Arrived home on a recovery truck tonight :-(

monopoly

May 22, 2015
Car had been parked up all day, then about half a mile into my drive home this evening I became aware of a ticking noise, rising and falling with engine revs. Assumed it was something minor that I would get booked in for next week.

Next thing I know, smoke from the engine bay (oil burning), oil pressure light on, dash lights everywhere and oil all over the road and engine bay. Pretty sure there's none left in there. :cry:

Luckily was close to a petrol station so pulled in and called recovery.

1.2TSI with only 21k miles on it. :( Any ideas before I get it towed again to a garage?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Car had been parked up all day, then about half a mile into my drive home this evening I became aware of a ticking noise, rising and falling with engine revs. Assumed it was something minor that I would get booked in for next week.

Next thing I know, smoke from the engine bay (oil burning), oil pressure light on, dash lights everywhere and oil all over the road and engine bay. Pretty sure there's none left in there. :cry:

1.2TSI with only 21k miles on it. :( Any ideas before I get it towed again to a garage?

Could be a variety of things, so no idea. Best of luck getting it back on the road.

Rob

Nov 19, 2015
Think i have just decided to withdraw my purchase! I may lose 250 quid but its better than 8k!! Im meant to be paying for it on monday. Think il be phoning and looking for a 1.6 tdi instead!

monopoly

May 22, 2015
Well obviously I'm annoyed but I do a lot of research about a car / engine before I part with my cash and I've never read anything like this before on the 1.2TSI so I was pretty surprised tonight, as was the guy who recovered me.

I've probably just been unlucky and it's worth saying that until today the car has been very reliable and the 1.2TSI is a great engine. I'm just really hoping it an easy fix, under warranty.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire

Obviously it could be many things based on the description. Worst case it could of ran low on oil the ticking noise would of been the bearings going and then eventually it has seized and thrown a rod maybe, if oil is outside of the engine and all on the road it clearly has to come out somewhere and i'm guessing your sump plug was tightened correctly and hasn't fell out?

When was the last time you checked the oil level?

Rob

Nov 19, 2015
I feel for you monopoly i really do. Don't get me wrong i love the drive of it but i feel like it may be a money pit! Be interested to find out what it is. As for me, I'm upsetting the west london seat garage on monday. Turbos, ticking, cam chains, your one crapping itself everywhere. Think il go with the tdi. A DPF i can live with, all that i can't :(

monopoly

May 22, 2015
I haven't been able to do much investigation yet as it's dark, so I don't know if the sump plug is sound. I imagine so though, as I wouldn't expect oil to be so high up in the engine bay if it was leaking from the plug?

It's only had one service so far, at SEAT. Funnily enough I checked the tyres and oil on both of our cars last weekend as we had a long journey to do.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Is your car still under warranty? If it is don't sweat. If not, and serviced on schedule, then SEAT should do the honouable thing and sort it. If it's serious then speak to Seat customer services. Unfortunately these things happen. I know it doesn't help when it causes such inconvenience but don't let SEAT wriggle out of sorting it out. All the best

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Very sorry to hear that especially as I too have a1.2.

Catastrophic failure is always terrifying when it happens.

As above, is it under warranty and had it just been in for a service ?

I've heard of shoddy workmanship not tightening the sump plug but I don't know of any other service routine that requires any oil line being touched.

Would contact SEAT cs without delay and get them on the case especially if you get into a dispute with the garage.. Failing that are you a member of a motoring organisation with relevant legal cover? They can provide an independent engineers report.

Finally press for a courtesy car from your dealer. . You might also mention consequential loss if there had been negligence

Last edited:

monopoly

May 22, 2015
Just fished out the service book and it had its last service, at SEAT, at about 15k miles. So I've driven about 6k in it since then. I would have thought if the sump plug was loose, it would have failed a long time ago.

Anyway, I'm being towed to SEAT this morning so I'll post up the diagnosis as soon as I hear something.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
My previous car had the 1.2 TSI engine (Polo) and I loved it, I actually miss it now despite having a Cupra. I had mine remapped and it was a very nippy little car on the turbo. Best of luck getting it back soon mate, hopefully it won't be anything too bad.

monopoly

May 22, 2015
Thanks. Dropped off today and I have a courtesy car now so can't fault the service so far! Hopefully will hear some news on Monday.

Rob

Nov 19, 2015
Good luck monopoly. Did you buy the car from the same dealer you dropped it off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monopoly

May 22, 2015
No. I bought the car from a dealer about 100 miles away as there weren't many to choose from when I was buying. I've dropped it at a fairly local dealer which I used to use a lot when I had my MK1 Leon's but haven't used them for a few years.

Rob

Nov 19, 2015
I'm ment to be buying a 1.2 tsi Leon and transferring money next week. It's got 19k on it. I'm picking it up from west London seat but I live in Kent. Hoping the closest seat will still do warranty work as its a different franchise

Blaine

Apr 12, 2012
That's crap to hear, hopefully it's a easy fix of some sort, keep us updated on what the cause was.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
I've got a 1.2 had since new in May 2013 been faultless really so far has a warranty fix for oil usage last March but otherwise fantastic. Really happy with economy and performance for a 1.2 in car of this size. I've now done 19k and by time car is 3 years old will expect to be about 21/22k. Not that high mileage I know. Hope your car is an easy fix but I'd happily buy another 1.2 and I don't think it's an unreliable engine.

Last edited:

Rob

Nov 19, 2015
A litre every 2250 miles don't sound good

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.