DSG clutch slipping when cold? Only 1200 miles old

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
Another moan about my new car.

When cold and accelerating it feels like the clutch is slipping on the DSG.

The rev counter needle does not rise smoothly and it revs at random rpms when accelerating a bit like a clutch slipping.

This is my 4th car with DSG and this is the first experience of this feeling.

Can anyone relate to this?

spoolupboy

May 29, 2014
manchester
Most of the time if the gearbox oil is low that can cause slippages if you have a dipstick run the car n check while it's running on a level surface

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
That one has the celebrated DQ200 DSG. According to trusty Honest John he only recommends them for 1 litre engines... I had to remind him of that recently as he put a dampner on fitting them on any engine from posts he gets on the larger engines. He emailed back of his mistake that 1.0 TSI engine with them were fine. :love:

Why I don't reckon it's a good idea chipping your engine and have a heavy foot with these gear boxes. We have one in the household. Been fine fitted to a 1 litre 3 cylinder Arona ?.

VAG had gone over to using synthetic oil with them, they changed back to mineral oil and all was fine. Saying that he still gets post bag reports of issues with the DQ200. The bigger DSG gear boxes don't have these issues.

Sure it's not the engine running uneven when cold and just changing gear to make up ?. If it goes away when the engine is warm I wouldn't worry about it.

The other celebrated issue which is suppose to be fixed now is that the 1.5 TSI engine kangaroos. A software update was carried out that fixed that. Any new builds 2020 on or so would be fixed but secondhand ones not recalled could have the issue and need the software update.

Last edited:

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
That one has the celebrated DQ200 DSG. According to trusty Honest John he only recommends them for 1 litre engines... I had to remind him of that recently as he put a dampner on fitting them on any engine from posts he gets on the larger engines. He emailed back of his mistake that 1.0 TSI engine with them were fine. :love:

Why I don't reckon it's a good idea chipping your engine and have a heavy foot with these gear boxes. We have one in the household. Been fine fitted to a 1 litre 3 cylinder Arona ?.

VAG had gone over to using synthetic oil with them, they changed back to mineral oil and all was fine. Saying that he still gets post bag reports of issues with the DQ200. The bigger DSG gear boxes don't have these issues.

Sure it's not the engine running uneven when cold and just changing gear to make up ?. If it goes away when the engine is warm I wouldn't worry about it.

The other celebrated issue which is suppose to be fixed now is that the 1.5 TSI engine kangaroos. A software update was carried out that fixed that. Any new builds 2020 on or so would be fixed but secondhand ones not recalled could have the issue and need the software update.
Thanks the car is a November 2020 car.

the feeling does go away when engine is warm but it definitely resembles a slipping clutch when cold. my wife has a Kodiaq with the same and engine 1.5tsi and DSG and this does not happen PITA

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Thanks the car is a November 2020 car.

the feeling does go away when engine is warm but it definitely resembles a slipping clutch when cold. my wife has a Kodiaq with the same and engine 1.5tsi and DSG and this does not happen PITA
Might be worth plugging in a Carista or similar device and checking what the throttle response is set to. I got mine in november 2020 as well and thought the throttle was temperamental at times. Turns out the throttle response was on 'gradual by time'. I changed this to 'direct input' and its made a massive difference to the driveability of the car.

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
Might be worth plugging in a Carista or similar device and checking what the throttle response is set to. I got mine in november 2020 as well and thought the throttle was temperamental at times. Turns out the throttle response was on 'gradual by time'. I changed this to 'direct input' and its made a massive difference to the driveability of the car.
think ill get a carista and use the 1 month free subscription to activate any changes. was there any other changes you could carryout?

Tell

Staff member
If it's a 2020 FL most is locked down from VCDS type of activity due to license agreements. Have to check the sites of suppliers. Leon 4 Obdeleven thread on the other side of the board.

Seems only fiddling with the dash is possible. You would be locked out from engine behaviour for sure. Just a warning.

Tommy did say he'd done lane assist but have read not otherwise.

These units are locked down from what I've read:

01 - engine electronics
09 - Electronic central electrics
19 - Diagnostic interface for data bus
5F - information electronics 1

The doggle and interfaces can check for errors, clear errors but modding is severely limited. It will be up to suppliers to come to an arrangement. Hence the need to read the small print on websites, mention of SFD and 2020 model range. You also have to do the procedures with the bonnet up now where the control unit isn't locked down.... it's a new world.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
think ill get a carista and use the 1 month free subscription to activate any changes. was there any other changes you could carryout?
There are a load of options but whether or not they actually work is a different story. My MK3 Leon you could change a whole load of stuff but the whole VAG brand has now clamped down on a lot of the changes for whatever reason on the newer cars. I didn't try any other changes other than the throttle response as the Xperience Lux trim has everything I need. The throttle response definitely did work and make a huge difference for myself.

Tell

Staff member
There are a load of options but whether or not they actually work is a different story. My MK3 Leon you could change a whole load of stuff but the whole VAG brand has now clamped down on a lot of the changes for whatever reason on the newer cars. I didn't try any other changes other than the throttle response as the Xperience Lux trim has everything I need. The throttle response definitely did work and make a huge difference for myself.

Reckon under engine electronics above tinkering with how it behaves is locked down. What you have to do with these mods is look at the published VCDS mods of which units they go into, if they hit those in post 7 you won't be able to do it in the 2020 models. It was a loose end VAG left open and people used it. Dealer can do the stuff via ODIS. Whether VAG will monetarise it is yet to be seen so they get income of the VCDS suppliers. The system is based on tokens from Vag in Germany back to ODIS in the garage so you can see they could operate that way if they wanted to accepting that they would relent and let people mess with the behaviour of the car.

I personally keep away from engine behaviour changes. I would not recommend tinkering with the 150 TSI power output given the history around how weak the DQ200 DSG gear box is considered to be. Warranty replacement might be affected if a dealer determined things had been messed with.

The case for customising the Ateca was greater in the earlier models with one touch Kessy left out till about 2018. Till then the oddball arrange of standing holding the close button for several seconds to get the mirrors in. Seat relented and gave the option on the setup menu rather having to program it in, either one touch to lock and close mirror, or long touch to lock and close mirrors. It was always there but Seat chose to leave it out when Kessy was first introduced to the Seat range giving it an odd ball closing method. The WiFi client was incorrectly set up so you could sort that out. Mirror dip could be done but the car isnt fitted with the correct mirror motor to main position over long use. Think the mirrors are the wrong shape in any case. Panoramic roof one touch open and close with the windows can be actioned... overriding the disablement that VAG made after someone got there head stuck in it in America. You can put the tailgate closing beep off if it annoys the neighbours but you are at risk of it hitting yourself if it gets triggered by accident. Getting at the back end menu of the infotainment system is useful.

Frustration with stop - start. That's the only one I do just to turn the thing off between services.

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonMcC
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members