Best place to get a (coil pack) part number?

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
I feel I'm missing a Sticky/FAQ... but where's a good site to look up part numbers (for a 2014 Cupra 280 DSG)?

In this case a coil pack but say spark plugs or ... well, anything.

Some sites list more than one - and they're clearly not identical - so rather than try to remove a part to compare, can't I put in my VIN (or some such) somewhere and get the right part number?

Thanks.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Or online version of EKTA:

Coil Packs in Electrics section.

06J905110 - the letter at the end is either mod state or manufacture indicator.

I’ve seen mod state ‘N’ for sale. Eg. 06J905110N
Thank you!! I looked under Engine and thought WTF?

It doesn't accept my VIN, is that "normal" (for that site)? I'm coping via the car's year, so just wondering.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Thank you!! I looked under Engine and thought WTF?

It doesn't accept my VIN, is that "normal" (for that site)? I'm coping via the car's year, so just wondering.
No the VIN function will not work as I assumed it’s a ripped version.

As I stated, you may need to confirm the mod state. Dealer or TPS would ensure that you get the correct/latest modification state, but the front part of the part number will be the same.

Awesomegti.co.uk are selling mod state ‘N’ coil packs.

Paris

Sep 11, 2015
Paris (french)
My friend has a similar model and through the service Epicvin that I use issues a vin number. Are you sure you are entering all the numbers correctly? Most likely some problems occur with vehicle history by vin

Last edited:

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
My friend has a similar model and through the service that I use issues a vin number. Are you sure you are entering all the numbers correctly? Most likely some problems occur
Which "service"?
I am using my actual VIN, yes.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've found that VINs don't seem to work on any I've used - though that can't be a UK issue though, just something else, just how hard is it to check the number on your current coils, other than that, as said twice already, if you contact a VW Group dealership's parts department you would be given the latest part number as most parts do get revised for many reasons.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
I've found that VINs don't seem to work on any I've used
Certainly what I've found up to now with this car. First car where I've found that to be the case but this is also the first VAG car I've owned.
just how hard is it to check the number on your current coils, other than that, as said twice already, if you contact a VW Group dealership's parts department you would be given the latest part number as most parts do get revised for many reasons.
Well I picked coil as an example but have a fair list which will grow over time and forever calling a parts dept is hardly ideal.

Similarly, using the well-know suppliers I keep getting a message to check which of 2 or more clearly different parts is the right one - not too bad if you can get at the part but daft if it's awkward. Again, never had this with other cars but I expect I can get used to it.

Thanks all, I just didn't realise this would be the situation.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
On our previous VAG cars that had these COPs, the manufacturer, their part number and date code and the VW Group part number were all printed on the upper surface, same with my wife's current 2015 Polo, but with my 2011 S4 with its red COPs, I've yet to find any part numbers or anything else.

One thing that I do like about owning and fixing VAG cars is the availability of online parts listings that you can trust, and VAG parts numbering system is logical - probably due to the intervention of the British Arm after WW2!

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Alas, the parts numbering system pre-dates Maj Ivan Hirst - albeit, the REME are always hosted very well in Wolfsburg.

Attachments

• 99BA739B-AE8D-42F7-974C-EBEE76432A3F.jpeg
    99BA739B-AE8D-42F7-974C-EBEE76432A3F.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 75

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
One thing that I do like about owning and fixing VAG cars is the availability of online parts listings that you can trust
Oh good, that's effectively where this thread started - what are these places please? Or do you only mean once you know the part number then you can find places which sell it?

If it's merely the latter then that's something I'm used to with non-VAG cars but they also had reliable places to find the part number in the first place.

As I pointed out, the coil pack is just an example. Plenty of things are tough to get at so one would very definitely NOT want to take lots apart in advance of a repair just to find the part number prior to ordering a replacement.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.