1.0 EcoTSI DSG MPG

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
So I decided to see how much MPG I could sqeeze out of my 1.0 EcoTSI (yes sad I know).

Usually I fill her up with some Shell/Esso/BP 95 RON, and just for curiosity sake, I decided to top up with a full tank of Shell VPower 99 RON, and do a comparison. The journey in question, is a 18 mile round trip to drop off 'the GF' usually leave mine around 23:15 ish, and will return by mid-night. Traffic conditions, light, couple of traffic lights here and there, 30-50mph limit roads.

With Shell Regular ...
20170320_001649_resized.jpg

With Shell VPower (btw...I also missed the turn off at the roundabout twice due to roadworks confusing me! hence lower average speed and had lower mpg [:@], and a bit more (maybe 1/2 mile) distance, else I think 62.5mpg was possible!)
20170528_004242_resized.jpg

First leg of journey with Shell Vpower (without missing the turn off)
20170528_002201_resized.jpg

Stratford Westfields to Shepherd's Bush Westfields journey via central London Bank holiday Sunday just past on Vpower, very little traffic. (on 95 RON fuel, this would be around 51-52mpg tops).
20170528_092058_resized.jpg

So at least according to the trip computer, V power does give better milleage. Reality (brim to brim calculators), I do not know. I've also tried Tesco Momentum 99, didn't see any change in mpg.

Powerwise neither Momentum 99 nor Vpower 99, I could feel any difference from this 999cc engine, but did notice on Vpower 99, car is less stuttery when going from min revs to 2k revs.

Judging by the computers' mpg figures, on a full tank, the Vpower is cheaper or the same to run despite a 10p difference per litre. Realistically I don't know. Of course each to their own on what they want to fill their car up with.

Last edited:

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
That's some impressive figures there. I have noticed now that the mornings are warmer, and especially since it's half term at the moment...ive managed 51mpg (indicated) this week on my commute in to work. Usually when it's not half term I get about 42. I think I can also easily be attributed to the recent warmer weather too.

On a trip down to Heathrow a few weeks back I managed an indicated 54mpg without trying so hopefully I should get a bit more if I tried harder!

I have noticed it's started to run a little louder again recently. I have run BP 95 for the last two tanks so not sure what to go for next as I'm due a fill up. I may well stick to BP 95 for the Nectar points!

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
On a trip down to Heathrow a few weeks back I managed an indicated 54mpg without trying so hopefully I should get a bit more if I tried harder!

Funny you should say that, I did the Heathrow exercise last Sunday. From Westfield Stratford via central London to Heathrow (just me in car), and back via M25 doing 65-75mph there (2 extra passenger + 2 suitcases). Total of about 90 miles, trip computer says 54mpg since start.

If I remembered correctly just before I parked up at Heathrow, it was 47mpg since start according to trip PC, but not sure if final 54mpg means I did ~ 56-57 mpg on the return leg and combined with 47 1st leg or just the return leg on M25.

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
A couple of days ago I filled with Shell V-Power again. I haven't used V-Power for a good few months now and have used a mixture of BP standard unleaded and Sainsbury's standard unleaded.

The 1.0TSI loves V-Power! The engine is so much quieter than with regular unleaded. I've not yet had the chance to observe MPG changes but overall impression of the engine sound is superb. It was getting quite loud on standard unleaded.
I also feel that torque is improved lower in the rev band, meaning the DSG feels better when changing gear and can make more use of the 'power'.

Interesting, just thought I'd post my observations...

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Tried BP 95 RON once, it's ok...however besides Vpower, it seems to prefer Esso 95 over Shell 95. Momentum 99 not so much either...

I need to pay attention about the other points, smoothness and gearshifts, engine note, refinement as my music is always on at least 1/3 volume, so i only really can hear the engine with that music on, if rpms rises over 4k rpm, which normally the DSG shifts so quickly it rarely goes past 2.5k.

Any annoying rattles in yours yet? I didn't find any on mine that were persistent, only sometime on cobbled stone streets. Mine is 8 months @ 4600miles. Plenty of smiles, but as I have the targus black rims, some minor scuff on the fronts rims. Black gloss nail polish from the other half sorted that cheaply (aesthically at least).

Long term mpg (seems to have reset) after 782 miles & 36 hrs of driving is 49.3mpg (no Vpower, just Esso 95 and Shell 95).

Edit* don't forget in Brazil a VAG 1.0 TSI pushed 134bhp when stock should have been 108 stock on dyno. I'm sure it was on some 99 RON fuel or similar.

Last edited:

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Oh yes I have some rattles!
Over on the passenger side either glove box area or door card area there is a persistent rattle which I can't pin down or stop. I've emptied the car of all of my possessions so I know it's something in the trim somewhere!!
Another rattle is my speedo and trim above it. This rattles over rough surfaces but a swift thud from my right fist does the trick usually :)

My long term MPG is sitting at 43MPG but I do very urban trips only and some days my trip MPG only just reaches 33MPG!

I might give Esso 95 a try next although there aren't many Esso stations around here for some reason, we seem to be dominated by BP and Shell stations!
I'll agree with you about the Momentum 99. I have tried that previously but as you said, nothing special in this car.

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Forgot to say, I'm not far from ticking over to 10,000 miles now!

KXL, is your exhaust very loud when the car is started from cold?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Oh yes I have some rattles!
Over on the passenger side either glove box area or door card area there is a persistent rattle which I can't pin down or stop. I've emptied the car of all of my possessions so I know it's something in the trim somewhere!!
Another rattle is my speedo and trim above it. This rattles over rough surfaces but a swift thud from my right fist does the trick usually :)

My long term MPG is sitting at 43MPG but I do very urban trips only and some days my trip MPG only just reaches 33MPG!

Sometimes it is the glove box, I tend to keep some napkins in there (in case to clean car, but also to stop anything rattling there but putting them on top and below of my stuff there.

Sometimes (from experience) the rattle comes from the passenger front seat belt draped over the 'seat drop' lever on my SC. Also sometime the seat rattles depend on the position it's at...

I experience some minor speedo / headlight switch vibration / rattle...but just a small powerful push on the dashboard between the headlight switch and driver's air vent, solves it, until the next bout of cobbled street / bumpy roads.

So far nothing else makes any noise that bothers me...once I found out it was the 'seat' breakdown cover tab attachment in between my car keys, the remote that opens my gate, and the dealership branding keyholder.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

I can't say I'm afraid, as everytime I use my car it's always from cold start, and it doesn't get used until 2-3 hours later when I return from my destination. Plus I normally get in car, put seatbelt, start car, wait 5 seconds and drive off! Windows closed.

I will have a listen today later, if I noticed anything different engine note wise...with my door still open when I start the engine. Compared to my Leon 2.0 TDI the engine on the 1.0 TSI gets up to temp a LOT quicker...like 50% quicker. Could it be this device to quickly pre-heat the engine?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I forgot to mention, my previous Mk3 Leon rattles more in the doors, dash, a pillar. But my nearest dealer sorted them out, fuss free and also rattle free. Annoyingly for me, one rattle stopped the morning I was going to the dealer to get it sorted, but 5 mins from arriving at the dealer it restarted, result! :D Never so happy to hear a rattle in this case.

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

Had a listen, yes it's a bit noiser (if door open) when starting from cold (eg...overnight). But inside the car, can't really tell unless listening very carefully.

Took me a while to compare, as when I use from cold, I'm in my residential parking (it's quiet here), when I get my car warm and return, I start it in a public place, so it's noisier.

Other day I had to return to my residental garage, drop off something, within 5 mins back to car, could hear engine less 'waily.' upon restart.

However compared the the clattery 2.0TDI I used to have, engine is very quiet, despite it's cold start volume..

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.