Buying a Leon estate - advice please

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Need your help folks. My younger boy has had an Astra estate for so long it seems like forever. He uses it for his signwritting business so it has his collapsing ladder, paint pots, rolls of vinyl, etc, etc, all stuffed in the back. He needs the estate for the extra length to accommodate the ladder. It also gets used for the annual family holiday and other social functions. Being a 2007 reg it's basically just worn out and quite a lot of work has been done over the last 2 years to keep it running, time for it to be put out to pasture.

His available finances seem to suggest that a 2018 to 2020 Leon will probably be affordable and the Leon estate is one car he likes the look of - it will have to be an estate for the above reasons. For me, the fact that it's from the same stable as my Ibiza is also a plus in terms of me perhaps having to "fix" it from time to time and being able to use my VCDS with it.

Engine wise it needs to be a petrol as he spends a lot of time bumbling around the city and he doesn't want to have DPF problems, so he could have the 3 cylinder 1.0 litre (is that 110hp?) which is very similar to the 95 hp in my Ibiza ecotsi. However he wonders if, coming from the 1.6 Astra, it'll be too sluggish with all the stuff he carries about? The other option is the 1,4 or later 1.5. I don't know these engines - although I appreciate they are basically 4 cylinder variants of the 3 cylinder in mine - but have read a number of reports of driveablity problems. I've read that they can suffer uncontrollable surging in revs when cold but also hesitation on acceleration even when hot. I believe these problems are mostly with the 1.5? By the way, is the 1.5 an ACT engine? and does anyone know if the ACT is reliable or does it suffer problems? Info on the 1.4 is also very welcome as we'd consider a 1.4 if it was a good one.

We'd be very grateful for any info, about any aspect of the vehicle, that forum members can give and thank anyone for any info they can give.

By the way, I found I could get a full size spare into the Ibiza's boot (mine's an estate). Can you get a full size spare into the space in the Leon estate?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Can't help on the petrol engine apart from to say there was also an ACT version of the 1.4.
I have a full size 17" wheel with 225/45 winter tyre in my ST boot. With the boot floor in the lowest height the floor slightly rests on the tyre. I imaging a tyre with less rim protection would clear.
The ST has a nice big boot upto the window line - but not much extra above the parcel shelf.
If you go for a <2018 you save some money on road tax.

Reactions: Crossthreaded

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
Need your help folks. My younger boy has had an Astra estate for so long it seems like forever. He uses it for his signwritting business so it has his collapsing ladder, paint pots, rolls of vinyl, etc, etc, all stuffed in the back. He needs the estate for the extra length to accommodate the ladder. It also gets used for the annual family holiday and other social functions. Being a 2007 reg it's basically just worn out and quite a lot of work has been done over the last 2 years to keep it running, time for it to be put out to pasture.

His available finances seem to suggest that a 2018 to 2020 Leon will probably be affordable and the Leon estate is one car he likes the look of - it will have to be an estate for the above reasons. For me, the fact that it's from the same stable as my Ibiza is also a plus in terms of me perhaps having to "fix" it from time to time and being able to use my VCDS with it.

Engine wise it needs to be a petrol as he spends a lot of time bumbling around the city and he doesn't want to have DPF problems, so he could have the 3 cylinder 1.0 litre (is that 110hp?) which is very similar to the 95 hp in my Ibiza ecotsi. However he wonders if, coming from the 1.6 Astra, it'll be too sluggish with all the stuff he carries about? The other option is the 1,4 or later 1.5. I don't know these engines - although I appreciate they are basically 4 cylinder variants of the 3 cylinder in mine - but have read a number of reports of driveablity problems. I've read that they can suffer uncontrollable surging in revs when cold but also hesitation on acceleration even when hot. I believe these problems are mostly with the 1.5? By the way, is the 1.5 an ACT engine? and does anyone know if the ACT is reliable or does it suffer problems? Info on the 1.4 is also very welcome as we'd consider a 1.4 if it was a good one.

We'd be very grateful for any info, about any aspect of the vehicle, that forum members can give and thank anyone for any info they can give.

By the way, I found I could get a full size spare into the Ibiza's boot (mine's an estate). Can you get a full size spare into the space in the Leon estate?

I can't comment on some of the points you've raised, but I currently have a 2015 Leon Estate 1.2 TSI DSG (16v 110bhp) that I'm using as a stop-gap whilst my 2018 Estate project is going on.

