Infotainment restarts

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Anyone notice that the problem gets worse after an hour or so of driving, almost as if something is over heating in there ?

Still have problems from the get go, but it seems to be worse later in the drive.
Being on a road trip for the last 10 days, this morning , my return home day, I started the car after having it parked for a couple of days and it happened, parking assist, sensors and infotainment sound were all out of order, hadn't happened in some time and elected to happen today on my 4 hour trip back home. Well, I tried rebooting the infotainment, nothing happened, I shut off the car for a few minutes, as this did the trick previously, nothing happened, so I couldn't wait the whole day and I was on my way back, no radio, no sound at all so me and the engine and road noise (thankfully the engine noise is almost non existent), stopped to gas up, started up again still no sound and no parking assistance. Anyhow, I got home after 4 hours listening and talking to my self, parked got all my stuff to my house , spent a few more minutes inhouse before going out to grab a bite to eat, started up the car and ALL was back to normal, sound, parking assist etc. All it needed was a few extra minutes to reset, now I remember when the same happened in the past it all went back to normal after a restart but I also remember the car been stopped, out of coincidence, for more than 10-15 minutes. Seems it needs some time before restarting to have the systems working again.
Well, as said above, on my trip I was nearly 3 hours into my journey before everything crashed out. Didn't get this on 1896 when travelling twice 3 to 4 hours in September last year. I'm still in Devon and will return home this coming Friday. This will be a 4 to 6 hour journey with a stop on the way (M5 on a Friday is not the best time to travel!) Can't say I'm looking forward to it!

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
This morning I had no sound on the infotainment but had everything else working, parking assist etc, stopped for a coffee 5 minutes, started it up and everything was working again! Its the first time it happened 2 days in a row after being parked all night and first time that only the infotainment sound was off, I'm still on 1896 from factory.

Sep 16, 2019
Not only am I getting the common "infotainment reboot" issue about 5 or 6 times a week, nearly always within 30 seconds of starting the car, but on Friday afternoon the infotainment system decided that it wanted to lose all of my radio presets, all of the shortcuts along the bottom of the screen and turn the proximity sensor back on (which I turn off because I would rather not have to wave my hand in front of the screen to see the description of each button).

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Not only am I getting the common "infotainment reboot" issue about 5 or 6 times a week, nearly always within 30 seconds of starting the car, but on Friday afternoon the infotainment system decided that it wanted to lose all of my radio presets, all of the shortcuts along the bottom of the screen and turn the proximity sensor back on (which I turn off because I would rather not have to wave my hand in front of the screen to see the description of each button).
Are you logged in as Primary User via Cupra Connect?

Sep 16, 2019
Are you logged in as Primary User via Cupra Connect?
Yes, that's the first thing I checked as soon as I started the car and noticed my radio was just playing static because it had forgotten my favourites. I only have one user set up and the guest account.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
I have the Cupra Connect disabled and use only the Guest log in, that happened because I had an OTA update few months back, I think in September, and everything got screwed up and couldn't be fixed so the dealer rebooted the whole system and had me logged in since as a Guest. Just now contacted my Cupra Service manager, explained what happened in the last 2 days and he said that an update is needed, so I'm waiting their call for the first available date to book. From his words it may take a full day, depending on how busy the whole Cupra system is, as the downloading speed depends on it. Depending on when the downloading starts it may even take an overnight stay of my car as it should not be disconnected until it is fully updated.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Reporting back from our trip to Devon; I had no issues whatsoever during the week there, car wise that is, the weather wasn't so good though!
Anyway, no issues until getting towards Bristol on the M5 a couple of speaker pops, a moment later 2 more pops and then SOS emergency signal pops up! Cancelled by making the call and pressing the cancel button.
Heading out of Bristol a few miles past the a RAC lookout station (I'm sure many of you guys must know it) I had the full system crash, dash and infotainment, ACC stayed on as before, lost privacy and primary user! Exactly the same as the journey down last week (see earlier post).
We stopped at Gloucester services for a break and walk the pooch. Half an hour later restarted the car and everything back to normal. No further issues except for speaker pops somewhere near getting on to the M42.

So, 2 full system crashes a week apart in exactly the same place on the M5. Surely can't be a coincidence?

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Reporting back from our trip to Devon; I had no issues whatsoever during the week there, car wise that is, the weather wasn't so good though!
Anyway, no issues until getting towards Bristol on the M5 a couple of speaker pops, a moment later 2 more pops and then SOS emergency signal pops up! Cancelled by making the call and pressing the cancel button.
Heading out of Bristol a few miles past the a RAC lookout station (I'm sure many of you guys must know it) I had the full system crash, dash and infotainment, ACC stayed on as before, lost privacy and primary user! Exactly the same as the journey down last week (see earlier post).
We stopped at Gloucester services for a break and walk the pooch. Half an hour later restarted the car and everything back to normal. No further issues except for speaker pops somewhere near getting on to the M42.

So, 2 full system crashes a week apart in exactly the same place on the M5. Surely can't be a coincidence?
Bristol was the WORST place to be with my Leon before I got the latest updates. Guarenteed SOS errors and GPS putting me 5-10 miles away (it had me driving north up the middle of the esturary at one point when I was heading south on the M5 :D ). Don't know what it is about that area (must be flicking between 4g and 5g a lot), but it's definitely the place to test out if your system has a fault.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Must be the gps/internet signal at those loctions, it happened to me in the summer when going through mountains where the signal was very poor or coming and going, however not the full crash (that never hppened to me) just the pops and the SOS msg. Sorted itself when the signal was again good or at next start. But I noticed it happened at the same spots! Since abolishing the primary user and disabled Cupra Connect no more pops and SOSs, my guess is that since I've disabled Cupra Connect this SOS thing got cancelled all together.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Bristol was the WORST place to be with my Leon before I got the latest updates. Guarenteed SOS errors and GPS putting me 5-10 miles away (it had me driving north up the middle of the esturary at one point when I was heading south on the M5 :D ). Don't know what it is about that area (must be flicking between 4g and 5g a lot), but it's definitely the place to test out if your system has a fault.
I've had no GPS issues at all since moving off of 1806 and really thought the SOS errors had gone away. Never had one when on 1896 at all, I used to get them every time I ventured near Manchester airport before that. However, I'm now on 1899 and it appears to be retrograde step!

Last edited:

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
It's all to do with Glastonbury Hill, lot's of weird things go an around there, UFO's, Ley lines... you name it. :)

Reactions: Alex667

ozzrahog

Jun 24, 2018

I get the same issues on the entry to the Tyne tunnel southbound and at my parents it is always slow to load. There is definitely a geographical element to it.

Totally **** car tbh

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I'm getting the frequent infotainment restarts every couple of trips, which is annoying but more frustrating is I'm also getting SOS system and Travel Assist system failures. These pop up and ping, but after a few minutes quietly disappear and then re-appear later, several times a trip. Just these two, nothing else and I can't see how they're connected.

Anyone else getting this additional joy to the restarts?

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Last week I had a new one, after some short stops and starts, a msg regarding malfunction of the transmission popped up and a subsequent msg to immediately visit a service station. As usual I ignored it as I didn't feel anything wrong with the car while driving and at the next start it disappeared, not to be seen again thus far.

Feb 16, 2023
I've experienced infotainment restarts a few times in the last two months, which I can live with. However, in the last two days, the infotainment system has restarted a couple of times while I was driving, which is annoying and frustrating. What I did notice is that the infotainment system only restarts when my cell phone (iPhone) is visible on the display (as one of the options on the driver's screen on the right-hand side).

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Last week I had a new one, after some short stops and starts, a msg regarding malfunction of the transmission popped up and a subsequent msg to immediately visit a service station. As usual I ignored it as I didn't feel anything wrong with the car while driving and at the next start it disappeared, not to be seen again thus far.
My old Cupra 280 used to do that every now and then too, just switch off and on and gone. The first time it happened I got the dealer to check to see if a fault was recorded and nothing found. I had the car near 8 years and it done it about 5 or 6 times total, never had a problem with the car though.

imran999

Mar 20, 2022
How do i check firmware version? Anyone had any luck with taking it to the dealer to get infotainment looked at?

Mines is constantly crashing every other car journey....usually within 30 seconds of setting off. Once it reboots then it usually stays fine for rest of journey.

Also how do you turn off voice recognition? if i have conversations in car, then the infotainment thinks i am requesting something. Every time.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.