Terminating Formentor.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I ordered dongle today. I didn't realise these things became so cheap. I remember when it costed hundreds to get the equipment, etc. I'm not sure, I'm comfortable with changing car settings, but will give it a go tomorrow.

Reactions: Tell and Michael1a1

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
I ordered dongle today. I didn't realise these things became so cheap. I remember when it costed hundreds to get the equipment, etc. I'm not sure, I'm comfortable with changing car settings, but will give it a go tomorrow.
Did you get the ODB Eleven dongle?

I've got one that i had previously and have used on my older cars an managed to change quite a bit to alter certain settings to suit me, but up till having a look at this post i'd not realised that it might be possible to sort the lane assist annoyance! i thought that VW had pretty much locked everything down.

I can just about get used to everything else, although the ACC with the stopping undertaking can be annoying in certain situations. But the lane assist for me is just not suitable as i drive around on a lot of country roads so crossing lines is a given an having to remember to turn it off all the time is very frustrating!

I will try an give it a go over the next couple of days too, but if you have a go let us know how you get on with it

Tell

Staff member
The lane assist is open that's how the Leon 4 people change the intervention settings. Only one of the three I've suggested here is the AC setting to defeat SS where some say it does it, others say not. Needs to be tested.

If you got the Pro license plug it in, long coding on the control unit in question, 0-1, you need the text as per above tapping to toggle the screen with text, change, save etc.

Tell

Staff member
Here's another one for those who might want to get rid of the Formentor due to the tailgate beep 😉

Should find it looking at the 6D control unit key word "equipment activate-tone generator" put to inactive. Think that can be found under Adaptions in Obdeleven in the control unit rather than long coding.

Might wack you on the head thou if something goes under the car whilst standing behind and moving back (excited pet). It happens. Left my Ateca tailgate to beep... safer.

From German Motor Talk on Formentor coding.

What I could still code for the Formentor with electr. Tailgate to deactivate the "warning / beep" sound. This sounds originally on

1.) Open / close by pressing a button in the driver's door

2.) Open / close with a long press on FB

3.) Close with foot gesture control

STG 6D tailgate

Access authorization 12345

Adaptation

Channel ENG131232-MAS01911-equipment activate-tone generator

from active to inactive

Suspects it appears as the Ateca one if you can't find it on the keyword search above (fun of VCDS modding).

Adaptation
Control unit: 6D Deck Lid Control Unit
Name: Ausstattungen aktivieren
Values:
Tone sensor:
Old value: active
New value: not active

Security code 12345

----

Summary of Leon 4 ones here off the Spanish thread, we've also got Leon 4 thread here, the German Motor Talk specific Formentor ones (note an additional ACC ones is talked about there) plus the Obdeleven proboards thread. Apart from the display which may or may not map over the rest should be interchangeable with a Formentor.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.clubseatleon.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=132217#p2139624

Heartened to see SS on that list although people make a home screen of the setting for quick access so I understand so if it can't be done that way it can be done by making a short cut to tap each time.

Last edited:

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I did some modifications and went for a test drive. I was able to switch off lane assist, undertaking prevenion and changed some other visual options. Start/stop is coming back. Modification is reverting to default.

I will add more info from my desktop tomorrow. Took same photos and print screens. All that info should go to more relevant thread.

Reactions: bigcarpchaser

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
I did some modifications and went for a test drive. I was able to switch off lane assist, undertaking prevenion and changed some other visual options. Start/stop is coming back. Modification is reverting to default.

I will add more info from my desktop tomorrow. Took same photos and print screens. All that info should go to more relevant thread.

This would be interesting to read, including what device you got. Agree a new thread would be better!

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Pump priming you to have a Obdeleven Formentor thread 😉. Think that's all the links. I hadn't seen the tailgate beep one on the Leon 4 thread probably since they don't have one.

Have you got your dongle yet. Thought that was tomorrow or you had it in your bottom draw from 5 years ago. Wait with anticipation.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
I assume it must be the same dealer. Otherwise, you would be able to just sell the car and not take finance again.

I avoid ACC, because it's one of the reasons to get rid of Formentor. I don't like ACC, I want to decide myself when to slow down and when to accelerate. And if you add poor software in Formentor, it's even worse, car slowing down randomly when another car is on left or on right. I don't expect it will be fixed any time soon.

Every time I drive on motorway, I have to fight with the car. Overriding slowing down, because something is on the other lane, etc.

Sorry to hear this - it definitely seems like it's tuned for LHD as you've mentioned before. It's a bit weird though as on my many trips to the UK with Golfs and Audis as rental cars the ACC has been fine - mind you, could be heavily dependent on the roads/time of day.

It's going to be tough I suppose trying to find a reasonably high-end VAG car without ACC though, given it's a 'desirability' option.

Edit: Read more of the thread regarding undertake prevention... unlikely the cars I rented had that to be fair. Don't think over here in Germany there are many situations also that would have triggered it. Will keep an eye out.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany

I find the start/stop on the Formentor to be reasonably unintrusive actually - seems to start very quickly and in my case, it seems to also start as soon as the car in front moves. Compared to my last car where stop/start drove me mental, I hardly notice it at all in this one. Of course, I'm skeptical regarding how bad it is for the car mechanically.

Tell

Staff member
Sorry to hear this - it definitely seems like it's tuned for LHD as you've mentioned before. It's a bit weird though as on my many trips to the UK with Golfs and Audis as rental cars the ACC has been fine - mind you, could be heavily dependent on the roads/time of day.

It's going to be tough I suppose trying to find a reasonably high-end VAG car without ACC though, given it's a 'desirability' option.

Edit: Read more of the thread regarding undertake prevention... unlikely the cars I rented had that to be fair. Don't think over here in Germany there are many situations also that would have triggered it. Will keep an eye out.
You do read on Leon 4 and 2020- model threads of some of them picking up the opposite to the expected to affect undertaking. Some suggestions of changing the way the car is set up in VCDS or lighting setup on the cars system. If you don't lIke the way the car prevents undertaking in ACC you can just switch off that facility as discussed early up on the VCDS parameter. ACC works but the side prevention of slowing the car down whilst passing other traffic is prevented. The name of the parameter is the same whether on LHD or RHD so if the car is wrongly setup but you dont like that feature it just fixes it in any case. Deactivate right undertaking prevention parameter covers left / right hand drive. Generic parameter name.

The two key ones are on post 22 which makes the car behave better. Lane assist and undertaking if an issue. Shown in Obdeleven form to look for in the device and activate:

The Perco parameter takes off the auto defaulting of lane assist off. If you like to have it on at each start up after the change it stays on if you dont turn it off. It takes the forced auto on, on ignition to off.

There is as mention of another ACC feature that can be brought out of the Formentor using VCDS parameters as I generically call them as mentioned on the Motor Talk thread. The Obdeleven Proboard thread has nothing in it yet posted on mods for the Formentor, but set up waiting as a place market. Haven't got the car myself so there is something elsewhere as well on cruise control that can be unlocked. Suspect like the Leon 4 alternative dash displays can be unlocked in the Formentor. The artificial engine sound can be turned down to zero on the Formentor using VCDS methods rather than disconnecting it. Another known mod.

Last edited:

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I will drive to the office today (don't need to, but want to test the car in real life conditions) and see how ACC behaves with heavy traffic. Yesterday there was not a lot of cars on the road, had to undertake someone on purpose to see it was disabled for RHD. Normaly, I don't slalom between lanes, it's just lanes going slower or faster and that's when undertaking takes place. Anyway, I didn't see car icon on left or right on ACC display and driving was much better. No stupid slowdowns all the time and overrding it.

I put all the codes and print screens in seperate thread and it's better to continue it there and maybe edit a title a bit. https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/obd-eleven.465537/

Last edited:
Reactions: EuKiwi

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
I will drive to the office today (don't need to, but want to test the car in real life conditions) and see how ACC behaves with heavy traffic. Yesterday there was not a lot of cars on the road, had to undertake someone on purpose to see it was disabled for RHD. Normaly, I don't slalom between lanes, it's just lanes going slower or faster and that's when undertaking takes place. Anyway, I didn't see car icon on left or right on ACC display and driving was much better. No stupid slowdowns all the time and overrding it.

I put all the codes and print screens in seperate thread and it's better to continue it there and maybe edit a title a bit. https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/obd-eleven.465537/
I don't think I've even SEEN the car icon left or right on ACC to be honest...

Last edited:

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Maybe you never undertake :) There's totaly different driving discipline in Germany and people don't tent to hog lanes, because they are flashed at straight away.

Regarding early termination, I'm still waiting for dealers to come back to me with some quotes, but so far nothing. They probably wait for VWFS quotes.

I'm moved from "desperate to get rid of Formentor, because I can't stand it any more", to "maybe it will be drivable after few more modifications". But it's still a shame that I have to buy extra tools to make car drivable.

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
The lane assist is open that's how the Leon 4 people change the intervention settings. Only one of the three I've suggested here is the AC setting to defeat SS where some say it does it, others say not. Needs to be tested.

If you got the Pro license plug it in, long coding on the control unit in question, 0-1, you need the text as per above tapping to toggle the screen with text, change, save etc.
All of these can be classed as modifications, BMW voided electrical warranties for coding and I'd presume VAG could do the same. Every bool you switch on / off will be logged so it doesn't matter if you remove them before services. It really comes down to how funny Cupra / Seat want to be about it..

Then again if they give you the option to switch this stuff off anyway there should be a permanent / simpler option, especially considering the fact that you can turn off ESP / traction control via a single button. In 2015 I borrowed an Astra from work whilst mine was in the shop and it had all the safety gubbins the Cupra has, I can't disagree that on occasion it was quite dangerous and it's just a matter of time before something goes horribly wrong (if it hasn't already).. The Astra had a habit of randomly kicking off collision detection and someone nearly slammed into the back of me.

Whilst I enjoy how the Cupra drives I don't think a lot of common sense or logic was used in its safety feature implementation.

Last edited:

Cupradev

May 10, 2021
My car is 2021 have to say that ACC has been behaving impeccably for me during my commute in heavy traffic. There’s a stretch of M60 which is on a bend and has a 50mph limit for about a mile. Usual morning traffic sees the stretch chock full of middle lane hoggers doing 45!! 🤦🏻‍♂️ One morning last week I sat in the slow lane ACC set to 55 and lane clear ahead. As I approached the first middle lane hogger the car identified the middle land car, dropped speed to 45 BUT, after a few seconds the car allowed the speed to rise and began passing the middle lane traffic in my open lane. Passed around eight cars before I caught the car in front and the car settled in behind it at around 50. Very surprised by this.
Thanks Agnes from the ACC setting advise too, having it in Cupra suits me much better.
Since I’ve had the car I have not set myself up as a user. I have not assigned myself a key. I have not downloaded the MyCupra APP. I have just got into it every morning started the engine and driven it. My drive modes have been remembered. My individual settings are stored. My Radio stations remain. So I’m going to just stay as I am and feel quite fortunate that my car seems to be behaving. 🤞🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
I assume it must be the same dealer. Otherwise, you would be able to just sell the car and not take finance again.

I avoid ACC, because it's one of the reasons to get rid of Formentor. I don't like ACC, I want to decide myself when to slow down and when to accelerate. And if you add poor software in Formentor, it's even worse, car slowing down randomly when another car is on left or on right. I don't expect it will be fixed any time soon.

Every time I drive on motorway, I have to fight with the car. Overriding slowing down, because something is on the other lane, etc.
Can you not turn ACC off?

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
My car is 2021 have to say that ACC has been behaving impeccably for me during my commute in heavy traffic. There’s a stretch of M60 which is on a bend and has a 50mph limit for about a mile. Usual morning traffic sees the stretch chock full of middle lane hoggers doing 45!! 🤦🏻‍♂️ One morning last week I sat in the slow lane ACC set to 55 and lane clear ahead. As I approached the first middle lane hogger the car identified the middle land car, dropped speed to 45 BUT, after a few seconds the car allowed the speed to rise and began passing the middle lane traffic in my open lane. Passed around eight cars before I caught the car in front and the car settled in behind it at around 50. Very surprised by this.
Thanks Agnes from the ACC setting advise too, having it in Cupra suits me much better.
Since I’ve had the car I have not set myself up as a user. I have not assigned myself a key. I have not downloaded the MyCupra APP. I have just got into it every morning started the engine and driven it. My drive modes have been remembered. My individual settings are stored. My Radio stations remain. So I’m going to just stay as I am and feel quite fortunate that my car seems to be behaving. 🤞🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼
Exactly the same for me.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Can you not turn ACC off?
No, I can't stop using ACC and there's no way to make is standard, non adaptive one. I leased a car with cruise. If I wanted one without it, I would be driving Abarth 595, which doesn't have it.

Audi dealer still waiting for purchase price from VWFS. Got the update yesterday. I may go to the dealership tomorrow, to see if they did any work on A6 and check it out again.

Tell

Staff member
No, I can't stop using ACC and there's no way to make is standard, non adaptive one. I leased a car with cruise. If I wanted one without it, I would be driving Abarth 595, which doesn't have it.

Audi dealer still waiting for purchase price from VWFS. Got the update yesterday. I may go to the dealership tomorrow, to see if they did any work on A6 and check it out again.
Well we didn't fix it for Agnes.😂

It was the undertaking issue that wound Agnes up (M25) and fumbling lane assist off at the start of each drive (that can be fixed)... forgetting the long grass or passing cars when reversing. I don't use ACC myself drive by the speed limits and traffic conditions (get cramp if the foot isn't doing anything)... The old manual method but aided with TSR with beeps if speeding and speed camera areas. Although with TSR you dont really need speed camera warnings unless you intend to speed.

Dealers dont go looking for mods, technicians aren't that bright. Want a quick turnaround. Obviously those people that want to tune their car and break something only have themselves to blame if they get rumbled on a warranty inspection after they have broken a DSG gear box etc. I would never advice to mess with the engine management. Unlocking menu features built into the car is something else to using VCDS tools to tune the engines behaviour.

Reactions: Napmasterflash

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018

That's good to know and eases a few side thoughts, still it wouldn't hurt them to stick a user config button in the centre console that can be user programmable. One press to turn multiple options off, then for those few who don't want or need some of this stuff it's very easy to switch. My ol' bimmer had a few buttons for this sort of stuff and no issues. I think it's having to interact with infotainment sub menu's constantly that gets me, more of a bug bear for the AC as I do change it on the fly quite a lot.

Personally I don't drive off road neither will I ever use the likes of ACC, limiter is my main go to.. A recent Kia I drove was a lot better than the Astra in terms of safety tech. I'm still waiting on my Cupra, test driven a few though but as I automatically switched half of this stuff off I've yet to experiment with just jumping in and driving. The demo car did reset lane assist every time you drove it though..

@Tell

I believe as part of a service the system logs are automatically uploaded to BMW HQ.. The service engineers don't need to be savvy..

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise