Leon Mk1 front subframe bushings

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Ordinary subframe bushings (one-piece, thick rubber) can wear out and have increased "play", but I would expect this to happen after many hundreds of thousands of miles, more than useful life of a car

~Nautilus

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
It was a bit obvious that less understeer can be acquired only by generating a bit of oversteer :p :)

I've found two more types of spacers, from H&R, at a local shop, one is 5mm wide (therefore 10mm track increase) the other 8mm (total track increase 16mm). They are both sold by pair (1 axle) and fit by wheel studs: they slip over the raised hub and holes fit over stud holes in the brake disc, they are compressed by wheel as stud tightens

Should give a try with 5mm first

~Nautilus

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
So remember you will need longer bolts by the amount/thickness of the spacers. Unless these there hucentric then they will have separate bolts

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
5mm spacers fit over the hub built in the brake disc center, with an inverted conic hole which fits over the flared base of the hub. They won't fit in reverse due to the shape of the hole

When fitted, original wheel bolts still had about 2cm of thread to go into the disc

Track increase by 10mm seems to produce some effects, although the road was wet and my summer tyres do not cope very well, still it appears to have got a slight oversteer at a sudden turn-in (maybe on dry road the tendency will be compensated to neutral). As I have always wanted a neutral car, it seems now over- and understeer balance each other

Later Edit:

Finally got rid of understeer, at least for reasonable speeds. After 3 years of laboring and spending, the Leon truly drives like my 1966 VW Beetle on twisty roads... and it's still on factory springs and shocks, and has no rear aftermarket ARB :D

At motorway speeds the steering becomes very light after the front track increase - it steers literally at the lightest kink of the steering wheel towards left or right. It's the only thing which can influence in a negative manner the stability of the car

~Nautilus

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I think the subframes themselves will be the same but its the bushes and swing arms (Lower Control Arms or Wish bones) that are different. If you take a look at my readers rides page close to the end you will see pictures of both of the above with bushes.

Also register with www.vagcat.com and you can search throught exploded parts drawings of pretty much your whole car, this gives part numbers for ordering too.

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
I'd like to thank all fellow members for useful info

I revive this topic to ask experienced members about some minor mods which are supposed to enhance handling and driving experience even further:

- Bonrath top mounts for lowering the car while keeping factory springs. There are a type of front axle top mounts from Bonrath rated to drop the bodywork by 10-15mm in front, and a rear axle type from MHW rated to drop by 5mm in the rear. On my car the gap from wheel to arch is about 60mm front and rear, and I would not drop it via springs since the minimum possible is -20mm this way. Is there any risk in using other top mounts than factory (ride harshness, body roll, bump steer, heavy wear etc)?

- VF Engineering or Vibratechnics engine mounts. They are said to reduce engine "slop" with very little increase in vibration, but the only honest review from an user was from an R32, which like all 6-cylinder engines is smoother running compared to a 4-cylinder. Is there any risk of running harsh from using stronger mounts?

- Polyurethane bushings and drop-link bushings for factory front ARB. Do they increase the stiffness of the ARB and improve handling? Is the understeer influenced?

Thank you,

~Nautilus

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise