Cupra R ABT issues

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
So no capacity to adapt for any other mods? Fair enough.

It must respond to some potential mods.

For example if the box monitors a certain temperature (intake, charge air etc) and you can do something that brings down that temperature, then you will have more chance if it producing claimed power.

It would be nice to know exactly what temperatures and variables need to be in what ranges to produce full power.

Reactions: cra19n

cra19n

C14 RGG
May 8, 2010
glasgow
I did quiz SEAT UK why they didn't go with Racingline for example, VW UK/SEAT UK have a really good history with Volkswagen Racing (Racingline now) but was told they went with ABT as it was tried and tested in other markets.

Despite the fact Racingline are authorised dealers for Cupra Racing/ Volkswagen Motorsport in the UK as well now supporting TCR sales.
I think racinline is already well established in the market. Abt is also big but personally don’t think they are as well known and possibly offered Seat a better deal?
Think racinline would also have placed their tune directly on the ECU (better for end user and results) but seat/VW may no like this reason why they went with ABT plug in.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I have contacted both ABT and Richter recently to try and get some more insight into how the box works, what heat sensors it's sensitive to etc.
ABT have ignored me but I got the following info from Richter today.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Seat Tuning,

In basic terms it is not possible to get an accurate dyno reading here in the UK,

The Tune is independently tested, by the TUV in Europe, and is developed and setup on the 12M Euro ABT Dyno, one of the most expensive in Europe,

The tuning is very sensitive to heat, It is monitoring both Coolant and intake temperatures,

you would have no additional power from start, the power increases bhp by bhp until you reach 90 Degrees Coolant Temp, then you achieve full power.

The challenge is on a UK dyno there is limited cooling, and the tuning is programmed to also clip back, once intake temperatures etc get too high, so on a cheap £200K dyno it would read almost standard power, due to the heat soak in the engine bay, (yes they have some fans) but the ABT setup is accurately re creating what is on the road.

The fans are cooled, there is an entire cooling tower, so when you are doing 100mph you are getting 100mph of accurate and normal temp wind. so there is no build up of heat.

So both the Tune is very different to a conventional "Remap" and the dyno is much more advanced.

As discussed its not ABT that declare the figures it is all independently tested in German by TUV, to meet any emissions requirements etc.
If the tune is faulty it will flash some warning lights etc, and we also have the ability to bridge out the Tuning to show the standard power.

Hope this helps,

I have replied just asking to confirm its Coolant temp and not Oil temp that has to reach 90'c before full power is given, he must have got that wrong (or both have to reach 90'c at least) ?!?!
Also i've asked if there is any more info on at what temperatures on which sensor does the box start to reduce power.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
It will be oil, coolant will reach 90 in no time at all
I'd hope it would be oil, but if it is the Water temp, then hopefully it will be using the internal reading and not the one what is shown on the dash. Dash one just sits at 90, but if you use an OBD port reader you can see the temperature varies a great deal.

I would expect that the ABT box monitors oil and water temps to base its power. I suspect an upgraded intercooler would help, but would invalidate the warranty here in the UK.

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
That reply from Richter is bollocks, they are just throwing around some fancy words and and trying to stamp on pretty much every Dyno in the UK!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
That reply from Richter is bollocks, they are just throwing around some fancy words and and trying to stamp on pretty much every Dyno in the UK!

I agree completely. I want to see a picture of this 12m euro dyno they have.

Racingline and Darkside Developments have pretty decent dyno set ups including cooling.

ABT forget this is the UK, we practically invented cold weather all year round. Whats the betting their claimed power was at like -25 outside.

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Oh look I've found a video of the ABT HQ Dyno... its just a Maha with a big fan (same fan set up as Darkside Developments by the look of it)

I'd be really tempted to email them back and tell them you have seen the Dyno set up and its the same as Darkside.

Reactions: Damo H

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Oh look I've found a video of the ABT HQ Dyno... its just a Maha with a big fan (same fan set up as Darkside Developments by the look of it)

I'd be really tempted to email them back and tell them you have seen the Dyno set up and its the same as Darkside.

You can hear a bit of wind noise on that video lol

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Almost identical to Darksides set up apart from they use Dyno Dynamics. Got a Maha in MK (did have 2 until Audi UK sold theirs)

mrQQ

Apr 6, 2018
Guys, this is totally off topic, but I wanted to ask - does DSG map improve 0-100 times or not?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise