Upgrade from Media System to Media System Plus

Oct 30, 2020
Hello,

Newbie here. I currently got a Leon FR with a media system and I’ll like to upgrade to a media system plus with Navi plus. Can anyone guide on how to do that or recommend a place that I can get it done. Many thanks

Attachments

• 5FA01DFE-1E01-45E8-9DFC-7E5C9640D504.jpeg
    5FA01DFE-1E01-45E8-9DFC-7E5C9640D504.jpeg
    842.1 KB · Views: 400
  • 9F0CC254-330B-4C4C-A3F1-756101294C03.jpeg
    9F0CC254-330B-4C4C-A3F1-756101294C03.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 411

ysfdncr

Jan 17, 2016
New Jersey, USA
It is long story :) It will cost too much. If you plan to spend such money I can tell you what you need to do. Otherwise it will just take time without any result. You will need a screen, a head unit, connection cables and activation service.

Reactions: Jay5959

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
As @ysfdncr said it ain’t cheap. A quick search is £500 for the 6.5 inch mib2. If you want the newer look with the bigger screen it’s closer to a grand. There’s a few uk suppliers and retrofitters. There’s a thread on here about it somewhere, I’ll see if I can find it

Oct 30, 2020
I have been looking around on eBay and I have found some units for about £450 (With component protection off). It includes the screen, head unit and a new USB port (I have one in the car now not sure I’ll need to replace that). The connecting cable is what I haven’t been able to find and also a guide to help with the installation.

Oct 30, 2020
As @ysfdncr said it ain’t cheap. A quick search is £500 for the 6.5 inch mib2. If you want the newer look with the bigger screen it’s closer to a grand. There’s a few uk suppliers and retrofitters. There’s a thread on here about it somewhere, I’ll see if I can find it

I checked with the company last week and he wasn’t very much interested in doing it. Kept saying I can’t do it. Really don’t understand why. Am not too fused about the screen size. Am more interested in the functionality

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
I checked with the company last week and he wasn’t very much interested in doing it. Kept saying I can’t do it. Really don’t understand why. Am not too fused about the screen size. Am more interested in the functionality
That doesn’t sound very promising, surprised they’re not bothered in doing it. Was this company on Nottingham? Sure I was looking at someone in Nottingham to fit one. There’s a guide on how to do it yourself, looks a fair bit of work tbh

Oct 30, 2020
That doesn’t sound very promising, surprised they’re not bothered in doing it. Was this company on Nottingham? Sure I was looking at someone in Nottingham to fit one. There’s a guide on how to do it yourself, looks a fair bit of work tbh

Many thanks for your response. No, they are in Reddit in the West Midlands. Do you remember the company in Nottingham? I don’t mind checking with them. I’ll also look through the guide and assess to see if it’s something I can do myself. Many thanks once again

ysfdncr

Jan 17, 2016
New Jersey, USA
I helped so many users here for the same upgrade. Here is the list you need to buy:

1. A head unit with navigation. Units with navigation easy to unlock and activate functions. If you buy a unit without navigation it will be so hard to activate functions. Possible part numbers: 5QA035846, 5QA035858
  2. Screen. It can be 6.5" or 8.0". Depends on your choice.
    8.0" screen part number: 5F0919606;
    6.5" screen part number 5F0919604
  3. LVDS video line cable for the connection between screen and unit. Can be purchased from aliexpress for cheapest price:
    Link: Buy from Aliexpress
  4. CAN data and electric transfer cables. It is not being sold. I can prepare it and send to you. Cable with socket costs €25 + shipping.
  5. You may move existing main socet into glovebox. No need extension cable.
  6. A new glovebox which has a compartment for MIB head unit or you may cut your existing one for cable entrance and place head unit on the plastic tray.
  7. When you run system it will drop into Component Protection. No sound will come out. No functions will be able to be used. So you must buy activation service for removing component protection and activating all functions. I do this job only via SD card.
    I prepare an SD card for your unit, you insert it into unit, run a system update and your system will be unlocked!
    You can use it forever and update your navigation maps for free, lifetime.
Any further questions feel free to contact me.

Oct 30, 2020

Just looked at that guide. That already has the wiring from the old system. If I was to do it on mine, I’ll need to do the wiring as mine doesn’t have the end unit in the glove box

Oct 30, 2020
I helped so many users here for the same upgrade. Here is the list you need to buy:

1. A head unit with navigation. Units with navigation easy to unlock and activate functions. If you buy a unit without navigation it will be so hard to activate functions. Possible part numbers: 5QA035846, 5QA035858
  2. Screen. It can be 6.5" or 8.0". Depends on your choice.
    8.0" screen part number: 5F0919606;
    6.5" screen part number 5F0919604
  3. LVDS video line cable for the connection between screen and unit. Can be purchased from aliexpress for cheapest price:
    Link: Buy from Aliexpress
  4. CAN data and electric transfer cables. It is not being sold. I can prepare it and send to you. Cable with socket costs €25 + shipping.
  5. You may move existing main socet into glovebox. No need extension cable.
  6. A new glovebox which has a compartment for MIB head unit or you may cut your existing one for cable entrance and place head unit on the plastic tray.
  7. When you run system it will drop into Component Protection. No sound will come out. No functions will be able to be used. So you must buy activation service for removing component protection and activating all functions. I do this job only via SD card.
    I prepare an SD card for your unit, you insert it into unit, run a system update and your system will be unlocked!
    You can use it forever and update your navigation maps for free, lifetime.
Any further questions feel free to contact me.

many thanks for that. I am happy someone is willing to help. I am happy to pay you for the cables and postage. Can I contact you directly ?

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Many thanks for your response. No, they are in Reddit in the West Midlands. Do you remember the company in Nottingham? I don’t mind checking with them. I’ll also look through the guide and assess to see if it’s something I can do myself. Many thanks once again
I don’t mate sorry, kicking myself as I did not save the link. These guys look decent, £45 extra for fitting, says it takes an hour

Oct 30, 2020
I don’t mate sorry, kicking myself as I did not save the link. These guys look decent, £45 extra for fitting, says it takes an hour

Unfortunately, they are currently sold out. ☹️. Am not sure if they’ll be happy if I source parts from other places like ebay