover clips falling off. So the liner would not stay clipped out.

Other than that was a very good car that got 80k put on it in 4 years.

With the new one I'm just getting used to DSG. And the lack of mile per tank. Lol

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
OK so I saw the car yesterday and it's a great looking motor with a few issues which I wouldn't expect from an 18 plate lol

The rear driver side light cluster was not fitted correctly...
IMG-20190502-WA0001.jpg

So when the boot is closed the 2 rear clusters almost touch but the other side is fine... I assume it just needs popping back in...

Then a paint issue not sure if this is a thing but it's not normal lol @Sharpy @Legojon you think this will buff out?
IMG-20190502-WA0005__01.jpg

IMG-20190502-WA0007.jpg

The guy said their valet people will have a go to get rid which made me cringe when they mentioned machine polishing lol they also offered diamondbrite but I said if they seal these issues in I wouldn't be able to solve them after they **** it up as my trust had now gone lol

Next was the fact that the car has done 13k and had Bridgestone potenza tyres around from factory I guess, 3 of them needed changing and they put some brand I've never heard of which I googled and its £40 a tyre on an 18 inch wheel... Now I'm not being funny but that's rubbish haha so it has 3 brand new rubbish tyres and 1 Bridgestone on 4mm which makes me think my brother will just be spinning round on his rear drivers side tyre haha

I didn't see any cracks in the lights and no condensation but we can deal with that in the years to come as its nearly new.

Full link didn't show any issues when I clicked into it so I think that's all good, went into settings on and and nothing about activation.

Sat nav card is out the car till its bought so it cannot be nicked lol

Anything else worth looking at when I go back on Wednesday?

They loved me haha I had the led torch out checking paintwork I was on the floor checking under and in the arches, I was there about 30 minutes just looking at paintwork haha

Attachments

• IMG-20190502-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20190502-WA0002.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 53

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
The first ones it’s hard to tell, is the top coat bubbling? Kinda looks like it from the photo.

The second one I think would be pretty much gone with a decent machine polish.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
The first ones it’s hard to tell, is the top coat bubbling? Kinda looks like it from the photo.

The second one I think would be pretty much gone with a decent machine polish.

I'm not sure as I've never seen it lol from memory it felt smooth but that may of been because the muppet from the dealer rubbed it hard with his thumb to see if it came off to which he got a very sturn look from me lol

If it's the top coat is that a seat warranty thing or could it be some bird crap left on it for ages to bake?

I hope they know what they're doing haha

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
I'm not sure as I've never seen it lol from memory it felt smooth but that may of been because the muppet from the dealer rubbed it hard with his thumb to see if it came off to which he got a very sturn look from me lol

If it's the top coat is that a seat warranty thing or could it be some bird crap left on it for ages to bake?

I hope they know what they're doing haha

On second glance it does look like baked on bird poo. I would think they should be recoverable.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Take some detailing spray with you next time, give it a good soaking and see what will wipe off and what's left over. They can't look at you any funnier. That rear lights a bit worrying... any sign of damage around that area inside the boot (if you lift the carpet it) or underneath?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
OK so I saw the car yesterday and it's a great looking motor with a few issues which I wouldn't expect from an 18 plate lol

The rear driver side light cluster was not fitted correctly...
View attachment 6695
So when the boot is closed the 2 rear clusters almost touch but the other side is fine... I assume it just needs popping back in...

Then a paint issue not sure if this is a thing but it's not normal lol @Sharpy @Legojon you think this will buff out?
View attachment 6693
View attachment 6696
The guy said their valet people will have a go to get rid which made me cringe when they mentioned machine polishing lol they also offered diamondbrite but I said if they seal these issues in I wouldn't be able to solve them after they **** it up as my trust had now gone lol

Next was the fact that the car has done 13k and had Bridgestone potenza tyres around from factory I guess, 3 of them needed changing and they put some brand I've never heard of which I googled and its £40 a tyre on an 18 inch wheel... Now I'm not being funny but that's rubbish haha so it has 3 brand new rubbish tyres and 1 Bridgestone on 4mm which makes me think my brother will just be spinning round on his rear drivers side tyre haha

I didn't see any cracks in the lights and no condensation but we can deal with that in the years to come as its nearly new.

Full link didn't show any issues when I clicked into it so I think that's all good, went into settings on and and nothing about activation.

Sat nav card is out the car till its bought so it cannot be nicked lol

Anything else worth looking at when I go back on Wednesday?

They loved me haha I had the led torch out checking paintwork I was on the floor checking under and in the arches, I was there about 30 minutes just looking at paintwork haha
Shocked at that light! How can anyone think that is acceptable and not notice it??

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
On second glance it does look like baked on bird poo. I would think they should be recoverable.

I'm hoping that they get rid of it or make a right hash of it so they have to respray haha
Take some detailing spray with you next time, give it a good soaking and see what will wipe off and what's left over. They can't look at you any funnier. That rear lights a bit worrying... any sign of damage around that area inside the boot (if you lift the carpet it) or underneath?
That's not a bad idea... I'm guessing they will do a rubbish job so i'll still see them! I looked at the paintwork near the light and everything looked ok but didn't check the inside stupidly enough lol i'll do that on Wednesday.
Shocked at that light! How can anyone think that is acceptable and not notice it??
Well funny you say that but 3 members of my family missed it the first time lol

It's funny how they work as they say they're honest from the beginning and the price doesn't move, yet they "knew nothing" of these issues and they ones they don't fix should diminish the price a little one would expect... How honest can I be without being a 5 star d**k lol

IL Cattivo

Apr 12, 2019
Oxford
Is this purschase from a Franchised Dealer?

I had bodywork issues, dents and scuffs when I bought my 65 plate Leon FR 150 and the dealer said that they were obliged to correct the damage as part of the sale. Last wednesday it went into their body shop and came out looking like a brand new showroom vehicle. They even did a great job of masking the 2 stone chips off the bonet and repairing the curbed allow on the front.

If they want to sell that car it's in their best interests to pull out all the stops to make it look showroom condition at sale. Worrying though that an 18 plate looks like that after only 13k on the clock!!

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Is this purschase from a Franchised Dealer?

I had bodywork issues, dents and scuffs when I bought my 65 plate Leon FR 150 and the dealer said that they were obliged to correct the damage as part of the sale. Last wednesday it went into their body shop and came out looking like a brand new showroom vehicle. They even did a great job of masking the 2 stone chips off the bonet and repairing the curbed allow on the front.

If they want to sell that car it's in their best interests to pull out all the stops to make it look showroom condition at sale. Worrying though that an 18 plate looks like that after only 13k on the clock!!
It's not from a SEAT dealer unfortunately it's Available Car so they think they're gods gift to the world (the ones i've met anyway)

The guy said it's sold as is, but if they didn't know about the stuff I found then the price doesn't match the car. It's just getting them to see that lol

The last place I went to which was a ford dealership they wouldn't do anything on price or fix stuff they said if you don't buy it someone else will. Maybe it's just me lol

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.