Whilst it's a 4 cylinder 16v, the 110bhp engine exceeded my expectations, and has enough power to get about. I've covered 5,000 miles in mine in 10 weeks and I actually enjoy driving it. It's one of those engines that only accelerates at one rate. No matter if you're gentle or heavy on the throttle it doesn't really make much difference. The downside to the lack of outright power/torque is it does like to change down gears when going up any sort of gradient.

I don't have any issues with surging or hesitation, but as you say this was on the larger capacity engines.

I'm 99% sure you can fit a full size spare in the boot of the estate. I haven't got one, but the space under the boot floor is huge.

Good luck in your search, I think the Leon estate is one of the nicest looking estates. Just make sure you get one with the Tech Pack if you can!

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Thank you both for that. Good to know about the spare especially. Also, hadn't thought about the road tax. My Ibiza is actually zero rated so I should have.

If anyone can add to this please do, especially about the engine hesitation "thing".

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Thank you both for that. Good to know about the spare especially. Also, hadn't thought about the road tax. My Ibiza is actually zero rated so I should have.

If anyone can add to this please do, especially about the engine hesitation "thing".
I have the 1.4ACT FR ST DSG bought new in December 2015 and it's excellent IMO. I've only done 30,000 miles though.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
We bought a 1.4 TSi ACT ST in 2018.
It's great. No issues with the ACT, in fact other than the indicator on the dash, you'd never know it was cutting in and out. 1.4s can suffer with a rattly wastegate actuator rod which is more annoying than a major problem. Vehicle tax is £165.
I'm pretty sure it was only the 1.5s that suffered the dreaded 'kangarooing'.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
We bought a 1.4 TSi ACT ST in 2018.
It's great. No issues with the ACT, in fact other than the indicator on the dash, you'd never know it was cutting in and out. 1.4s can suffer with a rattly wastegate actuator rod which is more annoying than a major problem. Vehicle tax is £165.
I'm pretty sure it was only the 1.5s that suffered the dreaded 'kangarooing'.
Thanks very much. I was wondering if it is only the 1.5 which had this problem. Even better is that he's really going to be stretching his budget to go for a 1.5, so now I can concentrate on seeking out a late model 1.4.

I've rung a number of SEAT dealers and a couple of VAG indy repair workshops about this. Not surprised that all said they have no idea what I'm talking about and are not aware of this being a problem!

Reactions: Seriously?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
If given the choice i would pick the 1.4 TSI over the 1.5 TSI. Especially if doing a lot of start stop city driving. The 1.5's are not nice to navigate at lower speeds

Would also opt DSG if funds available

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I've rung a number of SEAT dealers and a couple of VAG indy repair workshops about this. Not surprised that all said they have no idea what I'm talking about and are not aware of this being a problem!
Volkswagen Audi group and every car manufacturer going has never had a failure / common fault.

Nope. Never ever ever.

Every fault they see is the 1st time they have ever seen it

🤥

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
If given the choice i would pick the 1.4 TSI over the 1.5 TSI. Especially if doing a lot of start stop city driving. The 1.5's are not nice to navigate at lower speeds

Would also opt DSG if funds available
Thanks very much. Yes he does a lot of driving round in heavy city traffic although he lives in a wee town about half an hour's drive out of the city. So typically he'll do maybe 8 to 10 miles on the open road then city traffic to and from the job site, followed by back through the city and out on country roads back home. Definitely going to look for a late model 1.4

I'm a bit confused about the engines. I've looked at a few spec sheets I've turned up on line and the later 1.4 seems to come in two power outputs? One around 123 bhp and another around 148 bhp? There does seem to be another with 138 bhp but I think it was short lived and discontinued around 2014 so needn't concern us? What I don't know is whether all these engines are ACT? and if not then should we be looking particularly for one with the ACT or not? Of course I'm only interested in the belt cam EA211 engine and not the earlier one with the chain cam, but again I think the cars with the chain cam engine were produced well before the one's we're looking at - I know the chain cam engine has it's turbo in front of the engine and the Belt cam EA211 has the turbo down the back so easy to see which engine it is at a glance. However, anyone able to enlighten me about the ACT thing?

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Volkswagen Audi group and every car manufacturer going has never had a failure / common fault.

Nope. Never ever ever.

