Terminating Formentor.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Formentor doesn't have limiter. It's ACC or nothing.

I got car with higher ground clearance to go to places, that standard cars can't go. So definitely expected "off road" ability.

Last edited:

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Well we didn't fix it for Agnes.😂

It was the undertaking issue that wound Agnes up (M25) and fumbling lane assist off at the start of each drive (that can be fixed)... forgetting the long grass or passing cars when reversing. I don't use ACC myself drive by the speed limits and traffic conditions (get cramp if the foot isn't doing anything)... The old manual method but aided with TSR with beeps if speeding and speed camera areas. Although with TSR you dont really need speed camera warnings unless you intend to speed.

Dealers dont go looking for mods, technicians aren't that bright. Want a quick turnaround. Obviously those people that want to tune their car and break something only have themselves to blame if they get rumbled on a warranty inspection after they have broken a DSG gear box etc. I would never advice to mess with the engine management. Unlocking menu features built into the car is something else to using VCDS tools to tune the engines behaviour.
I got accused on pistonheads.com of modifying the car and breaking my insurance T&C. Never had to do this before, other cars were ok from factory.

Tell

Staff member
I believe as part of a service the system logs are automatically uploaded to BMW HQ.. The service engineers don't need to be savvy..

But it isn't a BMW, it's a VAG car with ropey systems. SFD protects the modules now on a token basis which is what you are talking about, its the unprotected modules that aren't protected and those are the ones that can be modified since they are not locked down (2020- development). It is that which VAG is licensing to the likes of Obdeleven and others for use, 4th quarter. Then VAG will know which system users of these devices will have been in and what changes were carried out.

Obviously if you dont own the car and don't accept that you might effect any warranty or good will that you have, then you shouldn't tinker. A life of detailing for them and discussion on polishing methods etc 😉. The Leon 4 Obdeleven thread they are already changing the steering wheels... hands on guys. Suspect they are fully owned cars or just big risk takers.

SFD token method attached.

Attachments

• EN_SFD-Manual_for_UMB.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
Reactions: Firaxis

Tell

Staff member
I got accused on pistonheads.com of modifying the car and breaking my insurance T&C. Never had to do this before, other cars were ok from factory.
It's a regular rant by the detailing brigade. People pop up on coding threads saying you really shouldn't be doing it.... probably because they don't know how to do it.

Only three that I really use the results of.

A. Neutralise SS in a pre 2020 Vag model since its fundamentally dangerous in roundabout system in London with a DSG, although people do use the nervous tick method of twitching the steering wheel to keep the engine running... they will probably still be doing that when they go EV or just remember to push the button. Old dogs, new tricks. First busy outer London roundabout, after the engine warmed up and it would get me if I had forgotten. Now I'm not troubled by it, permanently off (363 days a year), good for the battery.

B. Mirrors in on lock. Brought out a menu to allow mirrors in on lock. Seat's own Kessy method 2016-18 required you to hold the button for 3 seconds to achieve this after locking (You would stand with bags rattling on the body work for 3 seconds to perfect Seats unique way of locking in the car on the Kessy button). They relented and put that menu in on all Seat models 2018-, including Cupra... it was always there a VCDS suppressed menu. All other VAG cars have that but Seat wanted to be different on Kessy implementation... one of the Vag options in VCDS. Mib2 has many suppressed menus, Mib3 will be the same.

C. Opened up the infotainment developers menu, has it's uses.

Pre 2020 lane assist stays off after each restart so that's not an issue for me. SS would be unless that's better perfected in a DSG now. Wouldn't be effected by ACC undertaking issue since I don't use it.

May 2, 2021
Gone wild and crazy and got myself a OBDeleven (thanks for offer Agnes but for not masses of cash it’s a good long term investment I think).
I only want to turn off the lane assist, not bothered about anything else at the moment.
For a newbie. Is there anything here that should worry me and is there somewhere to look up what all these codes mean?
I only had a quick look, ignition on and bonnet closed. Haven’t touched anything yet lol
Thanks all
161ec7890966875750fa379ad09a078d.jpg

a25581dc68fe512198a01ac009701662.jpg

292d01fdbd44b41a4a82849e0c81cdc4.jpg

ae39905ee0db75a60408b39ba800ea09.jpg

e525352aa6b7bfd0e9c9a28d9a6f40e9.jpg

90505ad7c0985ce4b888a7a43b5ebbc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
Gone wild and crazy and got myself a OBDeleven (thanks for offer Agnes but for not masses of cash it’s a good long term investment I think).
I only want to turn off the lane assist, not bothered about anything else at the moment.
For a newbie. Is there anything here that should worry me and is there somewhere to look up what all these codes mean?
I only had a quick look, ignition on and bonnet closed. Haven’t touched anything yet lol
Thanks all
161ec7890966875750fa379ad09a078d.jpg

