Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
it looked amazing mate to be honest!!! do i want coilies now??hmmmmm lol
Definitely worth it.

I may need to raise front by 5 or 10mm.

is the ride harsh with them?
Depends on how they are setup. At the moment they are not harsh at all however on a bumpy road they dont give as much as shocks and springs.

Looks :drool::drool::drool: Maz! How does it feel with them fitted?? Oh and good skills :thumbup:
Great - need to tweak the setup though. I am going to do a writeup up when i get the energy had a hectic bank holiday.

Looks amazing mate :) The best colour too
Cheers mate

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
KW Variant 3 - Going low and slow for the moment
-----

Well the day finally arrived where the good old H&R cup kit got taken off and the KW Variant 3s got put on. The H&R cup kit served the car well however as the car developed more power and with the inclusion of the diff allowing me to go much faster into corners it was obvious that something needed to be changed.

I initially thought about getting uprated springs to lower the car by 20mm over the old ride height. This would have lessened the roll and improved the responsiveness of the turn in. I decided against this due to cost and started to consider other options like VF Engineering Drop Links and 034 Motorsport Strut Mounts. However life being the way it is, I had two problems happen at the same time. I got a hole in the turbo outlet pipe which made me investigate what the car was doing when I was going over bumps. Every time I would go on a bump road regardless of whether I was accelerating or rolling in neutral I was get a loud boost / gas release. Investigating further the right hand side of the car was a lot softer than the left hand side, it was obvious then, the right hand side shock internals had gone and it was releasing gas.

To my surprise when the suspension came off, AmD saw a big hole in the turbo outlet pipe. Now I am not sure what broke first however I think that the suspension was giving way a lot more than normal which was causing the pipe to rub on the driveshaft and eventually rubbed the silicone away. Also the fact the pancake pipe being a prototype and not fixed properly didn’t help.

Moving on, the car now has KW Variant3s. There were quite a few reasons why I chose this kit:

1) My car is not about being fast in a straight line. If you read through my thread its more about having the all round package that can compete with the more expensive cars. KW is a small giant that takes R&D to another level, the craftsmanship of the coilover and internals is one of the best out there.
2) I wanted something that I could adjust and tweak until I am happy. I love the uniqueness factor of this kit and the fact you can tailor it to an individual car is perfect. The fact being a quick TDI that is heavy nosed makes even more sense to get this kit.
3) Having a detailer’s brain the Inox steal is a massive plus especially in the UK. I love the fact that I can clean them and make them look like new.
4) AmD, more specifically Kenny and Ben just wouldn’t let me choose another kit as they felt no other kit would do the car justice.

The Test Drive
First thoughts when sitting in the car was the strange feeling especially when next to ford focuses and 4x4s, just so low! Setting off whilst trying to listen for boost leaks almost made me forget I had coilovers on. This is instantly made me think that the dampening levels were very similar to my H&Rs and on a smooth road where the change in camber and dips in the road are gradual…the dampening seemed almost identical. The differences start to become apparent when going a tad faster; the coilovers seem to let you know exactly what’s happening with the road. For those with a diff on cambered roads it gives you a lot of feedback and makes the car want to turn into tram line much more than usual. The KWs seem to calm this down almost reassuring you and the diff that there will be no nasty surprises ahead. Hitting the first roundabout the lack of body roll just amazed me and I am 100% sure that this has given my worn falkens a new lease of life as they can now have much more contact with the road. This wont stop me moving to Toyo’s however credit to Falken for producing a good tyre for the money.

The Motorway
The KW Variant 3s change their characteristics when you got faster as the rebound and compression changes and nicking what DOLBY said, like KoniFSDs. On cruising speed 60-70 mph the car shapes to every bump, dip, camber change the motorway has to offer. Whilst this is fantastic when you’re going somewhere in a hurry I can see this getting tiring after 2-3 hours. This is not to say the ride is very harsh because it isn’t. In fact being in lots of different Leons with all sorts of suspension kits its well up there with the best. Let’s not confuse the issue, they are not in the same league of a shock and spring setup!

The Ugly Roads
Britain seriously has to do something about the state of the roads! Going on some awful roads where the rebound and compression is tested to the max the KWs soak them up all giving reassuring thuds. When going of ‘deep’ man holes I noticed the car deals with these without crashing, it’ almost like the car is too stiff to fall into them. On sweeping bends on these ugly roads the car stays composed and doesn’t lose its line. My only concern at this stay is that the rear feel bouncy which upsets the balance. Willie has kindly warned me about this in another thread so I will try and adjust the rebound and bump to fix this issue.

Opinions so far
Please note I have not done any driving on A or B roads or pushing the car at all in anyway. All of the the above was normal every day driving. When I can push the car that’s when I will be at AmD tweaking the setup with Shaun+lads at AmD then some further tweaking with my best mates Slick.

Positives
+ Hardly no roll
+ feedback of what the road is doing
+ Reacts well to bumps and remains composed
+ Grip and ride height!

Negatives
- Bouncy at the rear
- Rebound and compression not setup for motorways.

Some Pictures
KW_V3_1.jpg

KW_V3_2.jpg

Variant3_1.jpg

Last edited:

BenO

Mar 9, 2008
East Yorkshire
Sounds like a really good kit, agree with you on the state of the roads, i dont think i've stopped moaning about road maintenance since fitting coilovers although im sure thats just a coincidence ha ha

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
They're just firm that's all - the only niggle I had was that some of the longer motorway undulations can feel a bit 'lurching' but get off the motorways and onto a good A or B road and it's a different car completely. How are you finding the topmounts for ragging around the back roads of Humberside Ben?

strugers1

i cant afford these kw v3 but i am looking into ap coilovers cos there a bit more in my budget...
i am also tempted by the idea of lsd before water moethenol:) got to see what my funds are like in january

strugers1

there doing an offer on ap coilies now matey:) i am going to phone them later about my car and ask for a deal on a quaife lsd

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
dpm performance are doing the Weitec HiConGT for £390, which is really good. I'm sure that weitec and kw are branches of the same company. Probably wrong tho.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Sounds good Maz. The car does have a nice stance to it now!
Alex
Cheers Alex!

very nice height, good report above too :clap:
Thanks - glad you like the report.

They're just firm that's all - the only niggle I had was that some of the longer motorway undulations can feel a bit 'lurching' but get off the motorways and onto a good A or B road and it's a different car completely. How are you finding the topmounts for ragging around the back roads of Humberside Ben?
Yea they are firm and I do think I will get used to them. Just need my replacement TOP and 1.8T pancake to arrive now ready for Saturday then I can give her some beans for the first time in 3 weeks.

there doing an offer on ap coilies now matey:) i am going to phone them later about my car and ask for a deal on a quaife lsd
I would do coilovers first before diff as its cheaper and you will notice a massive difference. Not saying there isnt a massive difference with the diff because its my favorite mod.

dpm performance are doing the Weitec HiConGT for £390, which is really good. I'm sure that weitec and kw are branches of the same company. Probably wrong tho.
Weitec, AP and KW are all under the same ownership yes.

Weitec are virtually identical to APs bar different spring stiffness however they are amazing value for money.

brad1

how come your changing the pancake?

The sfs one has a bracket which i dont think lines up with the oem bolt to screw it to, so this made it sag down more and rub on the driveshaft, the 1.8t pancake pipe is bigger than the sfs one and also will attatch to the oem bracket thus holding the holding the sfs pipe well away from the driveshaft ;)

BenO

Mar 9, 2008
East Yorkshire

Loving it! Although it has caught me out a few times where its gone round the corner too well if that makes sense. Think theres an imprint of the side of my face on the drivers window :lol: You can certainly tell the good roads from the bad with the topmounts but worth it.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Everything is Gelling Together
-----

My 1.8T pancake pipe arrived just in time yesterday to be fitted today at AmD Essex. As previously mentioned the outlet pipe had a 50p size hole caused by it rubbing on the drive shaft. SFS gave a top service and sent me out a replacement within a couple of days of me explaining the problem. I chose the 1.8T pipe as Brad1 fitted to great affect with his setup. Upon comparison of the SFS pancake and the 1.8T pancake , the 1.8T is roughly 20% bigger in size. The main benefit of the 1.8T pancake over the SFS pipe is that the exit can fit a 60mm hose which can then run 60mm all the way to the inlet of the intercooler. I am going to work with Anthony on improving the SFS design so we can all reap the benefits of an improved design. SFS have been really good so far so i am confident something can be done.

All in all, the new turbo outlet pipe has been adjusted well away from the driveshaft, the 20% bigger pancake and the bigger diameter hose from the pancake seems to have made a nice difference to the top end. I also believe that the twin cold air feed has helped the top end too, the car pulls like a train from 3-5k!

On the other hand, driving the car with Shaun@AmD whilst testing the suspension we think there is a flat spot earlier in the range. I believe this is caused by too much boost causing high EMP (exhaust manifold pressure). This is causing the turbo not to open its veins internally properly early down in the rev range. The map code will be sent back to the mapper for tweaking so more maps to come it seems. I will update you all on the developments.

Now the car has been back on the road properly for the first time in 3 weeks and as you can imagine I couldn't help but give her a quick blast down some country lanes. Level of grip is amazing with the coilovers and it just seems to get better with speed. I wont say anymore than that as I will do a comprehensive review when i have done more driving.

Here some pictures from today.

IMAGE_067.jpg

IMAGE_064.jpg

IMAGE_062.jpg

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise