Removing wing mirror cover

Tell

Staff member
Help, in connection with

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106681

I have now got the parts but need to remove the mirror cover. Least I think that's what you do. Since I don't want to scratch the plastic or force it how does one proceed ?.

Do you do it with the mirror folded in, out. Put a screw driver under the plastic at certain places ?.

I think that's the bit I need to remove the back of the mirror, I presume it's a similar procedure as to changing the mirror glass. The slightly worrying bit is that the plastic wraps around so I reckon there is a knack in doing it. Those people putting pretty bits of plastic on their Alteas will have done this, but since they were changing the cover they may not have been too bothered with wrecking what they had.

ummm OK any advance on a thin blade:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46353&highlight=wing+mirror+cover

"Its dead easy if you fold them in first and then ease the old covers off with a thin blade or something. T'others just push back in. "

Have another go... but in the meantime.

Nope ones starting to get little nick marks around it there must be a way of doing it that doesn't damage it !.... help.

Last edited:

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Hi Tell

Just remove the small plastic trim on the front edge of the doors by pulling at the top and when the top is free just lift it upwards to free the locator at the bottom.

No brute force required.

This trim covers two torx screws which hold the mirror onto the door.

You can then remove the mirror from the outside of the car - bottom edge first. Again just gentle pulling.

The foam strips are then easy to fit -- stick the long one to the car door vertical pillar which is now exposed and the shaped one fits onto the mirror itself.

If you stick it to the glass you will not be able to use the windows !!

Hope this helps

jonial

Tell

Staff member
Jonial I'm trying to work it out.

"Just remove the small plastic trim on the front edge of the doors by pulling at the top and when the top is free just lift it upwards to free the locator at the bottom."

It is the outside mirror cover that I am to remove is it ?. ie. the silver cover if your car is silver or are we talking about the black bit ?. I thought it was the cover that matches your car unless you have changed it or have an FR.

Basically my cover is sunk into the black plastic surround and the more I stuck a knife in the more marks it left.

I'm lost on this one

"The foam strips are then easy to fit -- stick the long one to the car door vertical pillar which is now exposed and the shaped one fits onto the mirror itself."

I have the long one true, the shaped one goes on the back of the mirror I thought, but then you got:

"If you stick it to the glass you will not be able to use the windows !!"

ummm so if you'd like to take it apaprt again using a camera or Klawit. I asked him last year on the thread and he said it's a bit complicated, it still seems to be a bit to me.

I thought the bits of foam went inside the mirror assembly, I'm thinking they don't now. Any chance of JPEGs guys as to what the process is and where the bits go.

I need a picture !!!. I asked the guy in the garage for fitting instructions [the person with the three] and he didn't have any.

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
& whilst I type that Klawit been out with his camera before I asked even and the posts cross, lets see :).
... ups, just read your starter again and found out, that you're only heading for the "mirror-kit" installation.

So you don't really need to clip off the mirror covers for that.

As so often with retrofitting parts, my Sporty my06 already came with the kit, that's why I can't tell by own experience.

Hope this info reaches you in time ... Klaus

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Hi Tell

You do need to remove the whole mirror not the external cover.

Klawits pictures show it all -- unfortunately I cant speak German so the description is lost on me.

It is easy for me because I have done the job myself.

Hope this clarifies things a bit more

Tell

Staff member
Thanks both Klawit and Jonial, I was burried into reading the German pages, put German radio on since I thought this might help and jazz is relaxing, realised the error of my ways. Yes I got to take the mirror off, the foam bits don't need to go in there but in the door assembly of how it bolts to the car. So yes Klawit I got to that bit after I worked out the second link.

The translation is as follows:

Installation mirror kit!!!

ALTEA(5P1)
TOLEDO(5P2)

All versions OUTSIDE MIRROR, wind noises STARTING FROM 80 KM/H

A cause: Entrance of air between mirror basic carriers and door.

Series: Change at the outside mirror.

Starting from 02.2005, Frg.-Nr.:5R071373

1. From the interior of the vehicle from the cover remove, which the mirror fixing bolts abdecken.(Abb.1)

2. the two Spiegelbefestigungsschrauben(Torx) solve and unscrew.

3. The mirror remove.

4. The foam pads, as in the illustrations 2 and 3 represented, contained in the repair kit, attach.

5. The two foam pads into the mirrors use, one in curved form, the other one in straight lines form. Here the same pictures again in somewhat larger representation:

http://img379.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1bx4.jpg

http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2oi0.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3ya3.jpg

So thanks again Klawit you can give Oliviu a hug from me, so hopefully I'll be able to get the trim off ok. Just as well I didn't force the mirror cover too much :doh: .

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Hi Tell and of course Klawit

Glad to have helped a bit but sorry I can't do the pictures as well as Klawit !!

I do hope you are as happy as I am with the resultant wind noise elimination

Jonial

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Thanks both Klawit and Jonial, I was burried into reading the German pages, put German radio on since I thought this might help and jazz is relaxing, realised the error of my ways. Yes I got to take the mirror off, the foam bits don't need to go in there but in the door assembly of how it bolts to the car. So yes Klawit I got to that bit after I worked out the second link.

The translation is as follows:
So thanks again Klawit you can give Oliviu a hug from me, so hopefully I'll be able to get the trim off ok. Just as well I didn't force the mirror cover too much :doh: .
Hi Tell,

glad you came across the hints in time ...

And the translation is just another great bit of ... GoogleTrans ... I assume ... :D

I sure will tell Oliviu about the successes, his guideline is experiencing all over the world ... ;) ...
... and cheers to jonial as well.

Little secret about the pictures: Most of the time they're already at hand, as I'm just the keeper of the "library" (being Mod in the german board)

bye for now ... Klaus

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members