OBD Modifications

Tommy95

Jul 1, 2014
Coventry
Hi Everyone,

I have been having a play with OBDeleven with my car (FR First Edition) and have managed to code some things and thought Id share what I have found and create a thread where people can share there findings for us all.

I have managed to code:
Cupra Display
Lane Assist Point Of Intervention (Have yet to test, but should keep the car more central rather then let it almost drift out of lane before kicking in)
Lane Assist Set To Last Setting
Lane Assist Warnings Turned Off

I know a lot of people find lane assist is already to sensitive (its already set to lowest from factory), so I might have found a solution to this too. So you can turn it off and it will remember this setting each time the car is turned on etc, so now you can make it sensitive for the motorway and only turn it on when you want it.

Cupra Display:
Module 17 (Dashboard) -> Long Coding -> View Activation -> Set All 16 Views to active -> Write To Car

E1C1B92C-5F18-41E1-97BE-FAE27F3A4114.JPG

Lane Assist Point Of Intervention:
Module A5 (Driver Assistance) -> Long Coding -> Point Of Intervention -> Set To Early -> Write To Car

Lane Assist Warnings:
Module A5 (Driver Assistance) -> Long Coding -> Lane Assist Off Text -> Set To Disabled -> Write To Car

View recent photos.png

Lane Assist Settings:
Module A5 (Driver Assistance) -> Long Coding -> Configuration For Lane Departure Warning K15 -> Set To Last Setting -> Write To Car

Let me know what you guys find :D

Jan 27, 2021
oh thank you for sharing

I was thinking to buy the OBDeleven also , you need credits to activate the cupra display ?

Tommy95

Jul 1, 2014
Coventry
This is great! I thought there was no access to this anymore and VAG closed it off?

I think some modules are unlocked such as the ones above, some do require a password but this might change in the future.

oh thank you for sharing

I was thinking to buy the OBDeleven also , you need credits to activate the cupra display ?

I didn't need to spend any credits as you do the long coding rather than the apps. But to do long coding you need to have the pro version activated, can buy the basic reader then buy the pro code separate rather then the pro kit which is more expensive :)

Reactions: tsofras
Jan 27, 2021
I was trying to understand what's the best deal in order to buy one but couldn't understand

Thanks for the info , I might ask you again when I want to place the order as I had ordered my Leon this morning

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
I think some modules are unlocked such as the ones above, some do require a password but this might change in the future.

I didn't need to spend any credits as you do the long coding rather than the apps. But to do long coding you need to have the pro version activated, can buy the basic reader then buy the pro code separate rather then the pro kit which is more expensive :)

Password is that the normal access codes or different ones ?. How does it present. Do you have a screen shot on how it presents it's self in OBDELEVEN asking for the code.

Do you think this is Obdeleven work in progress that you have tapped into given the system interacts back to their home servers.

Good that you don't have to use the app credits. I did wonder whether this would be a way for VAG to moneytorise VCDS with VAG and Obdeleven taking a cut out of each mod. I always long code or use the adaptions menu if they have constructed one around it... Perhaps I should be promoting my Ateca ones again rather than the warning :eek:.

Tried turning stop / start off with the 12 volt setting ?. The old standard mods.

Tell

Staff member
I was trying to understand what's the best deal in order to buy one but couldn't understand

Thanks for the info , I might ask you again when I want to place the order as I had ordered my Leon this morning

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Well you need the one with the pro license. It an unlock code which you buy which gives you coding access other than that it's like Carista, app only.

I'm assuming whether you have the old Android only white or the new black ones you can do what Tommy did, suspect so since the dongle and smartphone app interface back to their servers.

New dongle or old Dongle Tommy ?. Someone needs to try the white one if new style.

Tell

Staff member
I see TheOldBoy previous from this parish, might be back, not sure, has got quite a bit on here which is worth reading if you got a 2020 FL car with some links which is worth exploring.

I see he thanking Tommy as well from the Seatcupra board :love:

https://www.clubseatleon.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=132217&p=2139624#p2139624

I see on the bottom of the post first posted 15th December 2020 but edit 28th January 2021, TheOldBoy says

If anyone else has made changes to non-SFD control units please share, I would also add, share your full backups here viewtopic.php? F = 8 & t = 120732 as this will help others to help you overtime.

So that means there are specific SFD modules and non SFD modules. The later they have success with. Good to know how they split out for mods. This Obdeleven thread throws some light on that and popping the hood to enable.... something that TheOldBoy mentions:

Probably other stuff on German boards. Suggest a nose about on those as well.

So yes let's get what's possible here from testing.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
thank you thank you

So i need this one ?
https://obdeleven.com/en/home/62-pro-pack-0758277987813.html

And i have to spent credits when i unlock something ?

Sorry if i am going off topic with this question :)

To do the long coding / toggle the setting yourself, you need the 24-99 euro activation license, without that you can only just run the apps with the credits. Obdeleven have always marketed it like this which confuses people. If you were using the apps which come with it (they are macros) then it uses the credits. It comes with 200 credits free. You can buy credits but then you can do everything pre the 2020 Vag range by "programming" it which is in the 24-99 Euros. You get one credit every time you turn the app on in a day. Hence you can build them up that way ?.

"Programming" is either flicking menu toggles or going into the long strings and changing the bytes. Basically the car has set of sub systems called control units. Each has a string in it called a long code. It's those long codes which configure how the modules of the car behave. All VCDS programming changes those long codes. There are toggle name (sometimes only in German) which are common to the elements of the long code string which are brought out in VCDS so they have an adaption menu in Obdeleven which bring these out, toggling these changes the long string. Alternatively you can go in and edit the string yourself. That's the essence of "programming". It's just either toggling menu options of the control units or editing the long string. A specific function in the car may require edits in several control units e.g. enabling dropping the reversing mirror if disabled (might be disabled since the correct motor isn't fitted, the Ateca issue).

The Obdeleven app are like Excel macros, you run them and they do a sequence of commands. There have been issues in the past with Obdeleven macros not working since they aren't tested on a model. It's more fun programming the car than running apps. You do have to back up the string before you change anything and not carried away. Obdeleven does contain a history file of changes but unlike a computers restore you have to manually reverse the process you went thru, hence you need to keep a record of changes.

On the Ateca side I give a tutorial on its use. Also a resource split into two halves. That covers registration and examples of programming.

This was all before the 2020 changes. The mods are common between VAG cars except where the control units are controlling different units, like the light units. VAG personalises it's models via VCDS. An example is traffic sign recognition where it uses the lane assist camera but TSR is sold as an extra on some models ranges or not sold at all. Turning it on gives you TSR.

What we don't know at this stage is how much 2020 model range (KL) has locked you out of modding these control units. The display one it hasn't from Tommy's post. Process of discovery if you have the car, the app and web searching what others have achieved across the Vag 2020 brand. Hence people are looking at the Golf 8 on the linked posts. There will be a band of Obdeleven / VCDS people hammering away at it across the continent and world which one can learn from.

The Obdeleven post on Proboards (December 2020) user testeroneline

has these as the SFD locked modules:

01 - engine electronics - seen this on a couple threads
09 - Electronic central electrics - seen this on a couple threads
19 - Diagnostic interface for data bus - seen this on a couple threads
5F - information electronics 1 - seen this on a couple threads

You can cross reference the Leon 3 mods / Ateca 5F mods and cross out what you can't do.

The Ateca issue back in 2016 was nobody least on the Seat side had the settings for automatic closing and opening the panoramic window via the long press on the remote or Kessy since the system was new. The electric tailgate sound suppression of the beep, beep, beep wasn't one published. Others got there in the end but we're not standard mods you would find on Seat boards... a German speaker in the Netherlands sorted that out. You can screen shot the Obdeleven and put it through Google translate images if you dont have a German speaker to hand... That's another trick if you dont speak German and into a completely undocumented mod.

So probably two things going on at the minute, what you can actually do with the 2020 changes to VCDS (control unit that are not locked by SFD) and learning about new control units that have made their first appearance which aren't locked but not well documented.

Thus from a quick read some progress has been made on the unlocked modules, Obdeleven haven't as yet sorted out agreements, licenses and what have you on the full functionality of VCDS within the tool. So still work in progress.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
That was an excellent explanation - but my head still hurts a bit o_O

Afraid you have to be committed to the mods ?. May be there is a mod that you are really commited to. You can anyway do a scan which is useful to monitor errors coming up.

Await Tommy et al publishing what's possible but that will change when SFD is sorted out for Obdeleven giving access to the other control units.

Tommy95

Jul 1, 2014
Coventry
Well you need the one with the pro license. It an unlock code which you buy which gives you coding access other than that it's like Carista, app only.

I'm assuming whether you have the old Android only white or the new black ones you can do what Tommy did, suspect so since the dongle and smartphone app interface back to their servers.

New dongle or old Dongle Tommy ?. Someone needs to try the white one if new style.

I have the new dongle, just the standard edition with a pro licence using IOS :)

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
I have the new dongle, just the standard edition with a pro licence using IOS :)

It would work with the ye old original white one as well and Pro license (y).

I applied the scientific method yesterday and checked to see what apps they supported on the Leon 4 at the minute, nill. Thought it would be interesting to see which app based mods had excluded so they would have been round the control units which are currently protected by SFD. Think they haven't currently provided any apps so any activity has to be done using the programming / coding method, not the lazy app approach for novices ;).

I also checked the Ateca 2020, they have quite a few showing. Here you could cross check the published coding for those, whether they go into the unsupported control units and whether those elements of the control unit are in the Leon 4. You might find some mods in their that you can do with the Leon 4. Slides 2 and 3.

There is nothing shown against the Golf 8 yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210201-082448.png
    Screenshot_20210201-082448.png
    273.2 KB · Views: 1,540
  • Screenshot_20210201-082614.png
    Screenshot_20210201-082614.png
    699.3 KB · Views: 1,699
  • Screenshot_20210201-082643.png
    Screenshot_20210201-082643.png
    697.7 KB · Views: 1,423
  • Screenshot_20210201-082856.png
    Screenshot_20210201-082856.png
    322.5 KB · Views: 1,431

Tell

Staff member
Point you to this thread if you want to turn lane assist being permanently on to off at each start up or vice versa:

See @t_v post on the thread. Reckon it would work on a Leon 4. It's a parameter on Lane Assist control module that was knocking about historically which VAG has now used even prior to the lock down of VCDS (SFD) on the Tarraco but appears to be one of the control units not locked down if you you follow my posts after. Worth a try on a Leon 4. We say appears not locked now, could be, worth a try.

The Peta2020 post in those links

>>

All of you probably know that all the Scalas and Kamiqs are equipped with Lane assist systems (even the entry level ones). Although this system is usually very helpful, it is a bit annoying that once it is turned off in maxidot menu - assistance systems, it turns back on upon cycling a key.

However this is the coding that prevents this from happening:

-> Control Unit A5 - Driver Assistance
-> select Long coding
-> change setting Perso_HC from Activated to Last_setting
-> press the magical green button to save the changes

tip: in case you get the error when saving -> (31) function not available, change the mode to vw - diagnostic mode, and try again (even if you are already using this mode, just reselect it again)

Once activated, the car will remember the last state of Lane assist (on or off) upon cycling the key.
;)

<<

Hood open seems to be the order of the day post SFD. The A5 modules seems to be fine as far as SFD from this thread:

Could be the tip part that gets it thru SFD if an issue.... Perso_HC comes up as a toggle on Obdeleven long coding if you put it in the toggle mode, marked up. Least on the Ateca view on the module - see attached example.

The object is to get it last setting. Would not use the byte editing but the screen view which will renders the Leon 4 string passed (long string may vary by models, documented byte position is for another model (I've deleted the byte value on the cut and paste above so you have to use the screen rendering of the long string) then look for Perso_HC. You need the accept security code (20103). Hood open, engine running ofcouse.

Interested to know how it goes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210320-090355.png
    Screenshot_20210320-090355.png
    346.2 KB · Views: 1,017
Last edited:

DanMn

Nov 26, 2020
I’m itching to try obdeleven on my first edition, but keep reading about certain Control units are locked, also the iOS app not having all features keeps coming up.

Tell

Staff member
I’m itching to try obdeleven on my first edition, but keep reading about certain Control units are locked, also the iOS app not having all features keeps coming up.

These control units are the ones people identify as locked down:

01 - engine electronics
09 - Electronic central electrics
19 - Diagnostic interface for data bus
5F - information electronics

Outside of that having the bonnet up helps... (Might help with those) bonnet up is a new trigger to intercept mods outside of that it appears. The dash one published above is why that was achieved. Have read others have done stop start with SFD protected cars with Obdeleven.

Need the Pro with all of this and it's sucket and see. The access codes are the normal ones. Not sure where Tommy has gone. Might pin the thread 😉.

Personally I can't see an agreement coming between Obdeleven and VAG to enable SFD unless they hack it... one could wait a long time for SFD to be integrated into a user programming tool. Could be proved wrong thou.

Either way you can still do diagnostics even on units which are SFD protected to check the health of the car so it's not money down the drain. But the Pro version every time.

Reactions: DanMn

Tommy95

Jul 1, 2014
Coventry
These control units are the ones people identify as locked down:

01 - engine electronics
09 - Electronic central electrics
19 - Diagnostic interface for data bus
5F - information electronics

Outside of that having the bonnet up helps... (Might help with those) bonnet up is a new trigger to intercept mods outside of that it appears. The dash one published above is why that was achieved. Have read others have done stop start with SFD protected cars with Obdeleven.

Need the Pro with all of this and it's sucket and see. The access codes are the normal ones. Not sure where Tommy has gone. Might pin the thread 😉.

Personally I can't see an agreement coming between Obdeleven and VAG to enable SFD unless they hack it... one could wait a long time for SFD to be integrated into a user programming tool. Could be proved wrong thou.

Either way you can still do diagnostics even on units which are SFD protected to check the health of the car so it's not money down the drain. But the Pro version every time.
Still here! :thumbup:

I am using the IOS version too and it works ok for me, like Tell said its very trial and error to see what does and doest work. I have to have my bonnet open to do any coding on mine or it just fails. Some items I'm trying are a lap timer etc which enable but don't show up on the digital dash or info screen, either I can't find them or I haven't properly turned them on haha!

But OBDeleven is handy for reading errors (which these cars do get a lot of but I wont go into that haha!) But yes, Pro version every time and its worth it just for what I and others have found out.

I had read that end of march there should have been something sorted between OBD and VW group about sorting out access to the modules. I think this is in the works but I'm not sure where the current progress is?

Jan 27, 2021
So just ordered mine

Any new mods ? I am interested in the cupra digital cockpit as the first mod

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.