Water leak above pedals

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
i have finally found where the water is getting in, above the accelarator pedal. next question is should the wiper panel (black plastic at bottom of screen) be sealed against bottom of screen somehow to stop water going between the screen and panel. the water may be going down there and through wiring block. i can see it running down inside from around that area and i know it had a pollen filter abit ago. help!!!

i have the problem of water dripping in through the gommet directly above the pedals which is where the line from the boost guage goes to the dump valve. Just needs sealing. Dont know if the grommet is in the same place on a leon as an ibiza but its located in the plenum chamber under the plastic trim your on about if so. Doing mine at weekend, just use sealant or something. As said the pollen filter is on the other side, on mine it is anyway

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
The (wiper) Scuttle panel is sealed to the windscreen. It has a plastic lip which pushes into a metal channel that runs across the bottom of screen.

Water from the screen runs through the scuttle panel and into a gutter either side. The water comes out of the gutters and runs out through drain holes in the body on either side. If the drain holes are blocked, the water will find another way out.

crimpdoc

Jun 3, 2008
So can the black plastic bit (scuttle panel) be removed? I have a similar problem, I need to get the whole pollen filter assembly out to reseal the bottom of it!! when I push down on the filter box you can hear the water squelching in the foam seal, why did seat use this crappy foam seal stuff?? Seems to cause more problems with water leak than anything else!! I've sealed the inner door plates already, If this aint where the water coming from I'm gona give up and buy some speedo's :headhurt:

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
water leak into footwell-drivers side

Hi, water is coming in past the foam seal where the wires come through the bulkhead drivers side and drips down under carpets, the seat dealer has advised me to lift the plastic up and put a bead of none setting sealant round where the foam seal sits and fasten it back down, letting it squeeze the excess out. then run my finger round it.
the plastic panel just pulls up after you have removed the pollen cover and wipers, then remove the plastic drainage that fit under the wiper panel. its only takes 10 minutes to get the lot apart, and then away you go. best of luck, i will attempt mine now i have some sealant.
:D

crimpdoc

Jun 3, 2008
Had a go at mine over the weekend, I couldn't get the wiper arms off!!! I tried removing the plastic panel, it looks like theres a channel were it fits to the bottom of the screen got half of it off enough to get in and apply some sealant, the plastic panel doesn't seem to fit back to the screen very well so I think I'm gona have to clean out the channel and stick it back when I get some more time. Hopefully this will work, I'll let you know after the next storm!!

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
I had this problem on my leon, it wasn't the plastic panel.
It was a seam between two metal panels on the bulkhead which was not sealed properly, took me weeks to find it but it's fixed now, Car has been bone dry since.
Do a search and you will see posts by me with more information.

Neil.

ChrisJ

Lemon
Feb 2, 2007
APD Vag - Near Holton Heath
Mine is being attacked on saturday! mine is also dripping on the black trim beside the gas peddle in the drivers footwell. I have been reliably informed that this is an 'electrical box' seal under the the scuttle which needs sorting out.

One thing which amazes me is that whenever i ring SEAT for parts to fix my leaks they say no no sir, this is not something we hear about everyday! Bolloux!! Although i have heard the audi's and VW's leak just as bad.

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
Mine is being attacked on saturday! mine is also dripping on the black trim beside the gas peddle in the drivers footwell. I have been reliably informed that this is an 'electrical box' seal under the the scuttle which needs sorting out.

One thing which amazes me is that whenever i ring SEAT for parts to fix my leaks they say no no sir, this is not something we hear about everyday! Bolloux!! Although i have heard the audi's and VW's leak just as bad.

I was told that too, I resealed the box and the car still leaked. It was leaking from a seam on the bulkhead.

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
waterleak by pedals

Neil, thanks for the post -am i looking inside to seal this seam or just view where its coming from or can i get to it under the bonnet, i have another car to run round in for a few days so i am goning to pull more bits out to find it! but any further info would be great,
thanks ,john

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
I had to strip the fuse box out and the lower part of the drivers side dash, there are also some bits you can strip under there also.
I also removed the a pillar trim, the seam which was leaking was at the very right just below the top of the dash.
I had someone outside with a watering can pouring water over the windscreen, it took a few mins for the water to start to get in. I traced it back up from the pedal area.
When I found the leak I used a heat gun to dry the area and sealed it with silicone.

Neil.

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
waterleak on driverside above pedals

Well thanks for the info, Neil
just to let you know after spending all weekend pulling bits apart the leak was on a seam that was never sealed on the bulk head. had to remove lower dash, fusebox, bulkhead fuse box and sound proofing up the top right corner. I could put a bit of water down the screen and it had ran through to inside before i could walk round the door to look!
I have taken a few pictures to help anyone else. I sealed it from under bonnet scuttle panel where after cleaning with a airline a 3mm hole appeared in the drain channel near bonnet cable, so its been there from new! thanks Seat.

Last edited:

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
Well thanks for the info, Neil
just to let you know after spending all weekend pulling bits apart the leak was on a seam that was never sealed on the bulk head. had to remove lower dash, fusebox, bulkhead fuse box and sound proofing up the top right corner. I could put a bit of water down the screen and it had ran through to inside before i could walk round the door to look!
I have taken a few pictures to help anyone else. I sealed it from under bonnet scuttle panel where after cleaning with a airline a 3mm hole appeared in the drain channel near bonnet cable, so its been there from new! thanks Seat.

Good stuff,

Little things like this are really annoying, get those pics up for all the other peeps :)

Neil.

helg.71

i had this problem when i had a golf tdi and it was the caseing around the pollen filter that had cracked and water was leaking in around the pedals

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
waterleak-drivers side

seatleonbulkheadhole.jpg
j
ust to help other members, the leak was on a seam on the bulkhead under the wiper panel, which required alot of parts being removed to identify the area. Until i used a airline to clear the water channel under the wipers i still could not see it.I have taken some photos to help if i can work out how to post them.

can anyone tell me how to load the photos, thanks

the bonnetcable is just above, and the gasket to the wiring cover to the right, hope this helps! must have leaked from day 1!

Last edited:

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
For those of you with waterleaks into drivers side above pedals, I removed the seats,centre console,carpets,sound deadening, fusebox, lower dash,bulkhead connection unit, and pedals just to find where it was coming in- so it was not for the faint hearted. I then used coloured water (water and a few drops of printer ink to colour) to help trace the source.
however if this is your problem area just remove wipers, scuttlepanel, and clean the area below with a airline if possible especially the waterchannel to where it drain into the wing. the hole you can see on the photo was missed the 1st time i looked due to dust/silt build up over it, but it would still cover the carpets each time it rained.
looking carefully may just save you pulling the inside apart like i did!

It did allow me to dry every bit out properly before putting it all back together, and now its dry and smells better!:D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise