has anybody heard of a sprint booster?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Sounds interesting. There is very little solid information on their site though, so I'd like to know more about what it does, how and why! Can't decide if this a genius idea, or something that should be sold on eBay alongside electric superchargers and 20bhp resistor chips.

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
ye, i have to say i have my doubts about how you could speed up the drive by wire system without modifying it (i.e. just by adding something else). smells like bulls**t to me but i wait to be proved wrong.

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
I'm a little sceptical... So you fit it to the accelerator peddle, it reads the throttle position, does some calculations and then "speeds up the signal"? Call me dim but how can you speed up an electrical signal without going for gold/fibre optic cables?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
probably get better results adding some decent earths in the right places if electronic signal is involved

*edit* PMSL - you seen the price they are charging for them ?

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
£200 :eek: I dont understand how it could possibly speed it up? Its surely going through more circuits and therefore slower, it must be "simplifying" the signal sent to the ECU so its processed quicker

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i wouldn't mind trying one but i'm not paying nearly £200 for the privilege!

about sums it up for me too really

if it also added a genuine (50bhp for example) then that would be worth looking at

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
taken from this months performance vw
"according to the chaps at tuning werkes, sprint booster is an exciting new device that improves acceleration on drive-by-wire cars by continuously measuring and converting the digital signal providing the ECM (electronic control module) with a new and altered signal. don't know about all this technical gobbledygook, but if it loses the flat spot often linked with most new-wave cars, then it's got to be a good idea. we haven't tested one yet but they're available for most models in the current VAG range. at less than £200 it's surely worth a look. apparently tuning werkes has been testing one on a customer's mk4 1.8T and reported response time has certainly improved with customers noticing gains in the mid-range response and downshifting. for more info get on the blower to ruben (0208 6810208), or check out www.tuningwerkes.com"

at this point i' like to point out that until i see proof i am also an interested sceptic and not trying to sell this wonder widget for tuning werkes or sprint booster themselves................. thank you! :D

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
by the description of what happens i can only assume (probably wrongly) that it alters the signal ratio sent to the throttle

i.e. if 1:1 down 10% equals 10% throttle then when fitted 10% pedal equals 20% throttle ?

probably completely wrong :) but hey worth a stab and wouldn't mind getting the multimeter out to test a before and after to see if the idea is right

used to do a similar idea back in the old twin 40 carbs days by making the throttle pedal travel shorter = less press to more opening

i reckon it could make em quite jumpy and probably render the top 25% of pedal travel useless

very interesting

andycupra

status subject to change
at best its going to speed up the signal from 0.002 secs to 0.001 secs.
hardly something you will actually notice!?

or like stated above, just means 10mm of movement on the throttle is updated to represent 20mm. so the throttle is shorter. which is something we can do without on VAG cars.

it would be cheaper to move the seat forward one click.

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
i was speaking to one of the lads at TTS today and he said pretty much the same thing. he had only heard good things about these as he has a MK4 golf with a cable operated TB he really notices how much smoother his car is compred to a DBW car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members