Which oil

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
On the subject of oil ... multigrade oil behaves like a thin oil when cold - 0w-30, as stated the 0 indicates it flows with the viscosity of water when its cold, and is thicker (30) when warm to cling, protect and disipate heat better.

I can't help think the the old adage of changing the oil when the engine is warm so it flows better is not applicable - for the last 40 years or so since multigrade oils became popular.

Thoughts anyone?

I do like a good oil change BTW :)

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Oil is thinner when warm. That goes for 0w-30 to.

Below you have a very good video explaining just what you ask. "Engeneering Explained " again ;)!

Reactions: Cupra306Form

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
Oil is thinner when warm. That goes for 0w-30 to.

Below you have a very good video explaining just what you ask. "Engeneering Explained " again ;)!

Thanks, very interest. I did wonder if the craze for thin oil was all about fractional gains in low emmissions at the risk of less protection, I'm not however convinced that garages or even main dealers use the correct grade when they have a ruddy big drum of 10w-30 (or whatever) just sitting there ...

Reactions: Mo_86

Mo_86

Sep 25, 2023
UK
I think for us uk drivers 5w30 should be good enough?
As my engine, the 190 tsi with the wierd compression and budak cycle, I'm rethinking if i should even bother remapping sometime in the near future now.