Handbrake issues

Buzzlightyear

Mar 17, 2014
Hi, parked the leon (fr tdi184) in an inclined parking space today, applied handbrake and noticed car started to slip forward as i got out of the vehicle. Got back in and found handbrake had been applied as firmly as possible, but car still made creeping movements with accompanying groan of rear brakes. Anyone else had such issues or needed to have handbrake adjusted already? - I've only done just over 1000 miles.

ToroNegro

Dec 12, 2011
The Black Country
I've noticed they don't seem to be adjusted very tightly. Neither if the Leon's I test drive nor mine. The lever goes through near its max travel to be anywhere near secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I never had the problem of the car creeping but whenever it's parked on a slight hill it makes a terrible noise when I get in or out. This has happened from new and it's now done 9000 miles, I thought the rear brakes just needed wearing in.

kingstonian

Jan 22, 2014
Athens | Greece
the greek dealer told us that we should bring it back after 1500km, around 1000 miles for re-adjustment and tightening of certain points ...stating as example the handbrake and various "bits and bolts"!!

he mentioned that forgetting to do that on time it would be pointless to do it afterwards!!
Good thing is that it will be a process free of charge!!

ps at a slope mine indeed rolled back, but with release and tight and strong pull it was firmly locked..

Last edited:

NinjaPirateUK

Alor Blue Leon SC 1.8 TSI
Sep 7, 2009
I have a similar issue. My drive is in a steepish incline, I drive on forwards, stop on the brakes, pull the handbrake on and release the brakes. After a second or so the hill hold lets go and the car settles onto the handbrake. At this point the car has a real tendency to creep backwards down the drive.

I just leave it in gear. I have zero trust in the handbrake if the car isn't on the level. I'd have to really wrench on the handbrake to hold the car reliably, more than should ever be necessary.

The amount of times I've been fishing around for my phone in the centre console, only to realise I'm moving backwards slowly, I wouldn't like to count.

I live facing down a bit of a hill, at a guess, the car could freewheel to at least 30mph before it reaches the guy at the bottom's driveway. I wouldn't want to have to explain that one...

wilko55

Handbrake failed

Similar problem with my vehicle today, parked car on a slight incline with handbrake applied and after approximately 10 minutes it suddenly rolled quickly backwards and struck another parked vehicle. Car has only done 1600 miles. CCTV camera picked up the incident and showed that car had not moved for several minutes. Is this a common problem for this new model??? (Leon ST FR 184)

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
I had this problem on my last car with no hill hold. VW Golf, wife parked it outside house, slight incline. 10 or so minutes later I looked out car gone, panic, police called, car stolen, wife went outside car had rolled down road and come to rest against metal fence on opposite side of road. Main bus route so lucky it did not collide with anything i.e. another vehicle or worse a person. Damage one ruined mudflap and a couple of scrapes on rear bumper, total cost to repair £100. Handbrake was definately on when I got into car:confused:

Now car never ever gets parked without being put in gear even on a perfectly flat road. First time in over 40 years of driving it had ever happened.

BRaff

Leon 184 Fr tdi hand brake failure

Today, I parked my 4 week old Leon on my drive which is on a slight incline. 4 hours later an alarm went off, and when I looked out of the window I saw that my car was in the middle of the road, crashed into another car. The handbrake was definitely on. I'm going to see the dealer tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced similiar issues or have any advice?

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
My ST Dsg does this slight shimmy backward on the handbrake too. Always just a few seconds after applying the handbrake. I must admit it's comforting knowing that it can't go anywhere anyway, being a DSG, but it is still quite disconcerting! None of my previous cars have ever shimmied, auto or manual. However, the handbrake did completely fail on my Range Rover... But it got stuck on due to failed electrics, it didn't let go! I'd rather that than find it in a hedge, I must admit...

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
This is why i always leave a car in gear when parked up. A handbrake alone can never be trusted to hold your car.

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
Guys there is an official solution.

When you're applying the handbrake, put your foot hard on the brake pedal first and whilst applying pressure to the brake pedal, pull up the handbrake. You'll notice the handbrake will now allow you to pull it up higher.

This is how you apply a greater hold on the car.

One you do this, the handbrake has some immense holding power. More so than any other I've had the pleasure of using!

It states this in the handbook too.

I was told by a VW technician at my local VW dealer when I had a mk6 golf. The system is the same in my Leon.

JsyCuPrA

Jun 16, 2003
Oxfordshire
Visit site
Had the same issue with my FR 150 at work. Parked applied handbrake, got out and went to work. An hour latter got told my car had rolled into another car. Luckly impact was really slow so no damage to either car. Strange thing is it took over an hour to move after I had left it. Called Seat Assistance out, he checked and said it was fine. After reading the above, trip to the dealers is on !

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Had this happen to me at the weekend when I popped into Ikea.

Parked on a small incline with the handbrake applied.

Returned to find the car had rollled back a little and handbrake was in the off position. Now I know i deffo put the handbrake on as the car would have rolled back when I tried to get out.

Luckily the incline was like a v so car just stopped in the middle and double lucky that no one was parked behind me.

bit worrying though.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Handbrakes should never be trusted on a car with rear disc brakes, as they cool, the metal contracts and the car rolls off, thats why you are supposed to leave in gear or point the front wheels in such a way the car can't roll off. Or just buy a DSG and it won't let you take the key out till you put it in park, simples.:D

Last edited:

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
Guys there is an official solution.

When you're applying the handbrake, put your foot hard on the brake pedal first and whilst applying pressure to the brake pedal, pull up the handbrake. You'll notice the handbrake will now allow you to pull it up higher.

This is how you apply a greater hold on the car.

One you do this, the handbrake has some immense holding power. More so than any other I've had the pleasure of using!

It states this in the handbook too.

I was told by a VW technician at my local VW dealer when I had a mk6 golf. The system is the same in my Leon.

I can verify that I had the same problem with my Golf at first but seems to have cured after first 3 months so it must be a VAG problem Maybe That why the New Golf has Gone to Electric Hand Brake ???

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members