Back of the Aura Head Unit

RVP09

Sep 24, 2009
Alright guys?

Was just wondering whether anyone had a picture of the rear of the standard AURA head unit on a Leon MK1? I am thinking of buying this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-MP3-CD-Ch...S_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP?hash=item27ad7e38fa

It allows you connect a USB stick with MP3s on it, and it 'fools' your head unit into thinking it's still the CD changer connected. Seems pretty cool.

However, i don't know which connection i've got at teh back of my head unit, whether it's a VAGS for single din (normal size stereos) or VAGD for double din (double height stereos).

Can someone help me with this? I'm not the most technically-savvy bloke, so would appreciate it if someone could give me some advice here.

PS Has anyone had one of these installed? If so, what is it like? Any good?

Cheers in advance lads.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
That plugs in to the cd changer connector behind the glovebox.
I know because i use similar to play my iphone through the standad aura unit.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
can get a pic later if needed had it out the other day may look into this then , as im thinking of changing the oem one, but do like it on other hand

how does it play them then , assume cant be in mpr format , as the changer wont read mp3 formats

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Mine converts a 3.5mm jack via the changer port, you put the changer "on" then use whatever you wany ipod iphone any phone with 3.5mm jack, this one just allows a memory stick though

Here is the rear of the Aura

aurajs1.jpg

RVP09

Sep 24, 2009
That plugs in to the cd changer connector behind the glovebox.
I know because i use similar to play my iphone through the standad aura unit.

Thanks for replying.

Are you sure it connects into the back of the CD changer? I was under the impression that it had to be connected to the back of the head unit.

PS how do I determine whether I need a VAGS or VAGD?

Thanks in advance.

RVP09

Sep 24, 2009
can get a pic later if needed had it out the other day may look into this then , as im thinking of changing the oem one, but do like it on other hand

how does it play them then , assume cant be in mpr format , as the changer wont read mp3 formats

Yeah, if you can take a pic of the back of the head unit,. that will be much appreciated mate.

RVP09

Sep 24, 2009

Yeah, I was thinking of getting that too, but then I thought: A) I don't have an iPod or any mp3 player for that matter lol and B) I don't think I could be bothered consatntly charging the damn thing.

This USB memory stick option is very convenient, as you can buy a 16gb memory stick for like £7 these days, and all you have to do is create 6 folders and bung all your MP3s into them. Then you use your CD changer buttons ( 1 to 6) on your head unit to flick between the folders. It's awesome like that.

Now all I have to do is get to grips with the technical side of it!! :cartman:

:think:

RVP09

Sep 24, 2009
The black connector is the same as the cd changer I'm quite sure :)

Yeah the USB would suit you better, more than me.

Cheers pal. Are you talking about the VAG-T on the eBay link I posted?

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
On the auction it says

For VW, Seat and Skoda we have a trunk mounting cable. You can use the CD changer port located in the boot of your car to connect your adapter to the car stereo. Upon request we can supply you with that cable instead of standard dashboard mounting cable. Please visit stores.ebay.co.uk/carputer-shop for more details about the boot mounting cable or contact us.

But or CD changer mounts in the glovebox.

RVP09

Sep 24, 2009
On the auction it says

But or CD changer mounts in the glovebox.

Nice one mate. I missed that part in the ad!

So, that said, is this a fairly straight-forward job to do? Ideally, I want to fit it in myself.

RVP09

Sep 24, 2009
No problem, it look likes it comes with a 3.5mm jack plug too, so 1/2 the price of the connects one, bargain!

Yeah, I noticed that. It's handy to have that option as well.

Btw, how do you remove the CD changer from the glove compartment in order to get to the back of it? Is it held down by some bolts? Or is it clipped in somehow?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members