a25581dc68fe512198a01ac009701662.jpg

292d01fdbd44b41a4a82849e0c81cdc4.jpg

ae39905ee0db75a60408b39ba800ea09.jpg

e525352aa6b7bfd0e9c9a28d9a6f40e9.jpg

90505ad7c0985ce4b888a7a43b5ebbc3.jpg

If you tap on the code where the G is for Google it tells you what it is or suppose to, you can Ggogle the fault codes. The intermittent codes are what they say... generally not a problem since they go away again. Gateway bus ones I get a fair few of them. Think that connected for me with the car locked with the door open, driving with the door not slammed fully when the codriver has not shut it correctly.

The ones to worry about are the non intermittent ones which are still there after you clear them although if it's something that you know about and taking it to the dealer, don't clear it so they can see it. You get a frequency count which gives you an idea.

Dealers are suppose to check them and clear them at service or at delivery. They dont, least two of mine didnt. Arrived with deliver faults, heated wing mirror not plugged in all the way at build. I tend to clear them if not severe and then keep an eye on them. If going for a service I leave them and check whether they have cleared them. If not I clear them after. The mirror one I went to the dealer and told them the heated mirror wasn't working and I knew from the error code. It was Autumn and I hadn't had the chance to use the heated mirrors. Where they hadn't checked the fault codes in the delivery inspection.

Only one I've seen that was mechanical in nature about a sensor. I cleared it. Never reappeared. You get use to the intermittent ones, for me all the intermittent gateway ones. Wet front assist can also trigger a code and low remote control battery. The latter in the early Ateca's doesn't flash up on the screen but the scan tells you which remote you need to change the battery in.

If the car is working OK you can probably clear all those and then watch as they reappear. My method.

May 2, 2021
Thanks Tell. Appreciated as always.
Car is working ok. Haven’t had any issues since the software update so maybe some of the above are left over from before then.
I’ll have a Google tomorrow and a code clear up. Start afresh and keep an eye on things.

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
No, I can't stop using ACC and there's no way to make is standard, non adaptive one. I leased a car with cruise. If I wanted one without it, I would be driving Abarth 595, which doesn't have it.

Audi dealer still waiting for purchase price from VWFS. Got the update yesterday. I may go to the dealership tomorrow, to see if they did any work on A6 and check it out again.
So you want cruise control, but your not happy when it does what its supposed to do?

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I want to go back to standard cruise. I was not aware that adaptive is such a pain and not compatible with my driving style.

I don't want to change my driving style, because technology tells me to.

Tell

Staff member
I want to go back to standard cruise. I was not aware that adaptive is such a pain and not compatible with my driving style.

I don't want to change my driving style, because technology tells me to.
Doesn't want the adaptive bit of keeping up with traffic.

The first version of VAG ACC just used the front assist radar. I believe the side movement stuff is done with the Bosch camera that does TSR / Lane Assist (multi purpose camera) so they use image processing to do this. The VCDS coding toggles that bit out of ACC.

If nobody points out a video with a side radar on it... it's the Bosch system on the link above. Clever stuff. The next generation of the high resolution camera and software around it.

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
Obviously if you dont own the car and don't accept that you might effect any warranty or good will that you have, then you shouldn't tinker. A life of detailing for them and discussion on polishing methods etc 😉. The Leon 4 Obdeleven thread they are already changing the steering wheels... hands on guys. Suspect they are fully owned cars or just big risk takers.

SFD token method attached.

Well that was my point really, anyway my Formenter build got delayed so I ended up walking out with a Leon instead. I think it was a bit much a do about nothing in my case, I've not noticed lane assist so far and it does have a limiter, I've not read the entire manual yet but initially it doesn't make very clear how to use it. There's a circle with a car inside it on the steering wheel, this brings up options on the dash from there you can scroll down and select the limiter. Then you press the cruise control button and set the speed. Hmm..

