My DIY Short Shifter

the_prophet

Jul 28, 2006
its saves you £70 thats why. it doesn't bother me having something like fitted to my car, its pretty much the same as the home made cai and drestricted airbox i have fitted - i'd rather not spend £150 on a BMC so i did that instead. Its a bit DIY but its hardly a bodge or anything like that.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
As long as the shifter is still structually sound after drilling it then why not mod it. How much is a standard one from the dealer?. If it's cheap then you good always buy a spare to modify depending on price.

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
If something can be modified yourself then why not try it. I didnt think it was worth paying over €70 (plus shipping) without trying it myself.

There is no structural problems with drilling into the cast iron shifter.

Looks like there is a lot who would want this. I will see what i can do and what time i have.
If figured just creating the pin was neccesary but maybe the drilling and tapping the shifter after might not be a job for everyone.

Last edited:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I think i'm going to buy a second hand one and have a go myself, i can get access to a drill powered lathe so that's no problem, i've also got a full tap and die set i inherited from my Grandfather.

Cheers for the info, those pics really show what needs doing and how 'easy' it should be :)

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
If something can be modified yourself then why not try it. I didnt think it was worth paying over €70 (plus shipping) without trying it myself.

There is no structural problems with drilling into the cast iron shifter.

Looks like there is a lot who would want this. I will see what i can do and what time i have.
If figured just creating the pin was neccesary but maybe the drilling and tapping the shifter after might not be a job for everyone.

Does it have to be tapped?. Can a nut not be used on the other side or is there no clearence?. All we have to do is drill the holes ourselves and purchase a pin :)

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
That would work too I suppose

I tapped it to be sure but i suppose it doesnt really need to be.
Use a nylon locking nut underneath - there is enough clearance.

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
I like the sound of this! I have access to the tools needed but where would i find a second hand shifter?

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
Why get a second hand one?
As a test to see if you can do it properly? Maybe yes.
But just modify the original otherwise.

Oh and tapping the hole will make the shifter more rigid and make the bolt/pin part of the shifter so is best to do this if you can.

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
You didn't happen to make a drawing of the pin when you were turning it did you?

If not I'll draw it in Pro/E when I've got the shifter off to do this on my 1.6 and post the PDF here.

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
I took dimensions and made hand drawings of each section of the pin required to make it.
I'll try route it out and let you know

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
the one in the pictures?
Its the new created one. The original never left the shifter.
It was created using measurements based on the original.

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
i'll be taking mine off tomorrow night and making a pin on tuesday at work i think. an hours work and £150 to spend on something worthy of that sort of money. well done mate. i'll try and make a drawing of the pin and put it on here for everyone else who is able to make one.

dgmx5

Nov 7, 2004
As said, tapping the shifter would be the best solution.

Regards the comments re the PLI, of course if someone does a bad job that's a problem but what's proposed is not rocket science.

We have become too litigious as a society, and our fear to try things (and on the grand scale this isn't a risky job) and the lack of core engineering skills is actually inhibiting creativity in this country.

p1tse

Dec 1, 2004
nice little job there

is the gearchanges still as it was smooth/notchy etc.?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.