My DIY Short Shifter

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
its alot shorter and does feel more notchey and like it needs a bit more effort to change into second gear.
l've gone back to original recently as i think i prefer its smoothness better. but at least the option is always still there

dgmx5

Nov 7, 2004
If you look at the Forge guide on their website (for a Golf), it does suggest that as well as moving the cable over to the new pin you also need to adjust at the gearlever as well to avoid notchiness.

When you look at Pabs' guide and others comments on the install peeps don't seem to do that, and maybe explains why some people have found it to be notchy.

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
Yeah i was going to do that but decided not to bother and just put back to original place. May look into it again soon.

anyway, here is the drawing of the pin as requested.

cupraquickgearchangepinem5.jpg

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
OooO technical drawing. How much would these cost to get made up?. Any ideas?.

p1tse

Dec 1, 2004
i've got the forge one for my TT

i didn't have the car for long and then plumped for this as on my previous car the shortshifter was one of my favourite mods.

first fitting, it was set in the middle. i found third gear to be notchy when cold.

i've now had it changed to shortest setting, and finding second gear notchy

if i was any good at DIY, i wouldn't mind fitting back the oem shifter to see the difference in throw and if the shortshifter is causing the notchiness.

"When you change the adjustment on the quick shift quadrant it is sometimes necesary to adust the linkage cables in order to maintain a "slick or smooth" change. As you have experienced by the recent adjustment of the quichifter pin, if the linkage cables are not adjusted at the same time it can lead to a change in the feel of the gearbox."

how do you change linkage cable?

p1tse

Dec 1, 2004
i;ve had a quick look, but can't quite understand the linkage cable bit. (wish i was more DIY and hands on type)

would be interested to see how it feels with oem now

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
i made myself a pin but instead of the 3mm washer i machiened it as part of the pin. i made it a 15mm diameter and then filed two flats on it so a 13mm spanner now fits it so i can tighten it up. i shall be fitting it on Saturday afternoon all being well with the MOT tomorrow. my sizes are similar from what i can remember but ive only done the thread long enough so it will be flush with botton of the arm when its threaded in, so i won't be able to fit a nut to the botton. i was just going to use a bit of thread lock on the threads to stop it coming loose. not that it should.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Can someone just bloody make some of these pins :lol:
Others aren't blessed with lathes, mills or even the skills etc.. at home or work :whistle:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Yep, monetary rewards will be offered in return or sexual favours off D.K.
Whatever floats your boat :lol:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members