Forge Short Shifter Feedback?

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
Thinking of ordering a forge short shifter... for anybody who have got these please let me know what you think of them?

is it worth it and what do the gears feel like etc? many thanks! just overall whats your feedback on these?

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I driven a couple with these fitted and they feel quite notchy but I suppose you get used to it.

Last edited:

caveo

I hate mine , yes its shorter but a HELL of alot stiffer so i feel i gain nothing as i have to force it in every gear insted of a flick of the wrist .

b1nuzz

Oct 27, 2008
Bristol
I have a forge short shift and the are good. You do notice the difference however you quickly get used to it. It can make the gears feel a little more notchy if you shorten it to its shortest position. If it is too notchy, just back it off a little and you should lose most of the notches.

Go for it! :)

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I had a B&M quick shifter on my old 16v Clio and that was great but they dont seam to do one for the Leon's

b1nuzz

Oct 27, 2008
Bristol
I hate mine , yes its shorter but a HELL of alot stiffer so i feel i gain nothing as i have to force it in every gear insted of a flick of the wrist .

Mine is definitely not as bad as that sounds, mine is just the flick of the wrist.

caveo

Your wrist must be stronger than mine ..... if ya know what i mean lol

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
i, along with some fellow scn'ers have drilled our original shifters, and used either a bolt, or made a new pin, to replicate the forge shifter - my diy job is not notchy atall, nice short, crisp throw :D
DSC00493.jpg

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
cant seem to find the r32 one from vw speed?

so whats the difference with the r32 one anybody have one of these?

i DONT want a notchy feel as you have described with the forge one...so this has sort of swayed me away now a bit??

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
i really like the shortshift, as has been said it is defo quite notchy but i like it that way. the side shift i never noticed the differnce tbh. first thing in the morning it can be a pig sometimes (only on very cold mornings).

another thing you will notice is because its a shortshift, if you happen to look down at your gearstick when driving it always looks like its in neutral..hahah

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
where are you based jwfcms? you can see how my shift feels if your nearby (i doubt you are though!)

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
using a short shifter may make the change seem stiffer, due to having less mechanical advantage, but shouldnt feel any more notchy. that would be down to the gearbox and/or syncro.