OBD Modifications

Widil

Jul 5, 2021
Imagine it like that:
Travel assist is lvl 2 with capacitive steering wheel, acc and staying in the middle of the lane.
adaptative lane guidance is lvl 1 with acc, staying in the middle of the lane but without capacitive steering wheel. So you have to ever so slightly move the wheel or you get the warning every 10 seconds. This one is codable with a steering wheel, hence people putting a half empty bottle in the wheel to simulate a movement.

Reactions: riza

Zoidberg

Apr 20, 2021
Denmark
The problem with the Leon is that the steering wheel is not actually capacitive (or it's just working really badly), which makes travel assist more or less useless. Having the warning come up regularly is more of a distraction than a help :confused:

Widil

Jul 5, 2021
The problem with the Leon is that the steering wheel is not actually capacitive (or it's just working really badly), which makes travel assist more or less useless. Having the warning come up regularly is more of a distraction than a help :confused:
People on other forums say that with their hands on 2:30/3 o’clock and 9/9:30 have nearly no warning with a capacitive steering wheel.
have you tried that ?

Zoidberg

Apr 20, 2021
Denmark
Well, I finally cracked it. Turns out the capacitive steering wheel must be coded seperately for ACC and Lane Assist, I had only coded it for ACC. Setting "Klr" to "coded" in A5 did the trick and I can now drive for hours without a single warning, as long as I keep at least one hand on the wheel :D This is really a game changer and it transforms TA from an annoying gimick to a very useful feature.

I also coded Emergency Assist ("EA_variante_2") and that seems to work very well also. I haven't testet all the way to the end, in case it decides to call the emergency services, but it is definitely bringing the car to a controlled stop if I let go of the wheel for too long.

Reactions: Antera and scuj1
Well, I finally cracked it. Turns out the capacitive steering wheel must be coded seperately for ACC and Lane Assist, I had only coded it for ACC. Setting "Klr" to "coded" in A5 did the trick and I can now drive for hours without a single warning, as long as I keep at least one hand on the wheel :D This is really a game changer and it transforms TA from an annoying gimick to a very useful feature.

I also coded Emergency Assist ("EA_variante_2") and that seems to work very well also. I haven't testet all the way to the end, in case it decides to call the emergency services, but it is definitely bringing the car to a controlled stop if I let go of the wheel for too long.
So that means we can use ACC without capacitive steering?

Zoidberg

Apr 20, 2021
Denmark
Well, yes and no. ACC isn't dependent on a capacitive steering wheel, but if your car doesn't have ACC from the factory, other hardware and coding may be needed.

For the Travel Assist, capacitive steering wheel has two functions; for LA it keeps you between the lines without warnings to take over steering, for ACC, it keeps ACC active during longer stops (normally ACC disengages after approximately 15-20 seconds and you have to re-activate it by pressing the throttle or a button on the steering wheel).

Widil

Jul 5, 2021

Good job on finally coding it right ! enjoy your custom leon :)
If I find a capacitive steering wheel, I'll buy it and try to see if it works on manual gearbox leon 4

davidgballester

Sep 3, 2021
It would be awesome if the people who are gonna try installing the capacitive steering wheel could make a video of the DIY, for us simpler folk that have no idea how to actually do something like this hehe

Aug 5, 2021

I noticed that there must be different versions of steering wheels with travel assistants (it almost seems that travel assist does not necessarily have to be capacitive). In my case, TA works without any problems, but again and again with the message taking over the steering wheel ... the coding of "klr "In my case, this leads to the failure of emergency assist and travel assist ... so I suspect that there really must be differences

Aug 5, 2021
if someone finds a steering wheel with all functions (incl. capacitive) please contact me. or at least a part number. the part number which can be found at a previous ebay auction (5FA419091BF WVY) is not known to seat.

Widil

Jul 5, 2021
Well, yes and no. ACC isn't dependent on a capacitive steering wheel, but if your car doesn't have ACC from the factory, other hardware and coding may be needed.

For the Travel Assist, capacitive steering wheel has two functions; for LA it keeps you between the lines without warnings to take over steering, for ACC, it keeps ACC active during longer stops (normally ACC disengages after approximately 15-20 seconds and you have to re-activate it by pressing the throttle or a button on the steering wheel).
Do you remember the part number of your new wheel ?

Zoidberg

Apr 20, 2021
Denmark
I noticed that there must be different versions of steering wheels with travel assistants (it almost seems that travel assist does not necessarily have to be capacitive). In my case, TA works without any problems, but again and again with the message taking over the steering wheel ... the coding of "klr "In my case, this leads to the failure of emergency assist and travel assist ... so I suspect that there really must be differences
That's really interesting, I would have thought there would only be two versions. Is your steering wheel heated and what is your software version?

davidgballester

Sep 3, 2021
Zoidberg could you please share screenshots of your current obd configuration? With the recent changes you added I mean

Aug 5, 2021
That's really interesting, I would have thought there would only be two versions. Is your steering wheel heated and what is your software version?
hello, in my case it is so that I can activate the point capacativ and ta problem-free and it works, but then coding "klr" immediately leads to errors .... hence my assumption that there must be different versions. in my case heated steering wheel (which is, however, faulty) and software 1664.
In my case, the lower pins on the steering wheel are also missing, as can be seen on ebay with your number

Zoidberg

Apr 20, 2021
Denmark
Zoidberg could you please share screenshots of your current obd configuration? With the recent changes you added I mean
Here are my current settings, the ones in red are the ones I have changed. I have no idea what "HC_advanced_takeover_request" does, I coded it before "Klr" and it didn't seem to have an effect, so just left it like that.

Control unit A5:
a5_1.png
a5_2.png
a5_3.png

Control unit 13:
13_1.png
13_2.png
13_3.png
13_4.png

Reactions: BerkinAkdeniz

Zoidberg

Apr 20, 2021
Denmark
hello, in my case it is so that I can activate the point capacativ and ta problem-free and it works, but then coding "klr" immediately leads to errors .... hence my assumption that there must be different versions. in my case heated steering wheel (which is, however, faulty) and software 1664.
In my case, the lower pins on the steering wheel are also missing, as can be seen on ebay with your number
Right, seems like there are indeed different models. Maybe the capacitive steering wheel wasn't available in the MY2020 cars? I have seen a few videos on youtube that seems to indicate that the early versions didn't have that.

Zoidberg

Apr 20, 2021
Denmark
It would be awesome if the people who are gonna try installing the capacitive steering wheel could make a video of the DIY, for us simpler folk that have no idea how to actually do something like this hehe
I think it will be dificult to make a good video, because you are working behind the steering wheel, so not a lot of room. But basically the only dificult part is removing the airbag unit, and once you figure out the right sequence of steps, it's actually not that bad. To remove the airbag you just need to release two springs (marked below) with a flat screw driver. The only problem is, that with the steering wheel level, the springs are hidden between the steering wheel and the steering column.

So, my suggestion for the right sequence:

1. Turn wheel 90 degrees
2. Release one side of the airbag unit
3. Turn wheel 90 degrees, opposite direction
4. Release the other side of the airbag unit
5. Return steering wheel to neutral position
6. Remove negative pole from battery and wait a few minutes
7. Unplug airbag unit. IMPORTANT: you can release the airbag unit from the steering wheel with the battery connected, but do not remove the plug while the battery is live, as this may cause an error (I'm not a mechanic, just something I read while researching for myself)
8. Remove old steering wheel (M12 XZN tool required)
9. Install new steering wheel (M12 XZN tool required)
10. Install airbag unit
11. Hook up battery
12. Power on car, it may be necessary to restart the car again to reset errors.
13. Coding

steering_wheel_removal.jpg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.