The biggest issues I've had so far is the dash pings up an eco pro tip every now and again (whether is sport or cupra mode) which completely hides your MPH.. That is pretty silly, is there any way to switch off those rather annoying messages? I went into vehicles settings and disabled all notifications but it kept popping up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 131219

Well that was my point really, anyway my Formenter build got delayed so I ended up walking out with a Leon instead. I think it was a bit much a do about nothing in my case, I've not noticed lane assist so far and it does have a limiter, I've not read the entire manual yet but initially it doesn't make very clear how to use it. There's a circle with a car inside it on the steering wheel, this brings up options on the dash from there you can scroll down and select the limiter. Then you press the cruise control button and set the speed. Hmm..

The biggest issues I've had so far is the dash pings up an eco pro tip every now and again (whether is sport or cupra mode) which completely hides your MPH.. That is pretty silly, is there any way to switch off those rather annoying messages? I went into vehicles settings and disabled all notifications but it kept popping up.
Yes, the eco tips can be switched off, and they’ll stay off, unlike stop/start.

Reactions: Firaxis

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Just to update, that there's no update. Audi dealer went quiet. Either didn't get quote from VWFS at all or decided not to bother with transaction. Skoda dealer never called back after chasing. Both cars still showing online for sale.

Since I'm going to pay another instalment in next few days, don't see a point in terminating now. Also, removing private plate would take another couple of weeks. So, I will be stuck with the car. Summer is ending soon and it will be workhorse for bad weather from November onwards. I'm driving convertible on most days now. Then getting new one end of September, so will be getting to know it.

Maybe VWFS doesn't really want anyone to part exchange their car and just stalling, who knows.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Stalling I reckon. I haven’t been able to get through on the phone and I keep “failing” the security checks via email despite on the 7 I’ve sent I’ve also asked for a call back. Perhaps I’ve forgotten my date of birth or postcode suddenly?
I don’t think they’ve implemented their working from home policy very well, either that or they’re all idiots. I can’t quite make my mind up which it is.
Very frustrating to say the least.
This is the last time I buy a new VW group vehicle that’s for sure. They won’t care, we’ve only had 6 previously

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I thought last year, that I will have to limit myself to used cars, because I couldn't see anything interesting brand new. Now, I'm sure of it, unless I will be able to find some brand new outdated car model. Not sure if there are such cars. And I will be done with leasing for the same reason, nothing to lease.

But in generał, VWFS deals were quite beneficial to me in past, I wasn't charged for excessive damage to wheels on last car, etc.
--------------------------------------------
Update: VWFS never gave purchase quote to the dealer, they provided them with early termination quote, not full purchase price. Car I was interested, sold in the meantime. Dealer said, they will get in touch, if they ever get the quoute and I can check their stock then.

Last edited:

Sly870

Jan 10, 2021
I thought last year, that I will have to limit myself to used cars, because I couldn't see anything interesting brand new. Now, I'm sure of it, unless I will be able to find some brand new outdated car model. Not sure if there are such cars. And I will be done with leasing for the same reason, nothing to lease.

But in generał, VWFS deals were quite beneficial to me in past, I wasn't charged for excessive damage to wheels on last car, etc.
--------------------------------------------
Update: VWFS never gave purchase quote to the dealer, they provided them with early termination quote, not full purchase price. Car I was interested, sold in the meantime. Dealer said, they will get in touch, if they ever get the quoute and I can check their stock then.
Did you manage to terminate your Cupra car in the end mate? I see your signature has "Rejected Cupra", just wondering how you did it?

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Yes. I rejected it via VWFS. Sent them email with word doc attached with all issues and said I want to reject it. It took about 2 weeks or so for someone to call me and agree rejection. It was at the end of November I think. Car was collected in December .

I think, I gave more details somewhere in the other thread.

Sooner you reject it, more money you will get back. Longer you keep it, you may not get any refund, just termination of contract.

I should have done it earlier, I just didn't know it will be so easy. But, I know, that some other people had a bit of a fight to reject it.

Happy driver of BMW, with no issues.

Reactions: Sly870

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yes. I rejected it via VWFS. Sent them email with word doc attached with all issues and said I want to reject it. It took about 2 weeks or so for someone to call me and agree rejection. It was at the end of November I think. Car was collected in December .

I think, I gave more details somewhere in the other thread.

Sooner you reject it, more money you will get back. Longer you keep it, you may not get any refund, just termination of contract.

I should have done it earlier, I just didn't know it will be so easy. But, I know, that some other people had a bit of a fight to reject it.

Happy driver of BMW, with no issues.
I had a Leon mk3 on lease with the 1.5 TSI engine. Loads of issues with it.

I traded it for an Audi A3 2.0l tdi. Through the preferential early termination. Had to get the dealer to buy it off me.

Wasn't too much of a headache though