OBD Modifications

Widil

Jul 5, 2021
Well, I'm happy to prove myself wrong, Travel Assist can indeed be coded with OBD11, if you have the necessary hardware. I picked up a new steering wheel with the TA button from a seller on eBay and after fitting it (which was a bit of a PITA), the coding part was surprisingly easy. I picked up a few clues on various forums, but was still surprised to pretty much nail it first try. I now have a fully working TA, including lane assist below 40mph and the extended assistant view with multi-lane traffic and road curves :D

Even with the capacitive steering wheel, I still get the "takeover steering" warning once in a while, but it's definitely not as often as before.

View attachment 26144 View attachment 26145

So the key piece of hardware for this to work is the capacitive steering wheel, without that you're getting nowhere. I'm not really sure what else is required, my car came with DSG, front assist, side assist and park assist from the factory and I'm assuming that at least front assist and maybe DSG is required for the full experience.

So for everyone else who might be interested, here are my settings:

Control unit 13, Adaptive cruise control:

View attachment 26147

Control unit A5, Driver assistance:

View attachment 26146 View attachment 26148
Congratulations on your modification !

could you give us the link to the seller of the steering wheel ?
I can’t seem to find one on eBay or maybe I’m using wrong terms for my search.

Zoidberg

Apr 20, 2021
Denmark
The seller is 4yourdrive (https://www.ebay.com/usr/4yourdrive?_trksid=p2047675.l2559), but looks like he only has the standard one now, maybe I got the last one. You could try writing him, looks like he has a lot of other steering wheels so maybe he can get more stock.

I found that a good tip for finding european carparts on eBay is searching in german, I found this one by searching for "Seat Leon KL lenkrad".

Reactions: Widil
Jul 26, 2021
@Zoidberg
Congratulations, this might be the best modification ever done on a MK4.
You write, that it fitting the stearing wheel was a PITA. What were the problems you faced? The airbag?

Zoidberg

Apr 20, 2021
Denmark
Thanks. Yeah, its a pretty cool mod. The system is not perfect, but it's definitely a great upgrade. Even without activating TA, I found that the lane assist is now much better and will actively keep me in the lane if I start to drift. Before it would just give me a warning and steering wheel vibration, but no correction.

Yes, removing the airbag was the main problem, but maybe I did it wrong. I read that you need to disconnect the battery to avoid issues with the airbag, but when you do that, you are not able to turn the steering wheel, to get to the clip that secures the airbag to the wheel. I ended up turning the wheel 90 degrees, disconnecting battery, undoing one side of the airbag, reconnecting battery and repeating for the other side, but maybe there is a better way?

Once the airbag is out, the rest of the job is a breeze, you just need an M12 XZN bit to remove the wheel.

After turning on the car for the first time, all the warning lamps fired up and I got warnings for pretty much all the safety systems, but after turning off the car and leaving it for a few minutes, everything was back to normal.

Reactions: Widil and mbw83

Widil

Jul 5, 2021
The seller is 4yourdrive (https://www.ebay.com/usr/4yourdrive?_trksid=p2047675.l2559), but looks like he only has the standard one now, maybe I got the last one. You could try writing him, looks like he has a lot of other steering wheels so maybe he can get more stock.

I found that a good tip for finding european carparts on eBay is searching in german, I found this one by searching for "Seat Leon KL lenkrad".
Well, I guess it was close to an one time offer. They dont have one anymore and dont intend to specifically search for one in the near future.

Anyway, having manual gearbox, I'm not so sure that the travel assist would work with the capacitive steering wheel.

However, it could still interest me for the lane assist system.
If you would kindly indulge in my request some time, I see that you've set lane assist to early, which for me is terrible on highway due to the "takeover control" warning every 10 seconds and having to slightly move the steering wheel.
Could you test it on an highway (so mostly a straight line) without using travel assist and tell me if you keep being reminded to takeover control of the vehicle or if it really helps alleviate those warnings ?

