Sluggish

Coops1645

Dec 8, 2019
Okay, so I'm kind of at my wit's end here, I cannot find any real possible reason for this but it's seriously getting on my nerves. My car is a 110 ASV tdi, apparently remapped to around 140, but it just feels like it's not really pulling very well. I've 100% cleared the sticky vanes, tried looking for leaks and also tried the MAF, but nothing has solved it. It feels quite good in 1st and 2nd, but 3rd just seems to take a lifetime to rev up, even though it will still accelerate past 70 and doesn't enter limp mode. I just feel like there should be more out of a 140bhp car? I'm not expecting mind blowing performance but this struggles to out accelerate 1.2s. If anyone could recommend any methods or things to check or things theyve had in the past it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
I have a standard 110 ASV and it'll accelerate at a fairly constant rate up to around 100. By 3rd gear the ECU should be calling for as much boost as it can. Which maybe highlighting a problem with the turbo or the boost pipes.

Ideally you'd need to use VCDS to log the request & actual boost, plus also to scan for any codes. It could be a number of things - a bad remap, boost leak, turbo, injector pump timing or even just fuel starvation if the fuel filter hasn't been changed for a while.

Coops1645

Dec 8, 2019
May be head gasket do you get smoke on start up from cold ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah heads still in good shape, no warning signs to say that it wouldn't be. Feels like it just loses it's umph in 3rd gear, like maybe because 3rd is a taller gear compared to 1st and 2nd the turbo isn't managing to pressurise the system as well? Just a theory

Coops1645

Dec 8, 2019
I have a standard 110 ASV and it'll accelerate at a fairly constant rate up to around 100. By 3rd gear the ECU should be calling for as much boost as it can. Which maybe highlighting a problem with the turbo or the boost pipes.

Ideally you'd need to use VCDS to log the request & actual boost, plus also to scan for any codes. It could be a number of things - a bad remap, boost leak, turbo, injector pump timing or even just fuel starvation if the fuel filter hasn't been changed for a while.

I believe it to possibly be either a bad remap or a boost leak. Turbo doesn't have much play to the shaft, though feels like it's not getting a lot of boost through the higher gears. It's strange, the cars not absolutely gutless, but at the same time it's underwhelming. I don't have any access to VCDS, I've never owned any other VAG vehicle before and I've now since sold my Snap On Diagnostics which I believe would have been able to do some of the things that I would need.

Coops1645

Dec 8, 2019
Try a new boost controller

Would this throw a fault through the system if it was acting up? Or would it be like a MAF that will just give incorrect readings but possibly not give a fault? I could always try though I suppose!

Coops1645

Dec 8, 2019
Blocked exhaust?
Maybe unbolt the downpipe and try it?

This could possibly be true! Also, I might add, there is no rear section of my exhaust, as it decided it no longer wanted to be a part of the rest of the system after an incident with a speed bump :rolleyes: but I wouldn't believe that to have an effect on performance as it wouldn't lose any back pressure from where it's broke, and surely it would just derestrict the exhaust anyway

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
I believe it to possibly be either a bad remap or a boost leak. Turbo doesn't have much play to the shaft, though feels like it's not getting a lot of boost through the higher gears. It's strange, the cars not absolutely gutless, but at the same time it's underwhelming. I don't have any access to VCDS, I've never owned any other VAG vehicle before and I've now since sold my Snap On Diagnostics which I believe would have been able to do some of the things that I would need.

Normally the ECU will restrict boost in lower gears but in 3rd it should be pushing the turbo as hard as it can.

It's highly advisable that you get access to VCDS before replacing parts randomly. The ASVs don't really have an engine management light. It'll just flash the glowplug light if it's really unhappy. My car has fault codes put no light, the only reason I knew was through VCDS.

I got VCDS working for £10 with a cable off eBay & a Windows laptop.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Would this throw a fault through the system if it was acting up? Or would it be like a MAF that will just give incorrect readings but possibly not give a fault? I could always try though I suppose!
The petrol equivalent doesn't throw a code if it's playing up, so presumably the diesel one doesn't either.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
You need to scan it

without seeing fault codes your just throwing money away on new parts in the hope that it fixes it.

even a cheap scan tool from ebay at £20 will do the job

Coops1645

Dec 8, 2019
You need to scan it

without seeing fault codes your just throwing money away on new parts in the hope that it fixes it.

even a cheap scan tool from ebay at £20 will do the job

My standard OBDII scanner throws up no faults, and no, don't worry, I wouldn't be so bold as to throw money away just for the sake that it might fix something.

Coops1645

Dec 8, 2019
Normally the ECU will restrict boost in lower gears but in 3rd it should be pushing the turbo as hard as it can.

It's highly advisable that you get access to VCDS before replacing parts randomly. The ASVs don't really have an engine management light. It'll just flash the glowplug light if it's really unhappy. My car has fault codes put no light, the only reason I knew was through VCDS.

I got VCDS working for £10 with a cable off eBay & a Windows laptop.

Ah, I see, that's handy to know, yet slightly unhandy that the engine management behaves in that way. I probably will invest in VCDS at some point, I was just hoping someone would have similar symptoms and be able to say "that's like mine!" See, in some ways I'm sort of glad it seems a little underpowered, as at least it can't rip out the clutch, but still, just seems lacking in some way

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.