Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
What is it

Welcome to the 2020 SEAT MK4 Leon Estate FR 1.5 eTSI 150PS DSG, the successor to the popular MK3 Leon, we see a new shape, mild hybrid system and updated interior. How does it stack up against a SEAT MK3 Leon ST?

Verdict
A gutsy engine with good low-down power, the MK4 Leon Estate 1.5 eTSI FR is a great all-round car with new styling and updated tech to usher in the new generation of the Leon ST.

Our rating

4 stars out of 5

What we liked

Updated Technology
New Style Interior
Boot capacity
Low speed torque

What we didn’t like

New Leon badge...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
Great review - many thanks for posting. I fully agree with your observations regarding Lane Assist. I believe it is a valuable tool on motorways and dual carriageways but on our "B" roads it is nothing short of distracting (if not dangerous) in terms of the way the wheel tugs you towards an obstacle (e.g. a hedge on a country road) that you've moved slightly towards the centre of the road to stay clear of.

Re the seats, we too had noticed the seat base was longer than on our MK 3 Leon FR. I'm guessing whether you view this as a positive or a negative depends upon your height. For us, it is a negative since, in order to get our backs comfortable in the lumbar part of the seat, the seat base is firmly up against the underside of our knees.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Great review - many thanks for posting. I fully agree with your observations regarding Lane Assist. I believe it is a valuable tool on motorways and dual carriageways but on our "B" roads it is nothing short of distracting (if not dangerous) in terms of the way the wheel tugs you towards an obstacle (e.g. a hedge on a country road) that you've moved slightly towards the centre of the road to stay clear of.

Re the seats, we too had noticed the seat base was longer than on our MK 3 Leon FR. I'm guessing whether you view this as a positive or a negative depends upon your height. For us, it is a negative since, in order to get our backs comfortable in the lumbar part of the seat, the seat base is firmly up against the underside of our knees.
The lane assist was handy we both mention but if they just auto turned it off when you're in low speed or less than 60mph zone would be a start. I know you can indicate to cancel it out but most of the time I have issues with it, I was still within my lane.

Myself and my better half are quite tall, i'm 6ft2 and her lordship is between 5ft8 and 5ft10 so not sure how that marries up with you guys and girls.

Thanks for your reply :)

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
You are both taller than us (by about 4 inches) so that could definitely explain the seat issues. Re the Lane Assist, it does not activate until over 30mph. On our roads, I think that should be configurable (by the driver). If it has to be set to a specific figure then I would advocate a minimum of 45mph.

Reactions: Syphon

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
You are both taller than us (by about 4 inches) so that could definitely explain the seat issues. Re the Lane Assist, it does not activate until over 30mph. On our roads, I think that should be configurable (by the driver). If it has to be set to a specific figure then I would advocate a minimum of 45mph.
I was in a 40 when the main issues occurred for me which is around the edge of my town which makes sense lol I didn't research into it starting as that should of been obvious as I didn't swear at the car in a 30 haha driver config would be ideal indeed!

shanec07

Apr 22, 2015
Sligo Ireland
Thanks for the good write up. Looking forward to getting g my one! It’s due to be built next week all going well I should have it for the start of February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks for the good write up. Looking forward to getting g my one! It’s due to be built next week all going well I should have it for the start of February.

It's a good car! You going for the 1.5 eTSI estate as well? At least it's some good news for this year lol

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
I was in a 40 when the main issues occurred for me which is around the edge of my town which makes sense lol I didn't research into it starting as that should of been obvious as I didn't swear at the car in a 30 haha driver config would be ideal indeed!

We have a lot of 40mph roads around here and it is those that cause the most angst with the lane assist function.

Deleted member 123864

You won't have it until end-Feb / March I'd say. Mine was week 50 last year, and it only arrived in Dublin Port this morning. NVD (or whoever gets it to the dealers from there) are only operating at 25% capacity due to the Level 5 restrictions.

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
I can confirm that on every journey you have to turn on high beam assist. It doesn't remember after the ignition has been turned off. Just a case of pushing the light stick forwards

Reactions: Jimbobcook

shanec07

Apr 22, 2015
Sligo Ireland
You won't have it until end-Feb / March I'd say. Mine was week 50 last year, and it only arrived in Dublin Port this morning. NVD (or whoever gets it to the dealers from there) are only operating at 25% capacity due to the Level 5 restrictions.

Yours was a hatch back?Once it’s registered before vat goes back up in March, I won’t mind to much. I’ll be hounding the dealer from next week on for updates.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I can confirm that on every journey you have to turn on high beam assist. It doesn't remember after the ignition has been turned off. Just a case of pushing the light stick forwards
Thanks for confirming, I never thought to check... Just realised I don't half waffle on in my reviews haha

scuj1

Mar 3, 2015
Edinburgh, Scotland
Thanks for the review!

"You also get a 10cm+ USB-C to standard USB-A cable for those who don’t have the USB-C to USB-C cable lying around."

So no USB-C to USB-C supplied at all?

"On the other hand this MK4 had a lovely feature which auto brakes the car for roundabouts which made me very happy considering I do miss engine braking from using a manual instead of having to use the brakes in the MK3, at a specific distance based on the speed of the road the digital dash shows up a message for you to take your foot off the accelerator, if you do this before the message disappears then the car will engine brake itself so when you hit the roundabout you’re at a rolling speed which is pretty amazing, it got very addictive knowing you didn’t have to do anything for slowing down for roundabouts."

Is this specific to the DSG?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks for the review!

"You also get a 10cm+ USB-C to standard USB-A cable for those who don’t have the USB-C to USB-C cable lying around."

So no USB-C to USB-C supplied at all?

"On the other hand this MK4 had a lovely feature which auto brakes the car for roundabouts which made me very happy considering I do miss engine braking from using a manual instead of having to use the brakes in the MK3, at a specific distance based on the speed of the road the digital dash shows up a message for you to take your foot off the accelerator, if you do this before the message disappears then the car will engine brake itself so when you hit the roundabout you’re at a rolling speed which is pretty amazing, it got very addictive knowing you didn’t have to do anything for slowing down for roundabouts."

Is this specific to the DSG?
I assume they don't put all the cables in the car for the review versions so things don't go missing but they had to put the converter in as they want people to use the tech in the reviews I imagine, with that in mind I'd always use a cable that is official to the phone as my Mk3 had a few issues with cheaper ones using android auto.

As for the auto braking it uses the gear changes to bring the speed down so yes I would assume its dsg only but I cannot seem to find a definitive answer in the online manual. On the Phev edition of the MK4 we had shortly after this one it didn't show the screen to say take your foot off the accelerator it just shows a little symbol in the top middle I think.

Reactions: scuj1

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
From my understanding of the VW mild hybrid system it's recouping the energy with regenerative braking.

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/stories/the-new-golf-with-48v-technology-5004

Its in the system features section, the article is a good insight In to how the mild hybrid stuff works
Nice read, so the deceleration not using the brake gets a little bit of energy back which I assume is the bit talked about above as you take your foot off the accelerator way before you get to the roundabout almost like you coast to a roll before arrival, also get the option for when hitting the brakes you recoup way more power.

Unless I miss read it lol

pepsimax73

Aug 11, 2021
I must have a different one from everyone else cause I f*****g hate it worse car I have ever owned. I cant get rid of it as its a motability so I'm stuck with it for 3 torturist years I never should have replaced my Mk3 Leon 2.0 TDI better in every department

• Wow