Every fault they see is the 1st time they have ever seen it

🤥
Ha, ha. Oh yes. But I won't tell you my tale about my turbo in case it gets the Fiat assist mechanic in trouble - he was just so nice. Suffice to say a new turbo, with modified wastegate actuator rod, was fitted under warranty and my two year old, approx 5,000 mile, one joined the heap of them in the corner!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Thanks very much. Yes he does a lot of driving round in heavy city traffic although he lives in a wee town about half an hour's drive out of the city. So typically he'll do maybe 8 to 10 miles on the open road then city traffic to and from the job site, followed by back through the city and out on country roads back home. Definitely going to look for a late model 1.4

I'm a bit confused about the engines. I've looked at a few spec sheets I've turned up on line and the later 1.4 seems to come in two power outputs? One around 123 bhp and another around 148 bhp? There does seem to be another with 138 bhp but I think it was short lived and discontinued around 2014 so needn't concern us? What I don't know is whether all these engines are ACT? and if not then should we be looking particularly for one with the ACT or not? Of course I'm only interested in the belt cam EA211 engine and not the earlier one with the chain cam, but again I think the cars with the chain cam engine were produced well before the one's we're looking at - I know the chain cam engine has it's turbo in front of the engine and the Belt cam EA211 has the turbo down the back so easy to see which engine it is at a glance. However, anyone able to enlighten me about the ACT thing?
Only the higher power 1.4 variant had ACT.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yeah the 125bhp did not have ACT.

I mean it may save a little fuel but a non ACT 1.4tsi would still not be a deal breaker.

The 1.5TSI came out on 68 plates so the latest 1.4's will be 18 plates and some 68plates

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Yeah the 125bhp did not have ACT.

I mean it may save a little fuel but a non ACT 1.4tsi would still not be a deal breaker.

The 1.5TSI came out on 68 plates so the latest 1.4's will be 18 plates and some 68plates
Thanks, and to you too Super V8. I'm actually even more attracted to the 125hp now knowing it doesn't have that added complication. I've become aware of one for sale, with a bit under average mileage and on a year 18 plate. It's a bit of a drive to the selling dealer but I think I'll give them a ring today and have a discussion.
PS with the sort of journeys he mostly does the ACT is probably not going to have a major effect anyway.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thanks, and to you too Super V8. I'm actually even more attracted to the 125hp now knowing it doesn't have that added complication. I've become aware of one for sale, with a bit under average mileage and on a year 18 plate. It's a bit of a drive to the selling dealer but I think I'll give them a ring today and have a discussion.
PS with the sort of journeys he mostly does the ACT is probably not going to have a major effect anyway.
Get it delivered.

No salesman idiots to deal with.

Don't like it then send it back within 7 days.

I bought a car off these lot last year. Will never step foot in a garage again

Check out this car on cinch https://www.cinch.co.uk/used-cars/seat/leon/details/6ffdabae-0c91-4955-9e48-bd9c5c593dc6

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
Also consider a Honda Civic Tourer estate, quite a bit bigger and cheaper than a Leon ST, also the petrol 1.8 is more reliable. Available in auto or manual.

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
Get it delivered.

No salesman idiots to deal with.

Don't like it then send it back within 7 days.

I bought a car off these lot last year. Will never step foot in a garage again

Check out this car on cinch https://www.cinch.co.uk/used-cars/seat/leon/details/6ffdabae-0c91-4955-9e48-bd9c5c593dc6
I can see the attraction, of a simple buy online process, and I guess you have 7 days to test and reject if you want to.

They are generally cheaper, but you only get 3 months warranty, whereas Seat Dealer approved cars get 24 month warranty and breakdown.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just a comment about the 1.5TSI engines, a friend of my wife has a 2018 VW Golf with the lower powered 1.5TSI 130PS and manual gearbox, her husband is a demanding guy as far as cars go and he reckons that that engine in his wife's car does not suffer at all, it was bought 2nd hand Motobility hand back I think. My mate thro West had a 2018 VW T-Roc 1.5TSI 150PS again with a manual gearbox, and he never had any issues with this kangerooing, I checked the S/W issue at one point, and it did not look like it had been updated since it left the factory - based on the various S/W issues that were are listed on some, maybe even this forum - although he seemed to have a habit of getting it serviced outside the VW Group service loop! He traded that one in for a 2019 DSG one as his wife had maybe knee "trouble" and no obvious issues with that next one, though if I'm correct, DSG masks these engine running issues.

I'm just posting this to point out that some people seem to be avoiding these much talked about 1.5TSI issues, I'd be quite annoyed if I ended up with one that kangerooed though! I thought that VW Group talked these issues away - but maybe the engines were not listening.

I thought that Cinch were heading for big doo doo due to the market not responding fully to this change in car buying, though I might be wrong and it is another same type of operation that is heading for trouble.

The main dealer car sales industry has changed a lot away from just new sales, approved used cars and servicing, to new sales, car auctions, online used car providers, approved used cars and servicing so that they totally control the stock and pricing of their marques until the unit value is next to nothing - which is fair enough.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.