Electronics fault

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Driving home yesterday i noticed a weird crackling/vibrating noise coming from somewhere around the center console and dash. I assumed it was the rattling of my music or just the bumpy road so i thought not much of it.
Shortly after, just as i was pulling onto my road my dashcam turned off which never happens as it has constant power supply like most do.

Didn't have time to look into it last night so as i get in my car this morning, i noticed the rear wiper doesn't work, the center console air vents don't work and also my dashcam doesn't have power supply.

Is this a bigger problem than i first realised or could it be just a few fuses etc?

Any help is more than welcome, thanks.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
You need to get that investigated and sorted asap, it sounds like a short, which can cause a fire.

Don't just replace fuses, if you find any gone. They only blow for a good reason and audible crackling on a 12v supply is bad.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
I thought it would be a short, the only thing i can think is that the wire for the dashcam has been rubbing somewhere and it's now shorted.
ODB2 says i have Central electronics fault and a drivers door fault. I don't have a subscription for it but i think i will pay and see whats actually wrong.

When i purchased the car in August last year, the dashcam wire was already wired in from previous owner, and when i tried finding where it was plugged in i couldn't find it for the life of me. Nothing in the glovebox and the wire goes from behind rear view mirror down the pillar and just disappears lol.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
You need to get that investigated and sorted asap, it sounds like a short, which can cause a fire.

Don't just replace fuses, if you find any gone. They only blow for a good reason and audible crackling on a 12v supply is bad.

Well it turns out one of the fuses behind the glove box had come loose and fallen out. The fuse had another fuse attached to the back of it which i haven't seen before.

Ignition on, Dashcam turns on, rear wiper works and warm air through the center vents :thumbup:

Will keep an ear out for the fuse coming loose from now on.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.