Which Oil TFSI FR?

uzzy

Run In!
Aug 8, 2006
Stone, Staffordshire
Which oil type is manufacturer recommended, mine has used a little and I don't want to mix oil manufacturer if possible.

Also did anyone take their car in for a oil/filter change at 1000 miles? should the dealer have arranged a checkup at around this time?

SpareMan

Feb 8, 2006
Oil needs to meet VW standard 501.01 / 502.00 / 504.00
A fully synthetic oil such as Synta Gold is often recommended for high performance petrol enines on here

Oil change at 1000 miles?? A lot of manufacturers (not SEAT) recommend a fluid levels check after 1000 miles which you could do yourself (after all we all check our levels regularly anyway!!!), but certainly not an oil/ filter change

uzzy

Run In!
Aug 8, 2006
Stone, Staffordshire
Oil needs to meet VW standard 501.01 / 502.00 / 504.00
A fully synthetic oil such as Synta Gold is often recommended for high performance petrol enines on here

Oil change at 1000 miles?? A lot of manufacturers (not SEAT) recommend a fluid levels check after 1000 miles which you could do yourself (after all we all check our levels regularly anyway!!!), but certainly not an oil/ filter change

Thanks for the reply. So which oil will be in my TFSI engine at the moment? Which should I use for topup?

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
when i owned my VW mk4 gti the car was in for warranty work, the vw tech swabbed my oil dipstick why i asked?, foreman advised its to make sure the proper oil has and is being used, coz if not and i have engine failure VW will not replace under warranty.so always use what it says in the handbook.I was actualy checking to see if the FR range use long life oil, but not sure.

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
It should be on Castrol Longlife SLX 2 or 3.

All the 2.0T FSI engines would use this I would have thought until the first service when you'll have the option of continuing to use this per Longlife Servicing regime or change to another oil for annual servicing.

Oh a 1L bottle of the stuff is £15 for your info. VW Stealer anyway.

SpareMan

Feb 8, 2006
It should be on Castrol Longlife SLX 2 or 3.

All the 2.0T FSI engines would use this I would have thought until the first service when you'll have the option of continuing to use this per Longlife Servicing regime or change to another oil for annual servicing.

I was under the impression that the long life oils were recommended for the high power diesels but now you have sown a seed of doubt in my mind. I will check it out. However if it is one of the long life oils it will be the long life III

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
Yeah LL3 replaces LL2 but some stealers will try and offload you it to clear their stock.

All the GTI 2.0TFSI owners I know are on Longlife regimes as the cars came with that oil from the factory. It's certainly not restricted to the diesels.

SpareMan

Feb 8, 2006
Yeah LL3 replaces LL2 but some stealers will try and offload you it to clear their stock.

All the GTI 2.0TFSI owners I know are on Longlife regimes as the cars came with that oil from the factory. It's certainly not restricted to the diesels.

LL3 does not replace LL2.

As far as SEAT is concerned LL2 is recommended for Ibiza Cupra 160PS, LL3 for all models 170PS and above (though I thought this was just diesel models not petrol).

GTi's will have Longlife oil because they are on Long life servicing schedules, SEAT's are all on fixed schedules. It doesn't matter if they are petrol or diesel, all cars on long life service schedules will obviously have long life oil in them.

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
Hmm.

So same engine, yet they come out with different servicing schedules cos of different brand within VAG group?

That's a new one.

My stealer said LL3 supercedes/replaces LL2 (why have a new version anyway then if it doesn't replace it?)

But then again I take anything the stealers say with a pinch of salt!

SpareMan

Feb 8, 2006
Hmm.

So same engine, yet they come out with different servicing schedules cos of different brand within VAG group?

That's a new one.

My stealer said LL3 supercedes/replaces LL2 (why have a new version anyway then if it doesn't replace it?)

But then again I take anything the stealers say with a pinch of salt!

Not a new one to most of us. VW / Audi and some Skodas have been on variable servicing for many years. All SEAT's are on fixed servicing.

LL2 VW standard 503.00 / 506.00 / 506.01
LL3 VW standard 504.00 / 507.00

so they are designed for different engines. If you want to pay for more expensive oil then either LL2 or LL3 can go into TDi's and PD engines. However LL2 is not for the new TDi with particulate filters, similarly it implies that LL3 should not go into the Ibiza Cupra 160PS engines

SpareMan

Feb 8, 2006
And I have just spoken to someone 'in the know' and the 2.0 TFSi is OK with Synta Gold for example. The LL3 oil 'for engines of 170PS or above' is only a relevant statement for the PD diesels. Though as Chungster implied you can put LL3 into it if you want, though to me it is an unnecessary expense

fivetones

Jul 26, 2005
Cheshire
I know it's not the same but I've just got some 507.00/504.00 for our FR TDI (it's PD with a DPF, I'm posting this because I see a lot of misinformation on forums like this).

14 quid for 1ltr.

The details will be in the manual for your car.

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
I know it's not the same but I've just got some 507.00/504.00 for our FR TDI (it's PD with a DPF, I'm posting this because I see a lot of misinformation on forums like this).

14 quid for 1ltr.

The details will be in the manual for your car.

Just gone down this route myself for my TDi FR, Manual clearly states 507.00 for TDi with DPF (also states damage will result if you do not use correct oil). Spoke to two garages and both were still quoting 501.00 / 505.00 spec and supplied me with top up assuring it correct!. Being cynical about dealers i contacted Seat UK and quoted my manual details. apparently mine was more up to date than info he had. they have come back to me this morning and confirmed it must be 507.00. Spoke to dealer who has now gone away and got upto date info and confirms 507.00 is required!! Could have been expensive if i had trusted Dealer!
Paul

uzzy

Run In!
Aug 8, 2006
Stone, Staffordshire
Being cynical about dealers i contacted Seat UK
Paul

Thanks guy's. I've been putting off top up just because of these very reasons. The advice is to stick with what it says in the manual, but which VW standard 501.01 / 502.00 / 504.00 shall I put in?

I would think to mix oil types (even within spec) with something different that is already in the engine is a bad idea.

Would Seat UK know? what number did you call?

SpareMan

Feb 8, 2006
Thanks guy's. I've been putting off top up just because of these very reasons. The advice is to stick with what it says in the manual, but which VW standard 501.01 / 502.00 / 504.00 shall I put in?

I would think to mix oil types (even within spec) with something different that is already in the engine is a bad idea.

Would Seat UK know? what number did you call?

All of those are fine, just be sure that if you have 504.00 already in it only top up with 504.00, if you have 502.00 you can top up with 502.00 or 504.00 in other words there is no harm in topping up with better spec oils

SpareMan

Feb 8, 2006
Just gone down this route myself for my TDi FR, Manual clearly states 507.00 for TDi with DPF (also states damage will result if you do not use correct oil). Spoke to two garages and both were still quoting 501.00 / 505.00 spec and supplied me with top up assuring it correct!. Being cynical about dealers i contacted Seat UK and quoted my manual details. apparently mine was more up to date than info he had. they have come back to me this morning and confirmed it must be 507.00. Spoke to dealer who has now gone away and got upto date info and confirms 507.00 is required!! Could have been expensive if i had trusted Dealer!
Paul

All SEAT dealers were made aware back in May which oil should go into the 170PS engines

uzzy

Run In!
Aug 8, 2006
Stone, Staffordshire
I've just been down to the stealers to pick up some oil for my TFSI FR. My thoughts were if they confirmed the oil type then I'm corvered for warranty if its wrong. Even got they to write on the reciept ok for FR and sign it. I asked them several times to check it is the right type, and they confirmed every time. I even took my handbook in for them to take a look at!

So I get back home, ready to put the oil in and just check it matches the handbook, and guess what it dosent. They gave me 10W40 WV 500.00 (in very small print)! I went back to complain, and they are in complete confusion as to the oil type I need. IDIOTS!

One thing to come out from this is I'll never get my car serviced at this dealer!

fivetones

Jul 26, 2005
Cheshire
It's not exactly hard. Why is that us internet people who don't do this for a living, know more than the people that do it for a living?

All it takes is a quick look in the manual, get the specs. Buy the oil. Divs.

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
I've just been down to the stealers to pick up some oil for my TFSI FR. My thoughts were if they confirmed the oil type then I'm corvered for warranty if its wrong. Even got they to write on the reciept ok for FR and sign it. I asked them several times to check it is the right type, and they confirmed every time. I even took my handbook in for them to take a look at!

So I get back home, ready to put the oil in and just check it matches the handbook, and guess what it dosent. They gave me 10W40 WV 500.00 (in very small print)! I went back to complain, and they are in complete confusion as to the oil type I need. IDIOTS!

One thing to come out from this is I'll never get my car serviced at this dealer!

Just phoned FRF in Swansea to get a price for the oil I stated clearly that it was a TFSI 2.0 and they told me that I needed any good quality semi synthetic 10-40 oil. They could do me a litre for £4.25. I asked if it complies to the VW standards as I was under the impression that all the VW oils were fully synthetic, they checked with the techncian who said they use semi synthetic 10-40 for all their cars not neccessay for any VW approval.

This does not leave me with confidence about taking my car there for a service in 8500 miles time.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.