Zoidberg

Apr 20, 2021
Denmark
Well, the travel assist actually seem to overrule the setting for the lane assist. So if TA is active, the car is actively kept in the middle of the lane, if TA is off, lane assists only intervenes when you are about to leave your lane (and then you will get a warning to drive in the middle of the lane). But to sort of answer your question; with TA on, the lane assist behaves like it did before TA with the point of intervention set to early, and here I still get the warning on long straight motorway sections. It is not as frequent as before, but the capacitive steering wheel is definitely not perfect, you will need to jerk the wheel once in a while to make the warning go away. With TA off, if the road is completely straight, you can drive for a very long time with your hands off the wheel, because you only get the warning once the lane assists kicks in, so for long motorway journeys, I actually prefer to drive without TA.

Reactions: Widil

Widil

Jul 5, 2021
Well, the travel assist actually seem to overrule the setting for the lane assist. So if TA is active, the car is actively kept in the middle of the lane, if TA is off, lane assists only intervenes when you are about to leave your lane (and then you will get a warning to drive in the middle of the lane). But to sort of answer your question; with TA on, the lane assist behaves like it did before TA with the point of intervention set to early, and here I still get the warning on long straight motorway sections. It is not as frequent as before, but the capacitive steering wheel is definitely not perfect, you will need to jerk the wheel once in a while to make the warning go away. With TA off, if the road is completely straight, you can drive for a very long time with your hands off the wheel, because you only get the warning once the lane assists kicks in, so for long motorway journeys, I actually prefer to drive without TA.
Thanks a lot for your answers, it's giving me more insight into what I'd like to code with the car.
I'll try in the next few weeks to remove the "takeover" warning and let the car drive with lane assist early, even though I never let my hands off the wheel.

brandaopj

Jul 2, 2021
Portugal
its not possible do the modification without changing the steering wheel? The buttons cant be installed in the same wheel?

Deleted member 123864

its not possible do the modification without changing the steering wheel? The buttons cant be installed in the same wheel?
They're not buttons. They are sensors that tell the car whether or not you're holding the steering wheel.

Reactions: brandaopj

adrian001

Apr 19, 2016
Can you post a picture of the steering wheel. Just wondering if it is just the buttons that need changing or if the body of the wheel is different. Part number would be good if you have them. Do you have a heated steering wheel?

Last edited:

Zoidberg

Apr 20, 2021
Denmark
The body is pretty much the same. The new steering wheel has some extra connectors at the bottom, which I assume are for the capacitive sensors. I have the heated steering wheel, that would be the connector on the left.

wheel3.png

Parts number from the eBay listing, if that's of any use: 5FA419091BF WVY

I think you will have a better chance of finding a complete steering wheel, than just the button, and I'm also not sure that would work. I think someone on the OBD11 forums already tried coding this without the proper steering wheel and it didn't work.

Reactions: mbw83

Widil

Jul 5, 2021
The body is pretty much the same. The new steering wheel has some extra connectors at the bottom, which I assume are for the capacitive sensors. I have the heated steering wheel, that would be the connector on the left.

View attachment 26221
Parts number from the eBay listing, if that's of any use: 5FA419091BF WVY

I think you will have a better chance of finding a complete steering wheel, than just the button, and I'm also not sure that would work. I think someone on the OBD11 forums already tried coding this without the proper steering wheel and it didn't work.
I confirm, no capacitive steering wheel, no travel assist. That one is for sure. Remains the question if you also have to have a DSG gearbox.
if I can ever lay my hand on a capacitive wheel, I’ll give it a try as I have a manual gearbox

adrian001

Apr 19, 2016
Best guess is that the steering wheel body is a common part but the steering wheel loom is be different. So my non heated one will need to be swapped out and the wiring for the heated wheel installed as well. Un less in some markets TA is available with out heated steering. We need access to a parts catalogue to see how the wheel is assembled.

Jul 26, 2021
The new steering wheel has some extra connectors at the bottom, which I assume are for the capacitive sensors.
Which cables did you connect to these connectors? Have they already been present in your old steering wheel and were just not connected to anything?

Zoidberg

Apr 20, 2021
Denmark
Which cables did you connect to these connectors? Have they already been present in your old steering wheel and were just not connected to anything?

None, they are internally connected, I guess the capacitive sensor uses the same interface as the buttons. There are only two plugs that connects to the car, one for the buttons and one for the heating, so if you already have the heated steering wheel, it should be plug and play. If you don't have a heated steering wheel, I guess you can just leave that unplugged.

Reactions: mbw83

Widil

Jul 5, 2021
Hi,

even though I'm pondering buying a capacitive wheel, I had time to test some settings regarding travel assist with my Leon.

So activating capacitive wheel without one definitely doesn't work. It creates an error (as said in an other forum), though interesting enough, it seems the only thing necessary to really activate TA.

Indeed, I tried activating it with HC variant 0 > ACC error, HC variant 1 > ACC error (see more later about that), HC Variant 2 > TA Assist Error (see more later about that) with the TA icon appearing.
So it seems that even with manual gearbox, TA assist can be activated having the right hardware.

Now, I learned a few things trying HC variant 1 and 2 without activating the capacitive wheel:

HC variant 1: in fact, it makes the ACC behave like TA assist. I've set it at 30km/h to test > the ACC activated and also the line assist came up with early setting (automatic yellow lines) keeping the Leon in the middle of the road. So I guess it's the setting for the pre-TA system that were available on older VW group cars (maybe adaptative lane assist guidance or something like that)
To note that lane assist will not, normally, activate under 55-60km/h, so that's definitely TA-like.
HOWEVER, you still get the "please take control over the vehicle" every 10 seconds if you dont move the wheel (funny enough, if the vehicle has to correct trajectory, it will cancel the warning, so it's really a basic "move the wheel so we know you're in control" as even the lane assist system will shut down the warning).

HC variant 2: does not do anything at all different than default settings. ACC activates and lane assist begins at 55-60km/h and stays set to late (so you bounce from one side of lane to the other). Funny to note, it didn't take into account that I had disabled the "stay in the middle of lane" message and as far I've tested it, it didn't trigger the "takeover" warning.
It seems in line with the fact that everything went to green with HC variant 2 when Zoidberg installed the capacitive wheel on his car.

Now, there's one more thing I coded in hopes of removing the "please take control over the vehicle":
In long coding of unit A5, I disabled "HC advanced takeover request" > it had no influence on HC variant 0 and 1, I still got the warning.
On HC variant 2, the consequences are more complicated to comprehend. As said above, it seems it overruled my setting to disable the "stay in middle" message and did not activate the "takeover" warning. So it may, and I say may, be able to get rid of the warning for people with capacitive wheel. Again, it's just a BIG speculation on my part.

That's it.

Anyway, the end results of all this is that I cannot, and maybe forever, find a modification to remove the fateful "please take over control of the vehicle" warning although HC variant 1 leaves the door open to actually have travel assist without a capacitive steering wheel.
So if you guys got any idea, that would be welcome.

Widil

Jul 5, 2021
None, they are internally connected, I guess the capacitive sensor uses the same interface as the buttons. There are only two plugs that connects to the car, one for the buttons and one for the heating, so if you already have the heated steering wheel, it should be plug and play. If you don't have a heated steering wheel, I guess you can just leave that unplugged.
this is from a guy on an other forum who also installed the capacitive wheel, seems he can't get it to work if you have any idea to help him:
" I have build in the new steering wheel, but the TA button have no function yet...
Have anything an idea?
When I push the button for distance there i can see a minimal other view...
The other problem, I get the error message that the steering wheel heating is defective
Please help... "

Aug 5, 2021
this is from a guy on an other forum who also installed the capacitive wheel, seems he can't get it to work if you have any idea to help him:
" I have build in the new steering wheel, but the TA button have no function yet...
Have anything an idea?
When I push the button for distance there i can see a minimal other view...
The other problem, I get the error message that the steering wheel heating is defective
Please help... "
I have write this :(
can anyone tell me what exactly I have to code. or where to look exactly?
Thanks for your help :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.