Diamond cut alloys

BenH1993

Jul 12, 2019
As I don't know much about types of alloys and diamond cutting processes, I'm wondering If it would be possible to have the alloys in the picture diamond cut?

I've not seen it done so I'd like to get the top layer cut and the inner edge painted in either a copper or bronze.

Maybe one of you can shed some light on this for me!

Cheers
2e4bce8120c2662f89470fe8c1afe930.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I know that is every one to make their own choices, but, for one, I'm delighted to have, so far, avoided buying a new car with diamond cut alloys! I accept that when new they look amazing but soon after, they start losing their appeal.
Maybe just consider leaving these wheels as they are and feeling smug when you walk past cars with very slightly scuffed diamond cut alloys that have started to show "white worm rot". I'm pushing my daughter very hard to get some winter 18" black painted alloys with winter tyres before that happens to her good looking new Cupra.

Edit:- to diamond cut these alloys looks to be tricky - easy for the outer rim part but not so for the sloping spokes.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Each to their own but given the choice of diamond cut or painted / powder coated alloys I’d always go for the painted / powder coated finish. I dislike diamond cut alloys with a passion;
  • Diamond cut wheels have great showroom appeal to some, because of the shiny ‘bling’ factor, but the diamond cut finish is quite fragile and not very durable for wheels on a daily driver exposed to all weather and road conditions.
  • A small stone chip to the lacquered surface that’s left unattended is enough to allow the ingress of water beneath the lacquer and the dreaded white worm corrosion will set in. Diamond cut alloys nearly always eventually succumb to white worm corrosion which can only really be removed by a full refurb; judging by my own experience and owners with diamond cut alloys on many VAG forums, white worm usually happens when the car’s wheels are between 2-3 years old.
  • Diamond cut alloys and winter road conditions (salt and grit) is a bad mix! Many alloy wheel retailers actually state on their websites that diamond cut wheels aren’t suitable for winter use.
  • They are more expensive to refurbish than wheels with a painted / powder coated finish and because the diamond cut refurb process involves removing a layer of metal from the face of the wheel, there’s a limit to the number of refurbs that can be done (usually no more than 2 or 3), otherwise the structural integrity of the wheel can be compromised.
  • They are easily damaged by inexperienced tyre fitters or poorly maintained tyre changing equipment.
@BenH1993; I think your wheels could be diamond cut. A good quality refurb to diamond cut would involve;
  • Stripping the existing painted / powder coated finish - usually by grit blasting.
  • Painting / powder coating the entire wheel in the colour of your choice.
  • Cutting back the face of the wheel to expose the shiny metal diamond cut surface - on your wheels, it would be the very edge of the wheel, and the thin flat edge of the sloping spokes. The wider sloping parts of the spokes would retain the new painted /powder coated finish / colour, giving you the two tone shiny metal / painted finish you get with diamond cut wheels.
  • Apply a coat of protective lacquer to the wheel.
Cost for a good quality refurb to your wheels in a diamond cut finish would be around £80-90 + VAT per wheel. Some places charge extra (around £15+VAT per wheel) to remove and refit the tyres. You may find that many wheel refurb places only provide a limited guarantee on diamond cut refurbs because of the fragility of the finish.

I personally wouldn’t get a set of wheels with a safe, durable painted / powder coated finish refurbished in a fragile diamond cut finish with potentially poor durability for the reasons stated above. In fact, on my last two cars, I’ve removed the diamond cut wheels and replaced them with a painted / powder coated set!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Are you trying to make those wheels look like the Polo/Golf GTI rims (below?) Yes they look nice, and especially when they are new or when you see the reflection of our car on the mirrors while moving mmm...however to make them look always shiny like in the showroom, it's significantly more effort. You would need to make sure you clean them with a (I think PH neutral) wheel based cleaner, and most car washes won't have this, then after you would need to apply a sealant (like poorboys one) to keep them looking shiny and repel brake dust. However as the others say, even if you may be a master of avoiding curbing them, a stone chip can undo all your hard work. I've seen many cars where I live, rear rims, very nice and shiny, front rims...oh dear, black scratches, white scratches (guessing this is white worming?), judging from their plates, it's 3-4 year old car.

If you do it, it may look nice for 1-2 years for sure with proper maintenance, by then perhaps you would move on to another car, alternatively you could get a brand new set of Rims with diamond cut finish, and if you get another Leon, put them there as well and use your current rims for backup / winters.

8a906eb86ea43ddd679e79818570af12.jpg

BenH1993

Jul 12, 2019
Are you trying to make those wheels look like the Polo/Golf GTI rims (below?) Yes they look nice, and especially when they are new or when you see the reflection of our car on the mirrors while moving mmm...however to make them look always shiny like in the showroom, it's significantly more effort. You would need to make sure you clean them with a (I think PH neutral) wheel based cleaner, and most car washes won't have this, then after you would need to apply a sealant (like poorboys one) to keep them looking shiny and repel brake dust. However as the others say, even if you may be a master of avoiding curbing them, a stone chip can undo all your hard work. I've seen many cars where I live, rear rims, very nice and shiny, front rims...oh dear, black scratches, white scratches (guessing this is white worming?), judging from their plates, it's 3-4 year old car.

If you do it, it may look nice for 1-2 years for sure with proper maintenance, by then perhaps you would move on to another car, alternatively you could get a brand new set of Rims with diamond cut finish, and if you get another Leon, put them there as well and use your current rims for backup / winters.

8a906eb86ea43ddd679e79818570af12.jpg
Cheers for the advice lads I really just had the idea knowing that nobody had done it before and wondered if it would be possible. May look into just having them refurbed and painted

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Madmick

Mar 6, 2019
The wheels can be milled and painted would cost a small fortune probably more than a set of new alloys

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Time for some enterprising person to bring "stick on or dipping" diamond cut looking finish to feed the need?(maybe)

You can get stick on vinyl overlay kits for the mk7 Golf GTI and Golf R standard fit diamond cut alloys. The kits don’t change painted / powder coated alloys to a diamond cut look, but it does noticeably change the appearance of the wheels by hiding sections of the diamond cut face under the overlays;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-...aphic-Logo-stickers-inserts-OEM-/123298918412

https://www.badgeskins.com/store/p168/VW_-_18"_Austin_Wheel_badgeskin_set.html

It doesn’t look as if similar kits are available for the Leon though;

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.