• Evo Magazine are looking for a mint and (and ideally unmodified) Leon Cupra Sub8 to drive and photograph for a feature. Find out more here .
  • Hey Guest👍👎 We're looking for reviews of your local CUPRA or SEAT Dealership - it's quick and easy to do: Leave a review now

Tell

Full Member
Staff member
Moderator
BBC News - Nearly three million Teslas recalled in China over hidden door handles

China next year will need mechanical opening from the inside and out. Not sure whether the Cupra Raval falls into that category. Had a flip mechanism from the outside I seem to recall. Something to watch as Chinese manufactures fall into line. A motor pushing the handle out isn't mechanical. So with no power, battery disconnected you must be able to open the door from inside or out after an accident.
 
I'm fairly sure they're programmed to deploy during an accident, they do then have a cable to allow for mechanical opening

For example my A8 has soft close doors/easy open so you pull the handle slightly and it assists in opening. If you pull the handle all the way it pulls the bowden cable and manually unlatches the door
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tell
I'm fairly sure they're programmed to deploy during an accident, they do then have a cable to allow for mechanical opening

For example my A8 has soft close doors/easy open so you pull the handle slightly and it assists in opening. If you pull the handle all the way it pulls the bowden cable and manually unlatches the door
Probably Vag had a handle on it 😉. Tesla will put a sticker on some of theirs like you are stuck. 🫣 Nobody is going to read stickers in a car accident. They want quick release.
 
I haven't had that on my two Seats which I've had for 22 years or so (Altea, Ateca). Citreon ZX yes. You had to reach over and pull one of the back door catches up, someone did try to break in that side on the continent by snatching at the handle. Might have had a bearing.

Probably rests on the model for reliability. All these kept outside.

Window motors on the Altea changed a few times. Where I reckon Teslas windows down in an accident is that really going to work. Must be some fast moving motor to get the windows down as the car crumbles.
 
I haven't had that on my two Seats which I've had for 22 years or so (Altea, Ateca). Citreon ZX yes. You had to reach over and pull one of the back door catches up, someone did try to break in that side on the continent by snatching at the handle. Might have had a bearing.

Probably rests on the model for reliability. All these kept outside.

Window motors on the Altea changed a few times. Where I reckon Teslas windows down in an accident is that really going to work. Must be some fast moving motor to get the windows down as the car crumbles.
A4 8K, all 4 door actuators failed and replaced after 5 to 8 years, plus fuel door actuators replaced twice, that when it failed 3rd time I simply had it removed but not replaced.

(The door actuator, with the same parts code, was used by Porsche for Macan)

The 4 keyless entry sensors (hidden inside the door handles) were also replaced after ~10 years as they had failed the central locking system.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: Tell
Well people moan about the Chinese copying Western technology if they can improve it in the process we'd be happy. I see from the Chery wiki their first car was based on a VW and they used equipment they had bought from the Ford Dagenham production line. Now its a case of improving Teslas design feature or something like that once they found it was problematic.
 
Well people moan about the Chinese copying Western technology if they can improve it in the process we'd be happy. I see from the Chery wiki their first car was based on a VW and they used equipment they had bought from the Ford Dagenham production line. Now its a case of improving Teslas design feature or something like that once they found it was problematic.
Well, some people in a certain ethnic group are very much against Chinese cars......

My opinion is that, based on the vehicles themselves (i.e. without considering the sales and aftersales services), forget about the cheaper models under MGs and BYDs. Brands under Geely may be the best bet for now, while Leapmotors / Xpengs are well overpriced. No comments on Aion, Chery, Jaecoo/Omada, and GWM.
 
BBC News - Nearly three million Teslas recalled in China over hidden door handles

China next year will need mechanical opening from the inside and out. Not sure whether the Cupra Raval falls into that category. Had a flip mechanism from the outside I seem to recall. Something to watch as Chinese manufactures fall into line. A motor pushing the handle out isn't mechanical. So with no power, battery disconnected you must be able to open the door from inside or out after an accident.
I have test driven the Raval and confirm you can mechanically override the handle on the outside by pushing one end in of the handle the other end pops out. Like a seesaw. All cars these days appear to auto lock the doors once moving. They should unlock in a crash, that’s the theory thankfully never tried it!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tell
I have test driven the Raval and confirm you can mechanically override the handle on the outside by pushing one end in of the handle the other end pops out. Like a seesaw. All cars these days appear to auto lock the doors once moving. They should unlock in a crash, that’s the theory thankfully never tried it!
What @Syphon said in his review. I never tried rocking it when I went to see it. Basically accident and all central locking will be deactivated. That's the air bag deployment. In the Ateca the sensor is under the front seats as I recall. Best not to mess underneath there.

You'd expect the Vag handles have had good testing and the Chinese will be after them if not. They will be fitted on those Chinese built VWs so are probably ahead of the curve.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MarkHa