My 270K+ Leon, how many miles have you done?

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
January 2005 54 reg FR 150 TDi

Done a little over 160k - owned since 2008 and around 85k.

What fuel cleaner are you using? Mine failed on emissions last year and I paid a garage to do it for me and the emissions ended up being half as much as the MoT limit, but if I can get a good one and do it myself, I'd much rather do that.

2003 TDI 110 - bought in 2006 with 22k now on 144k

It's just a smoke test for the MOT on the TDI. You could try an injector cleaner but on a well maintained engine (clean air filter etc) it's normally soot in the exhaust from town driving. If possible take it out for a good blast on the way to the test, I try to book my MOT for first thing on a Saturday. I live near the M4 and use the local slip roads to rev out the soot a few times.

Couple of years ago the car was unexpectedly in the garage and had the MOT done at the same time. I didn't get a chance to give it a good thrashing beforehand, it passed but the smoke test value was a lot higher.

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
2003 TDI 110 - bought in 2006 with 22k now on 144k

It's just a smoke test for the MOT on the TDI. You could try an injector cleaner but on a well maintained engine (clean air filter etc) it's normally soot in the exhaust from town driving. If possible take it out for a good blast on the way to the test, I try to book my MOT for first thing on a Saturday. I live near the M4 and use the local slip roads to rev out the soot a few times.

Couple of years ago the car was unexpectedly in the garage and had the MOT done at the same time. I didn't get a chance to give it a good thrashing beforehand, it passed but the smoke test value was a lot higher.

This is one of the things I've never understood - if I give it some beans on the way to the test centre or take it on a run the night before, it passes without any trouble. None of what they do on the test seems to reflect any 'real world' driving. The emissions test involves them revving the engine to the redline and taking that reading, and I don't care how 'spirited' a driver you are, you don't drive everywhere (anywhere!) with your foot clamped firmly to the floor.

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
This is one of the things I've never understood - if I give it some beans on the way to the test centre or take it on a run the night before, it passes without any trouble. None of what they do on the test seems to reflect any 'real world' driving. The emissions test involves them revving the engine to the redline and taking that reading, and I don't care how 'spirited' a driver you are, you don't drive everywhere (anywhere!) with your foot clamped firmly to the floor.
Unless you drive a BMW!

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
OK, OK, OK, so except a BMW, Lupo, 206, Ibiza, Hyundai i30... you shouldn't need to drive around with your foot on the floor.

And a Ka, Polo, Astra...

Reactions: Zardoz

suprapaul1

Feb 8, 2015
East Yorkshire
191,000 miles on my 2003 cupra petrol regularly maintained by me. Modified with a few more cable ties then stock but love it despite having a modified Supra it's generally the leon keys that I grab first

Reactions: iammooks

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
'04 with 175k on it.
Oil change every 12 months (3-4k miles). Did the cams 2 years ago after hearing tapping noises from engine. Never skipped a beat
Glow plug harness done
Door seals
Rear wiper fixed (leak)
LCA's changed
Cam belt/water pump done with cams

These cars are great!

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Mines a 2007 MK2 1.9 PD, it had 117k when I got it, I'm nearing 130k so..nothing on this engine really.

I don't think she's had a healthy life prior to me though, had rough starting, rough idle, thermostat issue, clutch went, ABS pump blocked down one line, clutch slave cylinder went, turbo is on its way out and has been for a while.

After sorting the above (still need the turbo doing) it's been pretty reliable with regular maintenance, I try to use OEM parts when possible and well rates aftermarket parts.

Long term plan is to lower it, upgrade turbo, remap, upgrade brakes.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Years ago now I had a Peugeot 406 diesel. I bought it with 70k on it. Back then I was doing banger racing. I used it to tow all over the country. 5-6time a year to Scotland. Same again down to Cornwall. Dover a few times too and every where inbetween. This is all for different big race meetings. I also was scrapping a car or 2 every day. Plus just general life too. So any way it went up to 150k ish on white diesel. But then I was able to get hold of red. So traveling suddenly became a lot cheaper. In the end it went up to 380k on the clock. Knowing it would never sell with that kind of mileage I had it clocked back to 210k. A bloke I knew. A very dodgy car dealer bought it off me. So I thought well that's that gone.
A few months the later I was walking threw the town with my daughter and there parked in the taxi rank was my blue 406..... Still in good condition but now a taxi.
I had to get in it for a lift just for old time sake.. So we got in and got a lift home. The driver couldn't speak English that well. He was Easton Europe some where. But I looked over his shoulder from the back seat just to say where too... But I saw the mileage...fook me it now reads 82k. The bloody dodgy car dealer... Lol in all near on 300k miles had fallen off the clock on the car.

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Years ago now I had a Peugeot 406 diesel. I bought it with 70k on it. Back then I was doing banger racing. I used it to tow all over the country. 5-6time a year to Scotland. Same again down to Cornwall. Dover a few times too and every where inbetween. This is all for different big race meetings. I also was scrapping a car or 2 every day. Plus just general life too. So any way it went up to 150k ish on white diesel. But then I was able to get hold of red. So traveling suddenly became a lot cheaper. In the end it went up to 380k on the clock. Knowing it would never sell with that kind of mileage I had it clocked back to 210k. A bloke I knew. A very dodgy car dealer bought it off me. So I thought well that's that gone.
A few months the later I was walking threw the town with my daughter and there parked in the taxi rank was my blue 406..... Still in good condition but now a taxi.
I had to get in it for a lift just for old time sake.. So we got in and got a lift home. The driver couldn't speak English that well. He was Easton Europe some where. But I looked over his shoulder from the back seat just to say where too... But I saw the mileage...fook me it now reads 82k. The bloody dodgy car dealer... Lol in all near on 300k miles had fallen off the clock on the car.
Let me get this right, you hoodwinked someone that you knew?

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I got to 238,000 miles on my Mk1 150 FR when the water pump chucked out all of the coolant. Sold it to breakers as it wasn't worth the cost of fixing.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.