Water leak above pedals

crimpdoc

Jun 3, 2008
water running down centre console????

Hi all, I thought I'd cracked this problem by resealing the pollen filter casing and the resealing the doors??
With the rain were have having at the minute I seem to have a damp passenger footwell again, last night when I got in the car noticed a hell of a lot of condensation, had a quick look this morning and could see water droplets on the centre tunnel in the passenger footwell which look like there coming from under the centre console somewhere between the heating outlet duct??
Drivers side is fine as is the rear footwells
Any Ideas??

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
I thought mine was fixed too, but no :censored:

The original problem with mine was the seam in the bulkhead, which I fixed and is still ok.

This time it was the plastic box where the electrical cables enter the car this time (under the scuttle), the rear of it had a gap of about 4mm where water could just flow in. The foam seal had rotted away.
I resealed it with the oem seal cord used for the door seals so hopefully it will be ok now.

Neil.

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
water leak!

Have you ensured the cover over the pollen filter is fitted correctly as its easy to fold part of it back when refitting it. this allows water straight into heater duct and would explain why its coming out where you say.

crimpdoc

Jun 3, 2008
Have you ensured the cover over the pollen filter is fitted correctly as its easy to fold part of it back when refitting it. this allows water straight into heater duct and would explain why its coming out where you say.

Yep I've checked the cover numerous times the plastic upstand is secure and I've made sure the rubber cover fit over the filter properly. The water isn't actually coming in throught he heater duct thats dry it appear to be next to it???:censored:

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
water leak

hi, have you removed the original foam seal round the pollen filter casing. I removed mine and silicon sealed it very neatly, its surprising how the panel is not flat. I sealed mine and realised it did not squash the sealant at the back so put a ruler across the panel to reveal it was not flat! the plastic filter housing required a bit of work as well as that was not flat either! that would allow water in and runs down the outside of the ducting.
good luck.

crimpdoc

Jun 3, 2008
I re-sealed my pollen filter housing but i didn't remove the old seal.
Noe I've finally got the wiper arms off last night - what a bitch they were!!! made a puller up in the end and another top tip is to poor boiling water over them when under tension of the puller!!
Hopefully, I'm gona try and take the scuttle panel (if it'll come off in one piece) later today and have a good look around under there, thanks for the replies...cris

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
first thing you need to check is that its draining.... if water isnt running out around the wheel arch the holes are blocked, and it will leak no matter what and soak everything that lives under the scuttle panel.

if it drains ok but you still have a leak then somethings amiss, but unsealed bulkheads would have leaked from day 1?

i have 8 wires running through my bonnet release grommet but no leaks as the water level doesnt build up

CapnAHAB

The picture on page 1, how do I get to that particular area? I need to go snorkelling in my footwells when its stopped raining..

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
water coming from pedal area

Hi, the picture i took was under the wipers, remove wipers and then plastic trim panel. i cleaned mine with a airline which revealed the hole.Seat have told me they think someone has tried to drill a hole there amongst other comments! take a close look and draw your own conclusion!!!! show they don't know what they are talking about. best of luck and let me know how you go on.

ChrisJ

Lemon
Feb 2, 2007
APD Vag - Near Holton Heath
Guys - the amount of leaks i have had to fix on mine i think really is a joke! I have probably had around 7 different leaks in mine over 2 years of ownership, just getting to the end of them now though......

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
Guys - the amount of leaks i have had to fix on mine i think really is a joke! I have probably had around 7 different leaks in mine over 2 years of ownership, just getting to the end of them now though......

I've had leaks from the 2 front door seals, bulkhead seam and the relay box under the scuttle, do golf's and octavias leak like this?

Really is a pita!

crimpdoc

Jun 3, 2008
Just keep swimming!!

:censored::censored::censored: Still leaking!!!! thought I'd solved the problem by removing the old seal and remoulding the panel filter housing to make it flat and then re siliconing it in place!!! But no, alarm bells should have rung the other day when the inside of the windscreen was frozen with all the condensation in the car. Pull down the panel under the glove box all the sound proofing was soaked. :censored::censored: Here we go again!!!! wipers off, scuttle panel off, etc, etc....................

ChrisJ

Lemon
Feb 2, 2007
APD Vag - Near Holton Heath
I know how you feel fella, it made me want to sell mine back last year when it was really bad, it was really niggling me.

As for the other car's doing it like golfs and fabia's etc. I have heard there all as bad as eachother, i even know of a passat that leaked!!

crimpdoc

Jun 3, 2008
ah ha found it I think

Right took out the the glove box and all the sound proofing, poured tonnes of water over the thing until I eventually found a water coming in, at first I thought this is going to be an easy fix as it looked like it was coming from a blind grommit, however looking under the scuttle panel revealed the grommit was about 2 inch's above any water on the vertical of the bulk head. Removed the grommit and hit it with some more water, water didn't get anywhere near this. I think the water is getting in through the bulk head, where the vertical meets the hozintal panel, slowly soaking through until it find the lowest point which in my case is a cut out on the inner bulkhead and then seeps through. Its only a drip which and it drips down onto the heater/blower unit and collects in recess in the moulding, its only when you drive or corner the water runs from here down onto the undertray and into the footwell making it impossible to locate!! Surely there must have been a recall or something, I'll try to take some pictures

dajackos

Mine was leaking above pedals and after 3 visits to the stealers turned out to be the bulk head not sealed

andicapped

this is becoming a :censored: joke.
i've resealed all the doors (seem to be fine)
i've resealed the electrical box underthe scuttle panel (seems to be fine)
i've put silicone where the little hole seems to be (see pic on first page by OP)

yesterday i got a mate round who pour loads of water and even got the hose pipe on it, no leak, nothing not a trickle.
go out this morning and it's :censored: soaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@][:@][:@][:@]

help me please guys, i'm really struggling with this, it's driving me mental. is there anyone with more pics that can help me out? or someone in the manchester area who wants to earn a bit of cash helping me sort this.

i'm getting desperate now :cry:

costa

Hi Andicapped, I have my Leon's scuttle etc. all stripped out at present and will be sealing like you. Just a few thoughts; Did you seall all round the electical box under the scuttle? Previous post said large gap at back.
I found a drilled hole on the inner part of the wing just above the drainage hole. Not sure if that is the culprit but sealed it anyway,
I have found what appears to be a large hole right in the bottom corner by the windscreen under the rubber trim. Again not sure if the problem but I'm sealing anyway.
Is the grommet for the bonnet pull OK?
Have you checked deep under the scuttle right to the back?

Generally mine looks OK under the scuttle panel but obviously it's not as I get a leak above the bonnet release lever in the car.
Please let me know how you get on as I am in the same situation. I know I thought it was a car but SEAT obviously think they are building colanders. I will let you know if I find anything else over the next couple of days but I am going to seal everything I can get at either with silicone, underseal or expanding foam.

andicapped

hi costa, thanks for the reply.

i've done all the things you mentioned, well aprt from the little hole up by the windscreen (i cant see anything there).

i did the electrical box a while ago so thats not my problem :(

i've been out this afternoon and just to see if it works i've use waterproof tape (not ideal but it's temporary) just to see if it works. if it stops the leak then i'll remove a peice at at time until the leak develops, hopefully that'll give me an idea of where the little hole is.

this hole must be tiny, i cant see anything wrong under the scuttle pannel.

keep me posted on how you get on and i'll let you know if this tape idea works

Andy

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.